xenithon is offline Member

Question Want to start incorporating pasta - What to choose?

Hi All,

I am on a low-moderate carb diet. Very briefly, it involves getting in around 150g carbs a day (training days, 4x a week), around 50g non-training days (2x a week) and one high carb day a week or around 300g carbs. These are all focused at breaksfast and around training.

My main sources are very limited - oats, kasha (buckwheat), basmati rice, sometimes lentils/beans (but not a lot as they do not go well with my system ) I would like to incorporate some pasta as I really miss it and believe it can be a great source of good carbs, just needs to be watched in terms of quantity due to its caloric density.

I really only have 3 choices of pasta here and was wondering which is the best. My main concern is its GI value. Some sources rate various pastas at around 30-40 (which is fanstastic) yet some have it at around 80-90! The first choice is white pasta (various shapes/styles) made of Durum Wheat Semolina. The second is wholewheat pasta, which is simply Durum Wheat Semolina with added bran. Thirdly is a special 'low-GI' pasta you get here - you can check it out here: http://www.fineform.co.za/fineform.htm and go down to 'Low GI Tagliatelle and Lasagne'. Any one better than the other?

Finally just a quick question about carb content. According to sites like Nutritiondata and Calorieking, wholewheat pasta is meant to have around 75% carbs, like normal white pasta. But the packaging here says its around 65% carbs only. That makes quite a difference when you are watching carbs so wanted to know why there is a discrepancey.

Thanks for any help,
    X

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    I've tried several low carb pastas and they all suck ass.

Websites offer estimates only. For accurate assessments, go by the label.

low carb pasta is the sickest thing on earth. My advise is to not even try it.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Low carb pasta isn't even worth it bro... save it for a cheat day.

jesus guys, where at any point does it say lo-carb pasta in my thread? nor on any of those pages. I am talking about PASTA - just questioning the preferred one out of those mentioned.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    D - none of the above.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    D - none of the above.

LOL nice....

And as for the topic. Pasta has gluten in it unless you can find gluten free somewhere online or at a health food store. Gluten makes you bloat. If you don't mind it go for it.

<<LMO>>

Hi All,

In terms of carb sources, I really need to get some variation. Oats, kasha, brown/wild rice is great but a change is always appreciated

I have tried things like beans, legumes, lentils etc. but they seem to kill my system. I really do not want to bloat as you guys warn of, do you suggest keeping away from anything with gluten? Doesn't oats have gluten (I have plently of those with no bloat).

I can get what they call here 'wholewheat pasta - gluten free' can be one of 2 types: one made from rye flour, the other made from veges (eg. butternut pasta or spinach pasta). Neither taste good at all and seem a bit dodgy I have though seen something which looks promising - buckwheat pasta (made by a company called Orgran). You can check it out here It seems pretty decent as it is made from buckwheat, and is egg, wheat, gluten free. The only thing I would need to find out is its GI. Anyone know perhaps? I know kasha (buckwheat groats) which I also use a lot has a fairly low GI, lower than oats. This pasta though is buckwheat flour with 10% rice flour. Anything to worry about?

Thanks for the help,
    X

thanks
    Last edited by xenithon; 07-22-2004 at 01:38 PM.

Thread Information