Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Spoon's Avatar
    Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    3,710

    does everyone have the potential to be ripped?

    ive heard that genetics does play a big role but does everyone really have the potenial to be ripped? or are some people destined to look flabby no matter how good their diet and workout routines are?

  2. #2
    ChefJ's Avatar
    ChefJ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    1,666
    there is always plastic surgery and lipo

  3. #3
    Spoon's Avatar
    Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    3,710
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJ
    there is always plastic surgery and lipo
    i meant naturally. no way will i ever go under the knife.

  4. #4
    ChefJ's Avatar
    ChefJ is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Gym
    Posts
    1,666
    I think with proper nutrition and exercise everyone can get down into the 5-6 bf % range. Some people though will not be able to lose all of the love handles and that is the only time, I feel, that you should go under the knife.

  5. #5
    Spoon's Avatar
    Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    3,710
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJ
    I think with proper nutrition and exercise everyone can get down into the 5-6 bf % range. Some people though will not be able to lose all of the love handles and that is the only time, I feel, that you should go under the knife.
    yes, coz my upper body is slowly getting ripped but my lower half i have love handles. i can almost see my upper abs then it sort of just fades to flab the lower it gets. its very encouraging and discouraging to know.

  6. #6
    Elliot's Avatar
    Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    4,353
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefJ
    I think with proper nutrition and exercise everyone can get down into the 5-6 bf % range. Some people though will not be able to lose all of the love handles and that is the only time, I feel, that you should go under the knife.


    5-6?! thats extreamly low bf.. for an avg in the gym weightlifter i would say 10% for someone whoes serious and wise about lifting and nutrition 7-8... anything beyond that is amazing to me..

  7. #7
    RockyX's Avatar
    RockyX is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    1,117
    IMO. I think everyone can achieve a level of "rippedness". Some may have to go to more extremes for a longer period of time and may have to spare more muscle, but I think at some point, if done strictly and seriously, anybody can do it.....assuming there was nothing medically wrong such as thyroid problems or what not.

  8. #8
    Spoon's Avatar
    Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    South of Heaven
    Posts
    3,710
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyX
    IMO. I think everyone can achieve a level of "rippedness". Some may have to go to more extremes for a longer period of time and may have to spare more muscle, but I think at some point, if done strictly and seriously, anybody can do it.....assuming there was nothing medically wrong such as thyroid problems or what not.

    thats what i wanted to hear! thanks

  9. #9
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoon
    i can almost see my upper abs then it sort of just fades to flab the lower it gets.
    This means your work is only 1/2 done.

    ~SC~

  10. #10
    Beernutz's Avatar
    Beernutz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    829
    There isnt any limits on how ripped you can get. The only limit is all in your mind. The reason why some pple are avid believers you can only get so ripped is because they cannot conquer there own minds. Sure some pple can get to 8%bf no problem but thats not to say that another overweight person cannot achieve the same thing it would just be much more taxing on both the mind and physical aspects. Anyone who doubts there genetics needs to deff focus on strenthening there mindset. I know this is easier said then done as i to struggle with genetic limitations but that doesnt stop me from pushing on.

  11. #11
    OSTIE's Avatar
    OSTIE is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Mil-town
    Posts
    1,189
    Personally I think everyone can get ripped. Genetics only play the part of how fast this happens and for how long it stays. For instance, lets say someone who has really crappy genetics finally gets down to 11%. It may be has hard to hold on to as someone with fast genetics holding 6-7% bf. I know how hard it is though watchin others progress so much faster and how easy it is to blame genetics, IMO, you just gotta tell yourself that no matter how bad your genetics are, it cant stop you from reaching your goals no matter what.

  12. #12
    Beernutz's Avatar
    Beernutz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    829
    Quote Originally Posted by OSTIE
    Personally I think everyone can get ripped. Genetics only play the part of how fast this happens and for how long it stays. For instance, lets say someone who has really crappy genetics finally gets down to 11%. It may be has hard to hold on to as someone with fast genetics holding 6-7% bf. I know how hard it is though watchin others progress so much faster and how easy it is to blame genetics, IMO, you just gotta tell yourself that no matter how bad your genetics are, it cant stop you from reaching your goals no matter what.
    Exactly

  13. #13
    ColdSore's Avatar
    ColdSore is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,952
    heres something to think about:

    not everyone will have the genetic ability to "be" ripped, but everyone can have the drive and will to "get" ripped...

    I think the genetics play in the determining factor of HOW you get ripped...

    Just my philosophy

  14. #14
    slizzut's Avatar
    slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdStone
    heres something to think about:

    not everyone will have the genetic ability to "be" ripped, but everyone can have the drive and will to "get" ripped...

    I think the genetics play in the determining factor of HOW you get ripped...

    Just my philosophy

    I agree completely, very well said and it couldn't be more true

  15. #15
    usualsuspect's Avatar
    usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,936
    Not to sound like a wise crack or anything but it really depends on how ripped your talking about. Sure, anyone can get down to 3-4% bodyfat but not everyone will have cuts and striations at the level of say a professional bodybuilder. Muscle plays a major role in achieving a ripped look, and no more how low bf some people get they may never looked ripped. Some guy with poor genetics may get down to 3-4%, but he may never look ripped, just skinny. Ripped is too arbitrary. That's just my opinion. Regardless, it was an interesting question.

  16. #16
    ColdSore's Avatar
    ColdSore is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,952
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Not to sound like a wise crack or anything but it really depends on how ripped your talking about. Sure, anyone can get down to 3-4% bodyfat but not everyone will have cuts and striations at the level of say a professional bodybuilder. Muscle plays a major role in achieving a ripped look, and no more how low bf some people get they may never looked ripped. Some guy with poor genetics may get down to 3-4%, but he may never look ripped, just skinny. Ripped is too arbitrary. That's just my opinion. Regardless, it was an interesting question.
    my old roomate comes to mind...probably an easy 5-6% but was 5'10'' 135 or so...lol...and your right...i wouldnt say ripped by any means,..had muscle tone, but not ripped and shreded like you think about when a big guy gets cut up or sliced and diced

  17. #17
    slizzut's Avatar
    slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,881
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdStone
    my old roomate comes to mind...probably an easy 5-6% but was 5'10'' 135 or so...lol...and your right...i wouldnt say ripped by any means,..had muscle tone, but not ripped and shreded like you think about when a big guy gets cut up or sliced and diced

    Yeah theres a big difference between someone being skinny with a low bodyfat and someone being jacked with a low bodyfat

  18. #18
    eggplant's Avatar
    eggplant is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    with metal plates...
    Posts
    646
    sure..i believe everybody can get ripped..but the level and standard of how rip you can be will of course defer based on individual genetics..but i believe if you have enough muscles underneath those fats or water..by the time you get rid of all those unwanted punds and drop those water..you will see a great deal of difference..

  19. #19
    RoNNy THe BuLL's Avatar
    RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    2,968
    Yes.

    If a bonerack tried to get ripped, it wouldn't have the same effect as a fat guy. Reason being is muscle mass. If you have the muscle underneath the fat, everyone has the ability to get ripped. Muscle striations, rippedness and definition are all correlated to bodyfat percentages.

    Vascularity on the otherhand is genetic.

  20. #20
    pvgirl08's Avatar
    pvgirl08 is offline Female Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    120
    I think it is a lot discipline and hard work but also genetics. Muscle fiber type determines your growth potential a lot. Slow twitch doesnt grow nearly as quickly or as much as fast twitch. Anyone who wants to become ripped hopefully is majority fast twitch. And don't worry spoon, you'll figure out how to get rid of the love handles. It takes time to figure out what works best for you.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •