xenithon is offline Member

Roasted Nuts vs. Raw

Hi All,

Starting to incorporate some new things for some variety and taste in the diet, one of which is healthy nuts as a change from flax/olive/grapeseed oil.

The main ones I eat are almonds. Macadamias and walnuts cause problems with my skin so I keep away from them. Are cashews a good source of EFA's or should I stick just to almonds?

Anyways that is a separate question. My main one is if there is a difference between raw and roasted nuts. I am NOT TALKING ABOUT HONEY ROASTED or those seasoned with tons of salt and MSG and junk like that. I mean the all-natural air-roasted unsalted varieties. Mostly I will even buy them raw and roast them myself in the oven for 5-10 minutes. My main concern is the health benefits - does the roasting affect/degrade the EFA's in the nuts?

Thanks,
    X

Cry0smate is offline Member
    Honestly I don't see how roasting can hurt the nv of almonds. Just make sure that you only roast them for about 5-7 mins @ 350 and let them cool completley. Only roast a few days worth at a time also.

Personally I think that cashews are TOO fatty, but it just depends on what you are doing.

doctorcc is offline Junior Member
    The best nut (one you could even live on) is the raw almond. It is not only contains enough energy to power your body, it also has high amounts of Vit E, magnesium, calcium, and fiber. Roasting peanuts, cashews, and pecans still gives you non-sat fats and protein, but you lose much of the vit E in the roasting process. Raw nuts are rich in Omega-6 essential fatty acids. Some nuts and seeds are also rich in Omega-3 essential fatty acids making raw nuts and seeds a very wholesome food. Essential fatty acids are heat sensitive, so roasting nuts basically destroys all the goodness in them.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorcc
    The best nut (one you could even live on) is the raw almond. It is not only contains enough energy to power your body, it also has high amounts of Vit E, magnesium, calcium, and fiber. Roasting peanuts, cashews, and pecans still gives you non-sat fats and protein, but you lose much of the vit E in the roasting process. Raw nuts are rich in Omega-6 essential fatty acids. Some nuts and seeds are also rich in Omega-3 essential fatty acids making raw nuts and seeds a very wholesome food. Essential fatty acids are heat sensitive, so roasting nuts basically destroys all the goodness in them.
    I agree to the fullest. if your looking for a change in the nut department (hehehe) then toos them sh!ts in the blender and make some almond butter.

DCB

I agree to the fullest. if your looking for a change in the nut department (hehehe) then toos them sh!ts in the blender and make some almond butter.

DCB

oh well, there goes the roasting idea it makes them taste a helluva lot better but if it kills the EFAs it aint worth it. I tried making my own nut butter - any tips cause mine failed! I ended up with half of them just chopped up and the other half stuck in a layer under the blades

Cheers,
    X

Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    oh well, there goes the roasting idea it makes them taste a helluva lot better but if it kills the EFAs it aint worth it. I tried making my own nut butter - any tips cause mine failed! I ended up with half of them just chopped up and the other half stuck in a layer under the blades

Cheers,
    X
    Put a tad bit oil in? h2O? lol i don't know, sounds grose though, NUT BUTTER.

DCB

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    10 seconds until this thread degenerates beyond all recognition......

The best nut (one you could even live on) is the raw almond. It is not only contains enough energy to power your body, it also has high amounts of Vit E, magnesium, calcium, and fiber. Roasting peanuts, cashews, and pecans still gives you non-sat fats and protein, but you lose much of the vit E in the roasting process.
    Wow I did not know that it killed the Vitamin E and messed with the EFAs. Thanks for that info!!

Quote Originally Posted by )(PimP JuicE)(
    Put a tad bit oil in? h2O? lol i don't know, sounds grose though, NUT BUTTER.
    oil. I make it all the time. Do not make a ton at a time as it doesn't stay that long. Or you can go to a place like Trader Joes and spend way too much for it.
    Last edited by Atwacity; 07-31-2004 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atwacity
    Wow I did not know that it killed the Vitamin E. Thanks for that info!!

oil. I make it all the time. Do not make a ton at a time as it doesn't stay that long. Or you can go to a place like Trader Joes and spend way too much for it.
    Cool man, is it good? What do you put it on?

hell yeah it's pretty good, just gives it a different flavor. I either just eat it plain or every once in a while will spread it on a chicken breast rather than keeping them separated (yeah I know that sounds gross) but we have to do what we have to do.

by the way which oil do you use? I guess you can use cold pressed nut oils (peanut, walnut etc.) or something healthy and tasteless like grapeseed. I can't image almonds blended with a strong extra virgin olive oil

I'm not sure if it's the best way to go about it, but I've used olive oil before but the thing is, you don't need HARDLY any oil to make the butter compound at all. just enough to get it to mix. It's thick yea, but tasty. I've never tried grapeseed oil before but I know that some people have used canola.

doctorcc is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    by the way which oil do you use? I guess you can use cold pressed nut oils (peanut, walnut etc.) or something healthy and tasteless like grapeseed. I can't image almonds blended with a strong extra virgin olive oil
    I recommed the extra virgin olive oil and a little salt to taste. Also, if you're using raw almonds, try soaking them in water for a few hours before blending. By doing this, you shouldn't need much oil.

Thread Information