Thread: protein dilema

Casanova33 is offline Associate Member

protein dilema

here is the problem. i am an athlete at a college that is sponsored by met-rx. we get free protein shakes after workouts. but the shakes have 80g of carbs and 40g of protein and have 800 calories a shake. my normal shake when not at school is optimum nutrition's shake (i use 2 scoops with milk) and it has 60g protein and around 6 carbs and only around 300 calories. should i take the free protein shakes or just use the stuff i buy. im 6'4 285 so i don't need to gain weight (which the metrx stuff is for) just some leaner mass. any advice or opinions is appreciated.

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    i never heard of some one saying no to free protein...i would personally just drink the crap

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    drink it bro. There is nothing wrong with the 80g of carbs post workout. That is actually what you want (I'm sure the carbs are from dextrose pre-mixed into the shake). Also, are you adding the calories from the milk and such into your values for your optimum nutrition shakes? Anyways, to make a long story short. Free is free. It will be fine.

JT2k is offline Associate Member
    I think you have just answered yourself in your post bro. Dont drink it if you dont need the extra kcals. Are you on a diet that is outlined by the school for you too be on to compete as a part of a weight training program? If not tell them you want strictly whey only (then add your dextrose yourself) so you know u have your pwo in check. If it doesnt fit into your dietary needs dont drink it.
    Last edited by JT2k; 07-19-2004 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Spelling

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    if those carbs are from dextrose then down that sh!t. alot better then milk and whey (u deff dont want fats in PWO shake)

Quote Originally Posted by JT2k
    I think you have just answered yourself in your post bro. Dont drink it if you dont need the extra kcals. Are you on a diet that is outlined by the school for you too be on to compete as a part of a weight training program? If not tell them you want strictly whey only (then add your dextrose yourself) so you know u have your pwo in check. If it doesnt fit into your dietary needs dont drink it.
    my program hasn't given me a diet. i just want to stay lean. last semester when i was drinking the met-rx stuff i gained a little fat and wasn't as lean. i only drink that stuff once a day anyhow, i think im just going to keep drinking at least 2 more shakes of my own stuff morning and in the evening and only drink the met-rx stuff after my workouts. i just wanted to know what other lifters had to say.

homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member
    You play football? You NEED those extra calories ESPECIALLY post workout.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    80+40 = 120 * 4 = 480 cals..

how did you get 800 cals?

and how did anyone else not notice that..?

he said it was weight gainer which i think has fat in it too dude. thats why i said get your own whey and dex.
    Last edited by JT2k; 07-19-2004 at 03:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casanova33
    here is the problem. i am an athlete at a college that is sponsored by met-rx. we get free protein shakes after workouts. but the shakes have 80g of carbs and 40g of protein and have 800 calories a shake. my normal shake when not at school is optimum nutrition's shake (i use 2 scoops with milk) and it has 60g protein and around 6 carbs and only around 300 calories. should i take the free protein shakes or just use the stuff i buy. im 6'4 285 so i don't need to gain weight (which the metrx stuff is for) just some leaner mass. any advice or opinions is appreciated.

please do point out where it says that its a weight gainer?

here is the problem. i am an athlete at a college that is sponsored by met-rx. we get free protein shakes after workouts. but the shakes have 80g of carbs and 40g of protein and have 800 calories a shake. my normal shake when not at school is optimum nutrition's shake (i use 2 scoops with milk) and it has 60g protein and around 6 carbs and only around 300 calories. should i take the free protein shakes or just use the stuff i buy. im 6'4 285 so i don't need to gain weight (which the met-rx stuff is for) just some leaner mass. any advice or opinions is appreciated.

the part he qoutes i dont need to gain weight (which the met-rx stuff is for)

the part he qoutes i dont need to gain weight (which the met-rx stuff is for)

that doesnt mean its a weight gainer.. weight gainers are for 6'1 11 year old basketball players who are "hard gainers" the reason why hes having the shake is to gain weight as in muscle mass...

I doesnt mean its not either. So where are the other 320 cals ? If the 800 cal comment was true. Anyways im just giving my opnion your HOMOGAY.

mr_crisp is offline New Member
    hit up the met-rx post workout. the carbs restore your insulin levels, key in reviving your body from the stress you just put on it. alot better than milk and protein. and especially if your working out in the morning then your golden

I doesnt mean its not either. So where are the other 320 cals ? If the 800 cal comment was true. Anyways im just giving my opnion your HOMOGAY.

dude.. did i insult you? I don't mind when people call me that cause they're my friends.. however i still don't know who you are..?!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliot
    dude.. did i insult you? I don't mind when people call me that cause they're my friends.. however i still don't know who you are..?!

~SC~

(80x4)+(40x4) thats almost 500 calories right there plus the fat that is in the shake and i just gave a rough estimate of the carbs and protein it might be more. i don't play football (i used too) i throw shot and hammer for the track team. i will keep on drinking the shakes after workouts thanks for the advice. but i will only take it once a day and take my other optimum nutrition shake the other 2 times since it has half the calories of the met-rx. i didn't mean to start a fight over this.

Elliot im not trying to fight with you dude, sorry i thought everyone called u that. My mistake.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    Elliot im not trying to fight with you dude, sorry i thought everyone called u that. My mistake.
    You can only say HOMOGAY if it comes from the bottom of your britches. You guys should copyright that word...its the ****bomb.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyX
    You can only say HOMOGAY if it comes from the bottom of your britches. You guys should copyright that word...its the ****bomb.
    patent pending on "homogay" and "homoqueer" in the works guys, dont you worry!

dcb

(80x4)+(40x4) thats almost 500 calories right there plus the fat that is in the shake and i just gave a rough estimate of the carbs and protein it might be more. i don't play football (i used too) i throw shot and hammer for the track team. i will keep on drinking the shakes after workouts thanks for the advice. but i will only take it once a day and take my other optimum nutrition shake the other 2 times since it has half the calories of the met-rx. i didn't mean to start a fight over this.
    where is the fat coming from? also how do you get your numbers for carbs/pro?

i read the back of the package a couple of months ago and i remember it saying it had 800 cal and 80g carb and 40g pro and some fat. carbs and protein have 4 calories a gram and fat has 8 calories a gram. does that awnser any of your question.

i read the back of the package a couple of months ago and i remember it saying it had 800 cal and 80g carb and 40g pro and some fat. carbs and protein have 4 calories a gram and fat has 8 calories a gram. does that awnser any of your question.

well then it has 35.5 grams of fat, being that fat is 9cals.. highly illogical way for a suplement company to market thier pwo drink, knowing that fat slows digestion.. if that is the case i would never drink it..

im going to look at it again next time i work out there and get the correct info on the shake.

Thread Information