Thread: Feeling blah..

ann
    ann is offline Female Member

Feeling blah..

Sometimes while watching my diet, I feel like my blood sugar runs low ; feel weak and sweaty. Usually I would eat a cookie and feel better. But since I am really trying to eat clean, what would be a good, quick pick me up ?

Naturally Anabolic is offline Associate Member
    fruit!

ann
    Got ya....just had a apple smeared with nat pb.... thanks.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Stay away from bananas, Fruit is good but it still contains sugar.
    Everything in moderation, Try a complex carb such as pasta ect. That might help out a little.
    Tobey

Lariat is offline New Member
    sounds like you might want to get checked for diabetese

ann
    Originally posted by Tobey
    Stay away from bananas, Fruit is good but it still contains sugar.
    Everything in moderation, Try a complex carb such as pasta ect. That might help out a little.
    Tobey
    I know about the sugar....thats why I didnt want to eat that apple, but at the time , was desperate. It was either the apple or raw cookie dough I will aim for complex carb next time....

primodonna is offline Female Member
    complex carbs may not be what you want in that situation though...may not get to you quick enough to feel any difference...in my experience, that is

i feel like that way too often and most of the time have gotten used to that head spinning feeling...eat a few pieces of gum
    What happens here, stays here

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Re: Feeling blah..

Originally posted by ann
    Sometimes while watching my diet, I feel like my blood sugar runs low ; feel weak and sweaty. Usually I would eat a cookie and feel better. But since I am really trying to eat clean, what would be a good, quick pick me up ?
    Screw it . . . Eat dirty. But seriously, Ann . . .

Listen to your body. It's saying, "Okay, forget the Haagen Dazs and Hershey bars, but give me some kind of sugar."

What you are describing is, indeed, classical hypoglycemia - low blood glucose. The question is obviously whether you are getting enough nutrition, period. You didn't specify how you are dieting, but the indication is that you are not getting enough carbs (complex or simple).

As for the symptoms: Head for any drug store and pick up a couple packs of glucose tablets. Avoid the B-D brand (price ise they're a rip-off, and they're in soft packaging which tends to get crushed in pockets, purses, gym bags, and book bags) - go with the kind that comes in a hard plastic case and costs about $1.50 or thereabouts. You can find tham at Wal-Mart (pharmacy dept.) as most other drug stores.

Glucose tablets are designed specifically for diabetics who go into hypoglycemia. They are flavored (usually orange or grape) and chewable, and each one has about 4 gm. of quick-acting sugar, supposedly more effective than orange juice when you've gone hypo. Eating two-to-four of them should do the trick, but eat them as you feel the symptoms coming on - don't wait until you feel zonked.

If you work out, remember that exercise burns calories. Therefore, make sure you're not crash-dieting to the extent that you're not taking in enough calories to burn off. Not only will crash-dieting leave you without enough energy, you'll only end up putting the pounds back on (and then some) when you stop dieting. Balanced dieting is the key.

Finally, I concur with Lariat - it wouldn't hurt to get yourself checked for diabetes. I feel we can rule it out because diabetics do not go hypoglycemic when they're not treated, they go hyperglycemic. (Diabetics go hypoglycemic as they adjust to a new medication regimen - for example, if they take in too much insulin or take too much of an oral med for diabetes). Nonetheless, you are obviously dealing with a glucose "issue," and it wouldn't hurt to establish a baseline to see where you're at, especially if you have any family history of diabetes. It would also give you a chance to review your current dieting strategy with a doctor who might be able to give you some valuable fedback.

Now get your skinny butt to Burker King and have a milk shake. (Better yet, head to Wendy's and get a Frosty. ) And then go back on your diet carefully.

ann
    Thanks for all the info..... maybe a peppermint would do Primo??

I'm a sugar junkie ; sweets is my deal.

I'm planning on competing, hence the reason to stay away from the sugar loaded food. I am definetly not crash dieting.....eating like a horse, but "clean" stuff Yesterday was a low carb day, so I probably need to go back and up the complex carbs in my day, to keep me going on a evener keel.

I'm not diabetic; at least not last time I had it chked. Appreciate all the info. though .

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    I mix a small tin of pineapple with a can of tuna prior to working out. It gives me a little boost and helps take away the blandness of the tuna Besides Annie...you're already sweet enough

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    Which fruits are really abd in terms of sugar? I know that grapes are awful, it's basically all suger right? What about dates? I love eating dates and drinking milk together, tastes real good. Are they okay?

solid90062 is offline Member
    Unless you are diabetic the apple is a good idea. The Apple has tons of fiber so it will slow its release in to the blood stream. You wont have the insulin spike that you get from Apple juice.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Terniox,
    I know bananas are a real no.no. They may be loaded with potasium but they also pack alot of sugar as well.

Ann,
    What about this. Try eating a few marshmellows. Check the nutritional value first, but if memory severs me right, marshmellows are not fatting at all.
    I like TNT's suggestion, I'm gonna try looking for those glucose tablets as well. Good luck.
    Tobey

lil_josh is offline Junior Member
    focus on carbs that have a low gi, that is my experience anyways.

Thread Information