IronReload04 is offline "Rancid Protein Powder Mastermind Technician"

What happens to ingested protein while you are working out

What happens to the protein you just ate an hour before the workout while you are working out . Does your body use it as energy or is it spaired and used to start repairing muscle after a workout? I have read that protein is the first nutrient to get used over carbs and fats but i have heard a lot of people say to consume protein before a workout. just confused.

it is worthless to drink it during your workout if you intend it to be used FOR your workout. anything that could be used has to be consumed i think 3-4 hr before workout. maybe its six...

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    its takes 6 hours or so for LOW GI carbs to digest yes, but he means what happens to the protein you take in, in the meal b4 your workout. The fats or carbs that you take in with that meal are burned off as energy. while they are getting burned off that yeilds the proteins and amino acids to be used to build body protein. .aka muscle.

BOO YA!
    -DCB-

Quote Originally Posted by dalcowbag
    its takes 6 hours or so for LOW GI carbs to digest yes, but he means what happens to the protein you take in, in the meal b4 your workout. The fats or carbs that you take in with that meal are burned off as energy. while they are getting burned off that yeilds the proteins and amino acids to be used to build body protein. .aka muscle.

BOO YA!
    -DCB-
    to my understanding anything you eat or drink only an hour before is not used by your body during your workout. yes you could use maybe sugar or something, but i think that will only make you lathargic (sp?) people usually eat or drink a little something only to have somethi

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by )(PimP JuicE)(
    to my understanding anything you eat or drink only an hour before is not used by your body during your workout. yes you could use maybe sugar or something, but i think that will only make you lathargic (sp?) people usually eat or drink a little something only to have somethi
    True, it won't be used DURING your workout, but it will still be used.

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    True, it won't be used DURING your workout, but it will still be

used.
    yupyup. remember you grow outside the gym not in it

Then what is the best thing to eat before a workout?

Quote Originally Posted by IronReload04
    Then what is the best thing to eat before a workout?
    bro, nothing you eat before your workout is going to help you. some people think working out on an empty stomach is better because of increased blood going thru your body or somthing, arnold said it. anyways, others will have a little somthing before workout just to have somthing in their stomach. i usually eat peanut butter with a spoon, that shat is good. i guess to answer your question better, if you want somthing that you will use to help your workout, it will be what is eatin in the early AM...go from there.

SKiN is offline Member
    i usually eat peanut butter with a spoon, that shat is good.
    Holla PB is the SHAT!

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    bro, nothing you eat before your workout is going to help you. some people think working out on an empty stomach is better because of increased blood going thru your body or somthing, arnold said it. anyways, others will have a little somthing before workout just to have somthing in their stomach. i usually eat peanut butter with a spoon, that shat is good. i guess to answer your question better, if you want somthing that you will use to help your workout, it will be what is eatin in the early AM...go from there.

yeah hes right.. in addition if you have inadaquet protein intake your lifts will suffer... so make sure you get thoes meals in before hitting the weights..

IF what i ate an hour before workout has no impact, why does everyone say to do cardio on an empty stomache? i always thought that when i lift your body can use energy from what is in your stomache? I also read an article that suggested eating protein 1-3 hours before a lift to prevent protein breakdown.

IF what i ate an hour before workout has no impact, why does everyone say to do cardio on an empty stomache? i always thought that when i lift your body can use energy from what is in your stomache? I also read an article that suggested eating protein 1-3 hours before a lift to prevent protein breakdown.

So basically what you are saying is if i wake up at 9:00, eat from 9:00 to 9:15, and start lifting at 10:30, i am running on empty since what i ate is not absorbed and cant be used as energy?

you do cardio on an empty to burn the fat you already have on you. if you ate something b4 you would be buring that off. digested does not mean it has no use for 6 hours

Thumbs up

you do cardio on an empty to burn the fat you already have on you. if you ate something b4 you would be buring that off. digested does not mean it has no use for 6 hours
    exactly

Thumbs up

exactly

Thumbs up

exactly

exactly

exactly

holy ****...my bad it wouldn't fing post, just sitting there clicking it, as you can see

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    I don't agree. Whey protein is very fast acting. In as little as 1-2 hours after downing a shake, I notice an energy rush and corresponding crash 2 hours later.

Secondly, having free amino acids circulating in your blood stream during a workout reduces catabolism.

ive never had an "energy rush" from whey protein...yeah it will help with using energy of course just like anything you eat....

eggplant is offline Member
    i agree with most of the points said..foods have o be eaten at least 6 hrs o be digested and used for energy..but in terms of eating 1-2hrs before a workout..personally i would have a whey and flax shake..just to reduce catabolism..not to provide significant energy..and also to prevent me from feeling hungry..which could greatly affect ones workout! imagine your stomach rumbling while you're doing yout bi's curls! no..no no no

pvgirl08 is offline Female Member
    I did a bunch of research on protein for a class. Results showed that protein intake within 30 minutes before and 30 minutes after your workout decreased protein degredation. Results were equivocal whether immediately before or after is better, but all showed it is better then than an hour plus before or after. Did that make any sense.

ya, i read somthing like that too.

all i know is that i feel a helluva alot better during my workout if i had a meal 1 hour before.

This is my question to everybody who said eating basically does nothing for you as far as energy before a workout. How come i feel sluggish if i dont eat within 1-2 hours before a lift.

all i know is that i feel a helluva alot better during my workout if i had a meal 1 hour before.

This is my question to everybody who said eating basically does nothing for you as far as energy before a workout. How come i feel sluggish if i dont eat within 1-2 hours before a lift.

depending on when you lift... if you lift in the am or mind afternoon is due to the low cal intake since you only had 1-2 meals.. i lift in the pm usually after 4-5 meals and never feel slugish..

No, i lift in the am and feel absolutely great off of 2 meals.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member

You should be eating every 2 hours or so anyway.

No, i lift in the am and feel absolutely great off of 2 meals.

do you do am cardio?

i only do cardio on off days. when i do do cardio, i am in the gym 10-15 min after my alarm goes off on an empty stomache

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    You should be eating every 2 hours or so anyway.

If i am wakin up at 9 and lifting at say 12:30, that is 2 meals that i can stomache. As it is, i really dont have much of an appetite in the morning, so if have to do alot of forcefeeding, it sucks but i "just do it" like the niki commercials

Thread Information