Aggression is offline Member

My first post (Need critique on diet)

What's up bros! I have been reading the posts on this forum for about a month now and I finally decided to become a registered user. I am impressed with the knowlege of the members here.

Here's my stats I'm 24 6' 215 with a little gut on me. I have been back lifting for about a month now after taking a 3 year layoff. I'm just lifting now, no cardio untill I get my muscles strong again. My goal is to put on some muscle while losing my gut. My diet is this:

Breakfast 5 am

Bowl of oatmeal with splenda and cinnamon in it
    Protein shake
    cup of green tea

Protein bar at 8:30 am

Lunch 11:30 am
    Turkey sandwich on wheat bread with fat free cheese and fat free mayo

1:30 snack
    196 g of albacore tuna with fat free mayo

Dinner 3:30 (pre workout) from Boston Market
    1/2 rotisserie chicken (I don't eat the skin) with gravy OR rotisserie turkey with gravy,

creamed spinach and green beans

Evening Meal 6 pm (post workout)
    Protein shake

M-Sat 1 chicken breast with marinade
    baked potato with butter salt and pepper

Sun Steak with sweet potato with butter salt and pepper

Bedtime meal 8:30 pm
    3 hardboiled eggs
    protein shake
    cup of sleepytime tea with valerian in it

I will also be drinking 5 liters of water a day (no soda, iced tea, etc)

I calculated it out to 350 g of protein and 210 g of carbs.

I just started this diet 3 days ago.

What do you fellas think?
    Last edited by Aggression; 07-18-2004 at 11:30 PM.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Before I or anyone else critiques that..

When do you workout? Do you do AM cardio 6-7 days a week 45-60 mins a day? What supps are you taking?

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    IN CAPS...

Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    What's up bros! I have been reading the posts on this forum for about a month now and I finally decided to become a registered user. I am impressed with the knowlege of the members here.

Here's my stats I'm 24 6' 220 with a little gut on me. I have been back lifting for about a month now after taking a 3 year layoff. I'm just lifting now, no cardio untill I get my muscles strong again. My goal is to put on some muscle while losing my gut. My diet is this:

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU'RE WAITING TO DO CARDIO. CARDIO IS HOW YOU'RE GOING TO LOSE YOUR BODYFAT.

Breakfast 5 am

Bowl of oatmeal with splenda and cinnamon in it
    Protein shake
    cup of green tea

FINE. IF YOU'RE GOING TO DO CARDIO (AS I STRONGLY SUGGEST) DO IT PRIOR TO YOUR FIRST MEAL AND CHANGE YOUR FORST MEAL TO A PRO/FAT MEAL INSTEAD OF PRO/CARB.

Protein bar at 8:30 am

BARS SUCK ASS. TRY A WHEY SHAKE AND SOME FLAX.

Lunch 11:30 am
    Turkey sandwich on wheat bread with fat free cheese and fat free mayo

STAY AWAY FROM BREAD WHEN YOU'RE CUTTING. FAT FREE MAYO HAS A LOT OF SUGAR

1:30 snack
    1 family size packet of albacore tuna with fat free mayo

SWITCH THE FAT FREE MAYO FOR FULL FAT MAYO.

Dinner 3:30 (pre workout) from Boston Market
    1/2 rotisserie chicken (I don't eat the skin) with gravy OR rotisserie turkey with gravy,

creamed spinach and green beans

THE GRAVY HAS A LOT OF CARBS AND THE SPINACH HAS A LOT OF FAT. HOLD THE GRAVY.

Evening Meal 6 pm (post workout)
    M-Sat 1 chicken breast with marinade
    baked potato with butter salt and pepper

Sun Steak with sweet potato with butter salt and pepper

Bedtime meal 8:30 pm
    3 hardboiled eggs
    protein shake
    cup of sleepytime tea with valerian in it

I will also be drinking 4 liters of water a day (no soda, iced tea, etc)

I calculated it out to 325 g of protein and 210 g of carbs.

I just started this diet 3 days ago.

What do you fellas think?

OVERALL, YOU HAVE TOO MANY CARBS AND NOT ENOUGH FATS. FATS ARE YOUR FRIEND. EATING FAT HELPS YOU LOSE BODYFAT.

I plan on taking creatine, glutamine, BCAA's. Vit C caps, glucosamine, and a multi vitamin.

I am lifting 4 days a week (mon,tues,thurs,fri)

I am not doing cardio now because after squat days now I can't walk for 4 days let alone go running. So I plan to start walking/running when my legs are not as sore. I figure that to be about 4-6 weeks when my legs are alot stronger.

I plan on taking creatine, glutamine, BCAA's. Vit C caps, glucosamine, and a multi vitamin.

I am lifting 4 days a week (mon,tues,thurs,fri)

I am not doing cardio now because after squat days now I can't walk for 4 days let alone go running. So I plan to start walking/running when my legs are not as sore. I figure that to be about 4-6 weeks when my legs are alot stronger.
    Do you use a wheelchair for thos days after you squat?

Look, bro, I'm just trying to get some advice on how to get back into the groove here. I know I don't know everything about nutrition and training that's why I'm here. I willing to learn if you're willing to help.

My legs are very weak now. If I were to go running now I'd pull something and I'd be too sore to run anyway. I'm trying to ease back into everyting.

Also, why do you say bars suck? Instead of a bar should I just have another protein shake? That will make 3 shakes a day!

You also say no bread, what if I were to have just the turkey and cheese with NO bread would that be oK?

Lighten up dude. You don't want to do cardio, I could care less. I'm just offering my advice.

Protein bars have transfatty acids and other hidden fats - pure $hit. If you don't want to have another shake, then eat some real food.

Definitely get rid of the bread. Try turkey and a handful of nuts or some flax oil or some mayo.

OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    My legs are very weak now. If I were to go running now I'd pull something and I'd be too sore to run anyway. I'm trying to ease back into everyting.
    There is no need to ever run. Hit up a treadmill, bike, ellipse machine... Just keep in mind that for optimal fat burning you should be doing cardio first thing in the AM 65%-70% for 45min-1hr. If you used to run, this should seem like a breeze. If you need to work up to it, then just start with 30min, increasing daily or weekly.

Also, there are alot better choices for fat than cheese. Sometimes when im pressed for time to make things, Ill throw some turkey in a bag with some almonds. Its just as easy.

Good luck,

-ost

I will be doing cardio eventually. My plan is once I start I will be running the treadmill 3 days a week eventually building up to 5 days a week. Once I get comfortable with that I will add sprints twice a week.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    why would you run/sprint? are you into track/football?

JT2k is offline Associate Member
    guys lighten up on the dude. you need to read the cutting sticky aka FAQ at the top of the diet forum page. Build a diet in that format. I also have issues with legs but trust me 65% percent of your target HR isnt anything even with soreness due to squats. I have multiple un healing stress fractures and i can still pull through. Just go read that FAQ build a diet from there and come back and post it. The knowledge of these bros is impicable. They will get u squared away in no time. Remember the Search button is your friend just search for "Cutting diet" in this forum and see what pervious users have done to set up there diets and most of them are already critiqued so learn from that.

jt.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I will be doing cardio eventually. My plan is once I start I will be running the treadmill 3 days a week eventually building up to 5 days a week. Once I get comfortable with that I will add sprints twice a week.

Very bad idea for your goals, very bad.

Start the cardio now, quit saying "I plan to do this" yada yada.

Legs too sore to do cardio for FOUR DAYS AFTER LEGS? Then you are training LEGS INCORRECTLY, and you are not eating enough nor stretching properly. I can tell you when you begin to "RUN FORREST RUN", your legs are going to hurt more, and your size will go "bye bye". If you care, good, if not, fine.

~SC~

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JT2k
    guys lighten up on the dude.
    jt.
    What? No one is being harsh on him, we are employing sound directional advice and he keeps making excuses and waiting for what he wants to hear.

You either take the advice, or you don't, but you don't sit here and banter back n forth w/those who are taking the time to help you out FREELY.

~SC~

Alright.

SC couldn't be more right.

We should have a sign on the door of the Diet Forum that says "Ask a question and it will be ansered - HONESTLY."

It's funny how many newbies think we're rude just because we don't give them the answer that they are hoping to hear. If your diet is $hit, we'll tell you it's $hit. Why would you want us to tell you otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    We should have a sign on the door of the Diet Forum that says "Ask a question and it will be ansered - HONESTLY."

It's funny how many newbies think we're rude just because we don't give them the answer that they are hoping to hear. If your diet is $hit, we'll tell you it's $hit. Why would you want us to tell you otherwise?

Sometimes the truth hurts and they don't wanna hear it.

brian11 is offline Member
    Haha, i thought it was funny when i was a newbie and got ragged on because my first post was about dbol and i thought i could just take it for a few weeks and didntknow anything else about it. I got ragged on pretty hard but it was funny to me and i learned a lot because of it. So thank you to all the homogay smartasses

-B-

So swole you're saying I should start the cardio now but don't do running as my cardio?

So swole you're saying I should start the cardio now but don't do running as my cardio?

Quote Originally Posted by OSTIE
    There is no need to ever run. Hit up a treadmill, bike, ellipse machine... Just keep in mind that for optimal fat burning you should be doing cardio first thing in the AM 65%-70% for 45min-1hr. If you used to run, this should seem like a breeze. If you need to work up to it, then just start with 30min, increasing daily or weekly.
    Also, there are alot better choices for fat than cheese. Sometimes when im pressed for time to make things, Ill throw some turkey in a bag with some almonds. Its just as easy.

Good luck,

-ost

i guess the newbies dont listen to anyone beside swole.. ::sight::

Thats the last time im feeling bad for a newbie, i guess some people just dont listen.

yes he is saying start now and dont run, but walk briskly. THR 65%-75% for 45mins. If you want to lose the gut why would you think that anything other than cardio and diet will accomplish that?

-B-

Elliot, the thing is I plan on running on a TREADMILL, not on a track or outside. My gym doesn't have an eliptical or a stepper or bike.

read my post above this one.. concentrate on the bolded part.. reread it a few times..

do 65 -75% of your THR on the treadmill dude. in the morning on an empty stomach. u need to get ur diet in check too. so go get some coffee and start reading. Search button is your friend.

So I will walk on the treadmill 5 days a week at 4 mph for 30 minutes. I will gradually increase my minutes building up to 45 minutes a session

sounds good. remember you dont get into the fat burning zone until after about 20 mins. also make sure its in the AM on an empty stomach. you will here this advice over and over on the boards!

-B-

I'm thinking of adding another protein shake. I will add it at my evening meal which is my post workout meal.

I have 2 questions though....

1) Is drinking 3 shakes a day too many?

2) I have only been on this diet 4 days now. Prior to this, my nutrition and diet was crap. Is this sudden increase in daily protein gonna destroy my kidneys. I know this may seem like a stupid question but I'm new to this and I'm tryin' to learn.

I'm thinking of adding another protein shake. I will add it at my evening meal which is my post workout meal.

I have 2 questions though....

1) Is drinking 3 shakes a day too many?

2) I have only been on this diet 4 days now. Prior to this, my nutrition and diet was crap. Is this sudden increase in daily protein gonna destroy my kidneys. I know this may seem like a stupid question but I'm new to this and I'm tryin' to learn.
    No and No. Shakes are an easy way to get protein especially since most lifestyles are always on the go.

-B-

hotstreet is offline New Member
    So I will walk on the treadmill 5 days a week at 4 mph for 30 minutes. I will gradually increase my minutes building up to 45 minutes a session

I don't think that you need to work your way up to it. Remember that you are not running, but more of a brisk walk. When I started training, I was 258 lbs and I'm 5' 11" and I did it 7 days a week for 45 mins.

Also, am I eating too much tuna? I plan on eating 196 g with fat free mayo during my after noon snack.

Sensational1 is offline New Member
    You could even eat it with a mayonaise that has fat in it as your EFA, but make sure it has no carbs. You can use it as a pro/fat meal. I have seen other people recommend this as well.

Thanks. Hopefully this diet along with my training produces results.

Mass Quest is offline Associate Member
    Also, am I eating too much tuna? I plan on eating 196 g with fat free mayo during my after noon snack.
    use regular mayo low fat has lots of sugar in it

I checked the label. I use Kraft Non fat mayo. It says it only has 1 g of sugar and 2 g of carbs. That isn't alot of sugar.

Also, I made some edited changes to my diet. How's it look?

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    How many times have people said to use real mayo instead of nonfat? Nonfat mayo has sugars in it you dont want, hands down. Plus mayo tastes like absolute $hit. Just open your can of tuna, grab a fork and gorge it in 3 or 4 bites.

I told you the fat free mayo I use has 1 g of sugar in it.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    I told you the fat free mayo I use has 1 g of sugar in it.
    ok children listen and listend good ****it!!! USE FULL FAT MAYO IN YOUR TUNA, YOU CAN USE IT AS YOUR FAT SOURCE IN YOUR TUNA. IT HAS EFA'a SIMILAR TO OLIVE OIL!!!!

dcb

Thread Information