4:1 Carb/Pro ratio? Insulin resistance???

2:1 Carb/Pro ratio is generally the rule of thumb for PWO and is what I follow. Read numerous post on PWO nutrition but still, after doing some research on the web, couple of articles have me wondering about Carb/Pro ratio and if 4:1 is better than 2:1. The other question I had was on the effects of simple carbs and insulin resistance--Obviously high intake of carbs causes the pancreas to produce large amounts of insulin, and if this happens for many years in a genetically predisposed person, the insulin receptors throughout the body become resistant to insulin. But resistance from PWO in the average persons seems extreme dont you think? I hate to start another thread on PWO nutrition but sooth my mind and let me know what you guys think until I can gather some more thorough research.

"More recent research has shown that combining protein with carbohydrate in the two-hours after exercise, nearly doubles the insulin response, which results in more stored glycogen. The optimal carbohydrate to protein ratio for this effect is four grams of carbohydrate for every one gram of protein. Eating more protein than that, however, has a negative impact because it slows rehydration and glycogen replenishment.

The study found that athletes who refueled with carbohydrate and protein had 100 percent greater muscle glycogen stores than those who only had carbohydrate. Insulin was also highest in those who consumed the carbohydrate and protein drink."
    From,
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/n...a/aa081403.htm

"There are 2.2 pounds per kilogram. Using a 220-pound man as an example, he weighs 100 kilograms. (Divide pounds by 2.2 to find the corresponding kilograms. In this example, 220 pounds conveniently divided by 2.2 = 100 kilograms.) He needs 150 carbohydrate grams and 50 grams of protein directly following his workout. You might lean a little more heavily towards complex carbohydrates in your post exercise meal. But don't neglect simple carbs, either; they more quickly stimulate the production of insulin, which helps drives digested protein into the repairing muscles.

But beware of too many simple carbs: new studies indicate you can create an insulin resistance through repeated habitually repeated spikes. Complex carbohydrates decrease the downward "slope" and tapering of spikes created by simple sugars."

From,
    http://www.maxsportsmag.com/healthnu...ue19/19hn1.htm

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    4:1 ratio seems incredibly high to me. Like everything in nutrition, you need to uderstand the underlying principles and then apply them in a bit of a trial and error fashion to see how you respond. We are not all the same and thus our bodies will not respond the same way. 2:1 is good for some. 4:1 may be needed for others. Personally, I use slightly less that 2:1 and have been getting great results.

As far as insulin resistance from PWO, I wouldn't worry. Resistance generally occurs during a constant consumption of carbs (generally high GI) for a sustained period of time which results in a constant (or very frequent) secretion of insulin. If your diet generally consists of mainly protein, good fats, and low GI carbs, then the spike during PWO is of no worry as far as resistance is concerned.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    That also makes reference to "1" pwo meal, not two. So, I employ 2 pwo meals myself, both w/a 2 to 1 ratio, so it ends up being 4 to 2 after all is said/done.

Ain't failed me in my body/biz yet.

~SC~

Sounds good bros. My mind is soothed. Thanks.

Thread Information