Thread: Carb Sources

xenithon is offline Member

Carb Sources

Hi All,

I wanted to ask some questions regarding good carb sources. It is for a maintenance/slow lean mass gain diet, no cutting, no bulking. This is after a heavy cutting phase so carbs are being slowly reintroduced.

I'm quite restricted here as many things are not available here that are overseas (US/EU). I generally only have oats, kasha (buckwheat) and brown/wild rice. I really would like some more options.

At first I thought about pasta. Was told to keep away due to high GI. Then I found that most pasta high is made from pure durum semolina which ranks fairly low on the GI list which would make it very good. Then I hear that I should still stay away due to gluten which causes bloating, the same reason to keep away from breads (even the multigrain varieties). What is a good carb source which is low GI, and gluten free? I cannot eat many beans/lentils/legumes due to digestion problems (my stomach doesnt cope too well with them). Also sweet-potato: I try keep away since the variety (species) here is different to those available elsewhere in the world, and when I buy it here it has varying nutritional values which are very contradictory. Two places can sell what LOOKS like the same stuff, but one is 13% carbs and the other 25% carbs - I'd rather stick to something where I know what I am getting.

How are things such as gluten-free pasta (I have seen 3 types: made from buckwheat & rice flour, made from rye flour, made from butternut/spinach). Also gluten/wheat-free breads such as rye bread - how are they? Someone told me about something called quinoa (sp?) - hard to find but I have tracked it down. Is it worth a go? There is also other (unknown to me) things like spelt, amaranth etc. What other alternatives are there worth a try?

Thanks a bunch,
    X

PS. Please try refer to actual food types, rather than brand names - most branded things AREN'T AVAILABLE here which can be bought in the US.
    Last edited by xenithon; 07-26-2004 at 06:19 AM.

B U M P

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
    X

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Where are you located?

I live in the caribbean so a lot of my carbohydrate intake is from indigenous root vegetables (called "ground provisions" here). They range from yams and sweet potatoes(yes there is a difference.. our sweet potato is what y'all'd call yams.. and our yams are like a humoungous starchier more fibrous english potato..with more flavour), breadfruit, eddoes, cassava...etc.

As for varying your carb sources... why would u want to swtich from what you are on right now? Simplicity makes a diet easier to follow IMO. My carb intake generally is focused around brown rice, potatoes, and oats.. with other things tossed in the mix when pressed for time.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    quinoa, barley, amaranth are great grain substitutes

quinoa and barley can be used inthe place of rice.. or mixed with rice

hi there,

I am in South Africa. I have gone for a long time now and sure having fewer choices makes it simpler, but to be honest I would rather enjoy my food a bit more than chug it down out of neccessity If I were a competing BB'er or athlete it would be a different story though...

I will try those others. Do you know if they are gluten-free (that's after all why I was told to keep away from wholewheat pasta's - low on the GI but lots of gluten = bloating)

Thread Information