ziggyj is offline Junior Member

Burning Muscle: two questions.

doesn't lifting heavy, i.e., tearing muscle, make you BURN even more muscle when you're on a cutting diet?

is it good to do lifting with high reps on a cutting diet, to avoid atrophy ("use it or lose it?")

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    It won't hurt you either way as long as you stay in the target heart rate during cardio and take in plenty of protein. By doing heavy sets in the negatives you are lifting for size and strength as opposed to light sets and high reps you are lifting for shape. Thats the basis I go by..
    Last edited by slizzut; 07-11-2004 at 04:09 PM.

what about long lasting food deprivation? does that tend to prefer using muscle than fat? should I be eating a "normal" diet (whatever that is), and depending on the HIT training to burn fat?

And I know people say you need lots of protein, but I don't see a need in going over 100grams daily. You just **** out the excess amiino acids anyway. But here's a more relevant question: how long are the amino acids provided by the protein you ate going to be available for your body to use?

Also,
    anyone know anything about amphetamine use? I'm ADHD and get prescribed adderall. Of course I don't take it when I want to bulk, but does anyone know what kind of effects it has on muscle vs. fat consumption? Sometimes it seems I can "feel" muscle burning. It's a warm feeling that will come in that particular bodypart.

Beernutz is offline Member
    Shaping and cutting go hand in hand. HIgh reps dont shape muscles. Diet is what shapes muscles. Everyone should be training both fast-twitch and slow-twitch fibres. Any good workout program should focus on both high reps and low reps this way you are attacking both muscle fibres. I do this by having several weeks of heavy lifting and switching to a few weeks of high reps and lower weights but intensity is always high wether its light or heavy.

right, right.. good advise on the fast-twitch/slow-twitch high-reps/low-reps technique. But my real concern is finding out what the best method of cutting is that burns fat but not so much muscle. Or what exactly I'm doing wrong to burn so much muscle.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    in bold. . .

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyj
    what about long lasting food deprivation? does that tend to prefer using muscle than fat? should I be eating a "normal" diet (whatever that is), and depending on the HIT training to burn fat?
    why on earth would you want to food deprive yourself. u need to eat to grow muscle. also HIIT is not very good for fat burning. do cardio for 45-60 5-7 days a week keeping you HR between 65-75%

And I know people say you need lots of protein, but I don't see a need in going over 100grams daily. You just **** out the excess amiino acids anyway. But here's a more relevant question: how long are the amino acids provided by the protein you ate going to be available for your body to use?
    if you lift and want to grow you need more protein then that. the reason for this is b/c you tear so much muscle when you lift and you need constant supplies of protein to repair them. amino acids are the building blocks of proteins and those are needed to repair also. you do need an amino acid supp however, b/c there is enough in your whey.

Also,
    anyone know anything about amphetamine use? I'm ADHD and get prescribed adderall. Of course I don't take it when I want to bulk, but does anyone know what kind of effects it has on muscle vs. fat consumption? Sometimes it seems I can "feel" muscle burning. It's a warm feeling that will come in that particular bodypart.
    call up your doc. he will tell you everything

D
    C
    B

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    also to add upon dcb's suggestions.. reason why food deprivation is a horrible thing to do is beacuse, since your body doesnt go into starvation mode and like a camel in the desert starts saving vital ingredients for the long run. thus converting it to fat. when you provide your body with constant fuel the metabolism raises.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    CAPS.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyj
    doesn't lifting heavy, i.e., tearing muscle, make you BURN even more muscle when you're on a cutting diet?

NO.

is it good to do lifting with high reps on a cutting diet, to avoid atrophy ("use it or lose it?")

NO.

I'm bushed.

~SC~

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    CAPS.

I'm bushed.

~SC~

you work too hard, SC

Thread Information