Hugh-Hefner's-Son is offline Associate Member

Morning Cadio Diet

What would be more benificial for losing body fat + keeping muscle: a lite Pre-WO snack (creatine / almonds or protein shake / banana ) or an empty stomach

Many fitness experts are saying that above average "fit" men will not benift as much or have an intense workout on an emty tank.
    Last edited by Hugh-Hefner's-Son; 08-01-2004 at 08:43 PM.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    the "fitness experst" are fat old scientist. . .empty tank bro is the best way to do things

hmm that avatar is taken but w.e

DCB

The TooL is offline Junior Member
    everytime i feel famished b4 am cardio i just take some caffine or ephedrine or both. u can also try drinking lots of water.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh-Hefner's-Son
    What would be more benificial for losing body fat + keeping muscle: a lite Pre-WO snack (creatine / almonds or protein shake / banana ) or an empty stomach

Many fitness experts are saying that above average "fit" men will not benift as much or have an intense workout on an emty tank.
    What fitness "experts"?

BTW, that idea is totally assinine, but I was just curious as to who these so-called experts were.

~SC~

The TooL is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    What fitness "experts"?

BTW, that idea is totally assinine, but I was just curious as to who these so-called experts were.

~SC~
    they are prolly small and fat lol

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    i've actually done both and found that i have lost plenty of fat doing both methods.....though i always make sure that i wait at least 2.5 hours before doing the cardio if i do eat before. When waking up at 4:30am to get to work I really cant do the AM cardio every day. I do it 3 times a week however when i dont have to be in with a client early.

I will post the summary of the article I was refering to, it comes from AST Sports Science physiologist Paul Cribb :

Many people that want to shed body fat will perform their exercise first thing in the morning without some form of breakfast. They do this with the misguided belief they are tapping into fat stores and forcing their body to burn fat for fuel. This information originated many years ago from outdated research performed on obese subjects. However, effective fat loss for people that are not fat is a much trickier objective. I won’t go into the numerous physiological aspects of why it is a terrible decision for healthy people to avoid nutritional support before exercise in the morning. I will tell you that you cannot dictate the type of fuel you want your body to utilize during exercise— human physiology is far too intricately balanced.

Exercising in the fasted state (in morning, on an empty stomach) induces a tremendous amount of muscle breakdown, (along with a small amount of fat loss). This is a one-way ticket to a slower metabolism and a body that quickly learns to hoard fat, not burn it. After 7 or 8 hours of sleep your metabolism has slowed down. Breakfast kick-starts your metabolic rate and creates an instant anabolic environment within the body. To lose body fat from exercise, the correct nutritional support that preserves lean body mass must be present.

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    the guy is probably referring to high intensity cardio though...not low/moderate intensity. walking is not catabolic.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Research shows a lower RER after a six hour fast. I can tell you that you can dictate your substrate utilization by manipulating intenisty and duration. Thats why we have different metablic energy systems. ATP-PC, Glycolysis (Fast and Slow) and Oxidative System.

Here are two other excellent articles from Bodybuilidng.com, does anyone agree - disagree

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy7.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/teen/derek40s.htm

I changed my Avatar just for you dalcowbag...

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Here are two other excellent articles from Bodybuilidng.com, does anyone agree - disagree

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/randy7.htm
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/teen/derek40s.htm

I changed my Avatar just for you dalcowbag...
    hey man i dont care what you do, its OTSIES avatar not mine. . .the skinny **** in your old one wish's he was this big

DCB

Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    though i always make sure that i wait at least 2.5 hours before doing the cardio if i do eat before..
    Right, THAT can work, and when I utilize cardio like that, the meal prior is fat and protein, and is usually of the liquid variety. Throw down some ala too.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Right, THAT can work, and when I utilize cardio like that, the meal prior is fat and protein, and is usually of the liquid variety. Throw down some ala too.

~SC~
    ah so there ya go...i've been doing it on empty without even realizing it. good to know that i dont have to wake up at 3 am though to do cardio and have it be effective.

lew
    lew is offline Junior Member
    could you tell me the purpose of ala when there is no carbs in the meal?
    Thanks
    Lew

Quote Originally Posted by lew
    could you tell me the purpose of ala when there is no carbs in the meal?
    Thanks
    Lew
    It simply helps to clear the blood of excess glucose, thus making your cardio endeavor to come much more productive.

~SC~

Sorry......AST? They're up to something w/this by pushing supps.

All I can say is this. This article, BB.com, etc.........they are all "references" cited, but are they credible? Up to you to decide. Additionally, one could copy/paste 100's of articles in FAVOR of emtpy stomach cardio, cardio after eating, etc. What is it going to mean for you as a person? Nothing.

You simply MUST try both methods, and see how you respond to each of them. As a fitness enthusiast, one should experiment w/what works for him/her, and experimentation should be of no issue.

So, just find what works.............I know I have.

~SC~

I will post the summary of the article I was refering to, it comes from AST Sports Science physiologist Paul Cribb :

Many people that want to shed body fat will perform their exercise first thing in the morning without some form of breakfast. They do this with the misguided belief they are tapping into fat stores and forcing their body to burn fat for fuel. This information originated many years ago from outdated research performed on obese subjects. However, effective fat loss for people that are not fat is a much trickier objective. I won’t go into the numerous physiological aspects of why it is a terrible decision for healthy people to avoid nutritional support before exercise in the morning. I will tell you that you cannot dictate the type of fuel you want your body to utilize during exercise— human physiology is far too intricately balanced.

Exercising in the fasted state (in morning, on an empty stomach) induces a tremendous amount of muscle breakdown, (along with a small amount of fat loss). This is a one-way ticket to a slower metabolism and a body that quickly learns to hoard fat, not burn it. After 7 or 8 hours of sleep your metabolism has slowed down. Breakfast kick-starts your metabolic rate and creates an instant anabolic environment within the body. To lose body fat from exercise, the correct nutritional support that preserves lean body mass must be present.
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 08-03-2004 at 07:39 AM.

Thanks !

Your right Swole Cat, it's very hard to trust any media that you see on the net, especially when it comes to fitness.

AST has some good info, but all their articles always seem to link to purchasing supps.

I guess I am just searching for the best method for buring bodyfat. I am in good shape, but just can't lose that lower belly fat covering my abs...
    its been plagueing me for too long !

Your right Swole Cat, it's very hard to trust any media that you see on the net, especially when it comes to fitness.

AST has some good info, but all their articles always seem to link to purchasing supps.

I guess I am just searching for the best method for buring bodyfat. I am in good shape, but just can't lose that lower belly fat covering my abs...
    its been plagueing me for too long !

not to bring this back up from two days ago...but hey who gives....losing that belly fat is gonna be a pain bro....most men (myself included) genetically hold our fat around the midsection. Right now i am just under 8% and still have a little fat left around my midsection. Make sure you do that cardio and keep the diet spot on...also i made the mistake of not training my abs as much as i should have while dieting, so they appear flat but not ripped. Make sure you train them hard get those deep core muscles, if you need some tips on ab routines pm me or hit up www.t-mag.com (good workouts in general there).

Thread Information