GQSuperman is offline Banned

benefits of different protein types

so, i know whey protein is a good supplment and is beneficial during the day and after a workout b/c it's broken down and utilized rapidly. casein is good before going to sleep b/c its broken down more slowly and can therefore be used by the body throughout the night.

my question is, is there any benefit in including egg protein in one's diet?

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    you mean from eggwhites or egg extract? i get a lot of my protein from eggwhites.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Eggs are good, yes.

~SC~

brian11 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Eggs are good, yes.

~SC~
    I know most people just eat the egg whites, but is it ok to eat like lets say 3 whole eggs in the AM for a pro/fat meal?

-B-

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by brian11
    I know most people just eat the egg whites, but is it ok to eat like lets say 3 whole eggs in the AM for a pro/fat meal?

-B-
    Most certainly, as long as you include healthy fats like flax/udos/omega 3,6,9/etc. at other meals, you've nothing to worry about as it all balances out.

~SC~

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Most certainly, as long as you include healthy fats like flax/udos/omega 3,6,9/etc. at other meals, you've nothing to worry about as it all balances out.

~SC~
    Udo's is the shiot!

~SC~
    Good to hear, I love eggs but never really felt like dealing with separating the egg whites..no need waste Plus im tired of eating almonds all d*mn day long.

-B-

Good to hear, I love eggs but never really felt like dealing with separating the egg whites..no need waste Plus im tired of eating almonds all d*mn day long.

-B-
    I buy egg-beaters... is this ok SC??

rephrase

i guess what i meant was is there a benefit of egg white protein (powder or from teh real thing) over whey or casein? i don't really like the taste of eggs (i can stomach egg beaters if i add meat and salsa) and know that you can buy egg protein powder. should this protein source be a staple in my diet, or is whey protein and protein from meats suffiecient?

Cry0smate is offline Member
    Have you tried just separating the whites out??? Egg Beaters isn't 100% pure and it is HORRIBLE.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    I think egg beaters taste like my ass

Quote Originally Posted by GQSuperman
    i guess what i meant was is there a benefit of egg white protein (powder or from teh real thing) over whey or casein? i don't really like the taste of eggs (i can stomach egg beaters if i add meat and salsa) and know that you can buy egg protein powder. should this protein source be a staple in my diet, or is whey protein and protein from meats suffiecient?
    You dont need the eggs as a "staple". I havent been eating them up to this point but i may start eating them for my pro/fat in the AM after cardio. Alot of people eat the egg whites bc it is quality protein. But there are plenty of ways to get good protein, so dont worry if you dont like eggs.

-B-

XL721 is offline Junior Member
    "Egg Beaters is made from real eggs, but only the best part — the whites"
    Taken from their website.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atwacity
    Have you tried just separating the whites out??? Egg Beaters isn't 100% pure and it is HORRIBLE.
    all the beaters i get are either 99% or 100% real eggs. so i am not sure what you are talking about.

DCB

off topic responses, but i found

this. i guess i answered my own question.

Whey Protein – Whey is tremendous for post-workouts because that's when your body needs protein the most, and whey digests quickly (30 minutes or so).

Egg Proteins – Egg (albumen) digests at a medium pace (1.5 - 3 hours) so you can use egg products anytime to supply a sustained release of amino acids to your body.

Soy – Soy is the vegetarian's best friend because it is derived from plants and is a protein source. Soy is not as effective in terms of absorption as whey or egg protein. However, soy has many recognized health benefits for women as well.

Casein Products – Casein is digested very slowly (2 - 7 hours) so it would be a good idea to use casein before bed because that is usually the greatest time your body goes without getting protein.

Quote Originally Posted by dalcowbag
    all the beaters i get are either 99% or 100% real eggs. so i am not sure what you are talking about.

DCB
    Same here... huh?

clancywiggum is offline Junior Member
    egg protein is the absolute best protein, hands down....highly digestible, low in cals (whites), and an "amino bath"
    now the smell and preparation aren't pleasant, and you can certainly reach your protein requirements w/o eggs....
    it's just an undeniable staple in a weightlifter/athlete's diet, and has been for soooooo long...

TRIBOL is offline Associate Member

~SC~

do you have to mix it up for all your fat meals or can you have udo's, flax, or olive oils for all fat meals? right now i been using oilve oil for most of my fats. with the exception of yolks in the morning.

TrIBOL

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBOL
    do you have to mix it up for all your fat meals or can you have udo's, flax, or olive oils for all fat meals? right now i been using oilve oil for most of my fats. with the exception of yolks in the morning.

TrIBOL
    I'm pretty sure you can use the same thing throughout the day, but it tends to get old after awhile as i can testify to bc i eat almonds for my fat for 4 meals a day. But im going to start eating whole eggs in the AM and im going to buy some flax and yogurt at the store today bc I am tired of having a shake and almonds all the time.

-B-

TRIBOL is offline Associate Member
    I'm pretty sure you can use the same thing throughout the day, but it tends to get old after awhile as i can testify to bc i eat almonds for my fat for 4 meals a day. But im going to start eating whole eggs in the AM and im going to buy some flax and yogurt at the store today bc I am tired of having a shake and almonds all the time.

-B-
    i feel you on the almonds thing, i use to have the shake with almonds as my fat source 2-3 meals last month but that got old real quick,lol.. those fukcers keeps getting stuck in between my teeth and at the roof of my mouth.

TrIBOL

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBOL
    i feel you on the almonds thing, i use to have the shake with almonds as my fat source 2-3 meals last month but that got old real quick,lol.. those fukcers keeps getting stuck in between my teeth and at the roof of my mouth.

TrIBOL
    Im going to start a "I Hate Almonds Club"..........****, who am i kidding, im going to keep eating them bc its cheap and easy. For those looking for fat here it is....

Flax seed or oil (I going to go with oil so i can put it in my shake)
    Nuts (plain, almonds are probably the best option here)
    Fish (espeically salmon)
    Olive Oil (you can put it over a salad, hey i didnt say it would taste good)

-B-

P.S. This can all be found in the cutting sticky but most people dont read those until they are directed there

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    dont forget natty PB
    Top round steak
    Fish
    full fat mayo

DCB

InsaneInTheMembrane is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GQSuperman
    this. i guess i answered my own question.

Whey Protein – Whey is tremendous for post-workouts because that's when your body needs protein the most, and whey digests quickly (30 minutes or so).

Egg Proteins – Egg (albumen) digests at a medium pace (1.5 - 3 hours) so you can use egg products anytime to supply a sustained release of amino acids to your body.

Soy – Soy is the vegetarian's best friend because it is derived from plants and is a protein source. Soy is not as effective in terms of absorption as whey or egg protein. However, soy has many recognized health benefits for women as well.

Casein Products – Casein is digested very slowly (2 - 7 hours) so it would be a good idea to use casein before bed because that is usually the greatest time your body goes without getting protein.
    Howzabout protein from meats (chicken, fish, beef,etc..)..where do they stand? Prolly longer than casein i should think...

Thread Information