SaTyR is offline Member

The truth about PWO carbs ...

This is from an article I found writen by Bryan Haycock. I hope this opens up peoples eyes .
    You can read the article in a previous thread I posted.

PWO CARBS !!!

There has been some controversy about which type of carbohydrate is best for post exercise glycogen replenishment. Some argue that simple sugars such as dextrose are best after exercise. Others say that drinks with glucose polymers are best. Still others say that there is no need to buy fancy sports drinks and that simply eating a meal high in carbohydrates such as pasta or rice is sufficient. Studies have shown no difference between different types of carbohydrates eaten post exercise and the rate of glycogen replenishment as long as sufficient quantities of carbohydrate are consumed (Burke 1997). Even when the post exercise meal contains other macronutrients such as proteins and fats, the rate of glycogen replenishment is not hindered, given there is sufficient carbohydrate in the meal as well. These studies tell us that the rate-limiting step in glycogen replenishment after exercise is not in digestion or the glycemic index of a given source of carbohydrate. Over a 24-hour period it is the total amount of carbohydrate consumed that is important.

cool, Swole what do you think?

so its saying just have enough carbs throughout the day...

Farmer is offline Member
    There is always going to be different views in the nutrition world. Nothing is really set in stone, we've had our "No fat" diets, "no carb" diets..blah blah. Honestly, try it out for yourself and see if it works for you. PWO carb replenishment makes sense if your body actually needs it. If you are not wokring out that intense then you probably will not need the PWO carbs. As long as you are getting enough carbs during the day you should maintain positive nitrogen levels and spare lean mass. Swole, chime in.

Peace

Farmer

I have also read in [U]The Protein Power Plan that we as humans dont need carbs. Just a little info. what do you think the cavemen did plant corn? but i think we as BB do need carbs, i couldnt really give a reason for that but thats my story and im stickin to it.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    the cavemen also died b4 they were 20

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SaTyR
    This is from an article I found writen by Bryan Haycock. I hope this opens up peoples eyes .
    You can read the article in a previous thread I posted.

PWO CARBS !!!

There has been some controversy about which type of carbohydrate is best for post exercise glycogen replenishment. Some argue that simple sugars such as dextrose are best after exercise. Others say that drinks with glucose polymers are best. Still others say that there is no need to buy fancy sports drinks and that simply eating a meal high in carbohydrates such as pasta or rice is sufficient. Studies have shown no difference between different types of carbohydrates eaten post exercise and the rate of glycogen replenishment as long as sufficient quantities of carbohydrate are consumed (Burke 1997). Even when the post exercise meal contains other macronutrients such as proteins and fats, the rate of glycogen replenishment is not hindered, given there is sufficient carbohydrate in the meal as well. These studies tell us that the rate-limiting step in glycogen replenishment after exercise is not in digestion or the glycemic index of a given source of carbohydrate. Over a 24-hour period it is the total amount of carbohydrate consumed that is important.

Well, why don't we all read EXACTLY what the study says. It says "Studies have shown no difference between different types of carbohydrates eaten post exercise and the rate of glycogen replenishment as long as sufficient quantities of carbohydrate are consumed"

So, would you rather consume a couple of high GI carb meals right after your workout and be done with it or would you prefer to eat 10 pounds of yams (or whatever "sufficient quantities" means) over the next 24 hours.

If you prefer option B, I ask you what your body will be doing while mine is consuming protein and quality fats for the rest of the day.

By the way, I can't find this study, so if anyone can point me to it, I'd be most appreciative.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'm not even going to bother, as there are about 100000 articles for BOTH sides of the pwo "argument." We can copy/paste them here all day, but in the end it doesn't make a sh*t bit of difference. Reason being:

I employ methods that lead me to have a sterling success rate with myself and my clientele, so I'm very content with my methods. Nothing is going to change my beliefs, as I've seen first-hand for numerous years straight what indeed works for my purposes intended.

I.E., I know how I look when I employ my techniques, and I know how those I assist come out looking, so to change anything would be extremely foolish. It's simply not something to worry about.

~SC~

LaRoche is offline Junior Member
    From day 1 when I joined this board, just searching around, I realized that there were a handful of members - SwoleCat being the primary one for me - that made a sh*tload of sense. I took notes. I made changes. I've made tremendous gains. Just saying thanks.

AandF6969 is offline Made Up Of Wires
    Quote Originally Posted by dalcowbag
    the cavemen also died b4 they were 20

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by LaRoche
    From day 1 when I joined this board, just searching around, I realized that there were a handful of members - SwoleCat being the primary one for me - that made a sh*tload of sense. I took notes. I made changes. I've made tremendous gains. Just saying thanks.
    I'm happy you were able to find help here and employ it to make yourself even better!

~SC~

Thread Information