xenithon is offline Member

New Diet Critique

Hi All,

Here's my new diet for maintenance/slow lean mass gain. I'm 22, 1.8m, 65kg, around 9% body fat (used to be VERY overweight, thus inherent fear of trying to gain back too quickly). Weight train 4x a week, low intensity cardio 3x a week on off days. Diet is a modified carb-cycling diet: training days ~150g carbs, 2 off days ~50g carbs (breakfast only), 3rd off day a carb-up of ~300g carbs.

Here is a typical day's diet (training - Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri):
    9am - 12 egg whites, oats (40p, 50c)
    11-12am - train
    12am - PWO shake (40p from whey, 35c from oats)
    1:15pm - PPWO chicken and brown rice (50p, 50c)
    4:30pm - turkey, fibrous vege, healthy fat (50p, 15f)
    8pm - tuna, fibrous vege, healthy fat (40p, 15f)
    12pm: slow digesting protein and flax oil (30p, 15f)
    Totals including miscellaneous carbs and fats in the food: 250p, 150c, 50f

Non-training days (Wed, Sat): same as above, but no PWO shake, and PPWO becomes another Protein/Fat/Fibrous Vege meal. Totals for non-training days: 220g protein, 50g carbs, 60g fat.

Carb-up day (Sun):
    9am, 12:30am, 4pm, 7:30pm - 35g lean protein and 75g complex carbs
    12pm: 30g slow digesting protein, 15g flax oil
    Totals: 170p, 300c, 15f

How does it look? Any advice? To give you an idea, it is around 200-300 calories more than I am currently taking in. Also what do you think of making Saturday a no-carb day (in preparation for Sunday's carb-up), thus being only protein, healthy fats, fibrous veges.

Thanks for any help and advice,
    X
    PS. This is much shorter than the previous thread so hopefully people can read through it completely and chip in If you need further details please ask.

hung-solo is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    Hi All,

Here's my new diet for maintenance/slow lean mass gain. I'm 22, 1.8m, 65kg, around 9% body fat (used to be VERY overweight, thus inherent fear of trying to gain back too quickly). Weight train 4x a week, low intensity cardio 3x a week on off days. Diet is a modified carb-cycling diet: training days ~150g carbs, 2 off days ~50g carbs (breakfast only), 3rd off day a carb-up of ~300g carbs.

Here is a typical day's diet (training - Mon, Tues, Thur, Fri):
    9am - 12 egg whites, oats (40p, 50c)
    11-12am - train
    12am - PWO shake (40p from whey, 35c from oats)
    1:15pm - PPWO chicken and brown rice (50p, 50c)
    4:30pm - turkey, fibrous vege, healthy fat (50p, 15f)
    8pm - tuna, fibrous vege, healthy fat (40p, 15f)
    12pm: slow digesting protein and flax oil (30p, 15f)
    Totals including miscellaneous carbs and fats in the food: 250p, 150c, 50f

Non-training days (Wed, Sat): same as above, but no PWO shake, and PPWO becomes another Protein/Fat/Fibrous Vege meal. Totals for non-training days: 220g protein, 50g carbs, 60g fat.

Carb-up day (Sun):
    9am, 12:30am, 4pm, 7:30pm - 35g lean protein and 75g complex carbs
    12pm: 30g slow digesting protein, 15g flax oil
    Totals: 170p, 300c, 15f

How does it look? Any advice? To give you an idea, it is around 200-300 calories more than I am currently taking in. Also what do you think of making Saturday a no-carb day (in preparation for Sunday's carb-up), thus being only protein, healthy fats, fibrous veges.

Thanks for any help and advice,
    X
    PS. This is much shorter than the previous thread so hopefully people can read through it completely and chip in If you need further details please ask.

maybe i cant read but where are the calorie totals?? jot those down too.

Training days ~2000-2100
    Non-Training days ~1600
    Carb-up day ~2000

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    what is 65kg in pounds? 2000kcals seems a little low.

Hi There,

Roughly 143lbs. That equates to around 15cal/lbs. Bear in mind that the diet takes into account my body and how well I know it. I dropped calories while leaning down to around 1750-1800 so will be adding around 300 calories in order to maintain.

Cheers,
    X

Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    Hi There,

Roughly 143lbs. That equates to around 15cal/lbs. Bear in mind that the diet takes into account my body and how well I know it. I dropped calories while leaning down to around 1750-1800 so will be adding around 300 calories in order to maintain.

Cheers,
    X
    sounds good

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    in your PWO shake you have oats as your carbs. . NOT a good idea. get your hands on some dextrose. at this point in the day you need fast acting carbs like dextrose. oats is not a good idea. besides that everything else looks good

dcb

hi there,

About the PWO shake - around 8 months ago I was doing lotsa research on the oats vs dex debate for PWO. I use to use dex with good results (even while cutting). Then I decided to try oats for a change, to see how my body reacts - each side of the debate had numerous pros and cons but I needed to test them out for myself. The oats worked very well. They did not hamper my cutting at all, and I had a lot more energy during the day. With the dex my energy levels seems to go up and down, often at random points in the day. With the oats my energy levels were suddenly stabilised and I felt a lot better.

Cheers,
    X
    PS. Do you think I should keep saturday a low-carb day, or should I keep the body guessing by making it a no-carb day, followed by sunday's carb up?
    Last edited by xenithon; 07-26-2004 at 02:29 PM.

Since you workout at noon, you maybe reacting to it differently than most people who are lifting later in the day. The dex will give you a high and therefore you might have a crash afterwards, but for most it is at night so it doesnt really matter. I dont really experience a high or a crash from taking dex but that is just me. Just like every other piece of advice you receive here, it is based on science and on experience, but everybody has a different body. There is no one right way to do anything, what matters most is what works for you. If you have tried both ways and oats works for you, then stick with it.

I agree CutMeUp. I do not want to appear to be 'ignorant' and ignoring people's advice. But about the PWO issue I have tried both ways as well as trying various amounts, timing etc. until I found what worked best so I am gonna stick to that for now.

One last question: do you think I should keep saturday as a low-carb day, or should I try change it up and keep the body guessing by having saturday a no-carb day, followed by sunday's carb-up?

Cheers,
    X

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    hey if you want to give it a try.. put honey in your pwo shake tommorow... just give it a try.. 50 grams of carbs 25 grams of protein.. make sure you work it to dilute the honey..

been there, done that

I have tried a number of concoctios for PWO - I remember reading about a gazillion threads on it and trying all sorts of things. Ended up that oats gave me best results an best overall feeling.

Thread Information