CutMeUp is offline Associate Member

Jump start a diet?

Hey bros,
    I have my diet pretty much in check, but I have often wondered about something. Starving yourself will cause your body to retain fat. Therefore not eating is counter-productive in losing fat. However, in a short period of time, not eating will cause you to lose fat, before your body decides to hoard it. That being the case, for someone cutting, would it not be beneficial for lets say 4 or 5 days to eat extremely light, and then move into a quality cutting diet? You will undoubtedly lose some muscle in those 4 or 5 days but assuming you still lift (they wont be very good workouts, but still lifting nontheless) you might be able to minimize your muscle loss over the short period. I know that starving yourself goes against all advice you will ever receive, but just curious what you guys thought about this idea of a jump start to a cutting diet.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Nope............why chance it as you are cutting anyhow? A sensible approach is to just begin your diet, don't tinker w/trying to "nitro" the start. Your body will get the "starving" message after about 5 days, yes, then when you diet it may seem like more food, but to your body you are still on a diet. You run the chance of your body fighting back w/it's natural mechanisms after the first week or so, and that's not good right when your "real" diet is beginning.

If anything, having a cheat day to get your thyroid at 100% the day before you start your "real" approach, is a better idea. Mentally you know it's the last cheat day for another week, and you can have fun and prepare for your journey the next day.

~SC~

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    How do you plan on minimizing muscle loss while starving yourself?

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad_man
    How do you plan on minimizing muscle loss while starving yourself?
    Like i said, it wouldnt be ideal for maintaining muscle, but i was simply saying that muscle loss would hopefully be minimal since it would only be 4 or5 days.

Swole,
    Good advice. Like i said i was just kind of curious bc although it may not be the best way to go about it, it always just seemed like it might work theory you know.

Thread Information