Power76 is offline Associate Member

Diet for a powerlifter

I am trying to come up with a diet that will allow me to drop bodyfat/weight but not lose any strength. I am a 28 year old powerlifter. I am 5 foot 10 and I currently weigh around 330. I would like to drop down to a lower weight class and get out of the superheavyweights. The next lowest would be the 308 class but I would like to get to the 275 class at some point. I am strong at my current weight but I feel like crap being this heavy. I do not really follow a diet now but I do keep my protein high. So if anyone would like to chime in with some advice I would appreciate it.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    Well if no one else will answer I will hehe. I used to powerlift as well bro, and my advice to you is not to be in too much of a hurry, especially if you plan on doing meets while in the process of losing the weight. First, use the Harris-Benedict formula and figure up what your daily consumption needs are to maintain your current weight. I would maintain for a few weeks just to see how it affects your strength, then as the weeks progress, slowly drop your calories. You HAVE to do the cardio (I know its a pain), and you may want to look into an ECA.

Like I said, take it slow. I dropped 15 lbs in a week one time only to scratch out on squats because my strength had fallen so much.

Power76 is offline Associate Member
    Hey, thanks for the reply! I had actually become more interested in if I would get a reply than the diet. LOL I will keep your advice in mind as I start to plan this out. I am competing in September so after that I will start the diet. I will try to lose no more than 2 lbs. per week. Hopefully I can mantain my strength. Thanks again.

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    No problem bro

elicotton is offline Associate Member
    Bump for more responses. I'm in the same boat bro, and it better be a pretty gd big boat.

Thread Information