OSTIE is offline Senior Member

Quick AM cardio question...

During school, I would drink my shake w/ flax before bed and get roughly 6-7hrs of sleep before id wake up to do cardio.....

Now that its summer time, sometimes my sleeping gets carried away on my non work days and I sleep for 10+ hrs before id wake up for cardio and im hungary beyond all belief.... Is it still bad for me to try to be doin cardio since my last meal was so long ago???

Would it be better for me to pound a protein shake in the middle of the night when I wake up to take a squeege???

Thanks,

-ost

brian11 is offline Member
    Try just drinking some water before cardio, but if that doesnt work then a shake wouldnt kill you. I mean if you are too hungry to do cardio then you need to eat something. At least a shake will just be mostly protein with few carbs and fat before you run.

-B-

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Do NOT eat before cardio, no.

Middle of the nght protein shake I'd say is fine, but not before cardio. I think you know that already though. (No running either!)

~SC~

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Having a shake prior to cardio is very detimental to the empty stomach fat burning effect. If you sleep for a long time, and MUST have something to eat, then get the shake in atleast 3 hours before hittin the mill. Wake your ass up for 5 minutes, throw down a shake and an EFA and go back to sleep for a little bit.

<<LMO>>

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

Middle of the nght protein shake I'd say is fine, but not before cardio. I think you know that already though. (No running either!)

~SC~

**** I got beat by the old guy I am losing my touch

Swole you must teach me...... Teach ME!!! (coffee really f*cked with my head this morning lol)

<<LMO>>

Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    **** I got beat by the old guy I am losing my touch

Swole you must teach me...... Teach ME!!! (coffee really f*cked with my head this morning lol)

<<LMO>>
    Old guy? 32 is old???

~SC~

Old guy? 32 is old???

~SC~

When you a little under 20...... 32 looks old

J/P swole..... you won't be old until you are 33

<<LMO>>

OH, id NEVER eat right before cardio.... I was just thinkin of a protein shake like 4hrs before id plan to wake up.

I can also stand the hungar pains just fine, even after all that sleep, but I just wanted to make sure that after sleepin that long, would i still be burning pure fat keeping in mind proper cardio rules

pspcs83 is offline Junior Member

~SC~

is running OK if you are still in the 65-70% HR zone?

Why would you wish to damage your knees/lower back any more than you have to when you can easily walk and get into that range?

I don't know of anyone who can run and stay in that range, unless they are skinny marathon runners to begin with, in which case fat loss would be of no issue.

~SC~

so you walk for your cardio swole?

-B-

Personally, I walk on a treadmill. Inclined @ a fast walk. If your gonna wake up super early and do 45min of boring cardio, id rather do it inside with some A/C watchin alittle boobtube to pass the time.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTIE
    Personally, I walk on a treadmill. Inclined @ a fast walk. If your gonna wake up super early and do 45min of boring cardio, id rather do it inside with some A/C watchin alittle boobtube to pass the time.

no doubt.. although I usually jog a mile or two then walk.

Why would you wish to damage your knees/lower back any more than you have to when you can easily walk and get into that range?

I don't know of anyone who can run and stay in that range, unless they are skinny marathon runners to begin with, in which case fat loss would be of no issue.

~SC~

Yea i used to run a LOT. Actually did a marathon last year. But, because i never really had my diet in line, i never really got the six pack. Great wheels to show for it though. I run at like 4.5-5.0 mph. It keeps my heart rate between 65-70 most of the time. I stop and walk until it drops if i cant get it back down my slowing up.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pspcs83
    Yea i used to run a LOT. Actually did a marathon last year. But, because i never really had my diet in line, i never really got the six pack. Great wheels to show for it though. I run at like 4.5-5.0 mph. It keeps my heart rate between 65-70 most of the time. I stop and walk until it drops if i cant get it back down my slowing up.
    I'm doing my first marathon this year, in Dublin, Ireland.

Quote Originally Posted by slizzut
    I'm doing my first marathon this year, in Dublin, Ireland.
    wow, good luck! Sounds like a lot better scenery than mine, which was in Philly.

Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    so you walk for your cardio swole?

-B-
    No, used to but since my double knee surgery I've been using Eliptical Trainers and recumbent bikes.

All it takes is one major injury to the knees to realize how harsh many activities we do daily are, and how they are not needed for the results desired.

~SC~

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    No, used to but since my double knee surgery I've been using Eliptical Trainers and recumbent bikes.

All it takes is one major injury to the knees to realize how harsh many activities we do daily are, and how they are not needed for the results desired.

~SC~
    is that why i didnt see regular squats in your routine?

D
    C
    B

~SC~
    I hear you, Ive had knee and shoulder surgery. Plus a messed up SI joint in my lower back. I've had my share of broken bones too. I know all too well about injuries.

-B-

Thread Information