usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member

my protein container smells like garbage

I use the plastic tubberware drink container for my protein shakes and despite washing the thing out with soap and water after everytime I use it, the thing still has a horrible stench to it. Anyone else have this same problem? Do you guys make your shake before you leave the house say early in the morning and don't drink it sometimes until hours later?

Tryin2getHUGE is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    I use the plastic tubberware drink container for my protein shakes and despite washing the thing out with soap and water after everytime I use it, the thing still has a horrible stench to it. Anyone else have this same problem? Do you guys make your shake before you leave the house say early in the morning and don't drink it sometimes until hours later?
    Yeah bro, you definately are NOT ALONE on this one. Mine is HORRIBLE right now. What you can do is run a small amount of bleach through it and that will work for ya. Thats what I do. Also though, as soon as you are done drinking it, rinse it out right away. Lastly I heat mine with water in the microwave say for 10 mins eod to kill the bacteria.

I do this for about 2 months, then toss it. After all, the beauty lies in the fact that they are only 5 bucks.

~JM~

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Wash it and air it out..??

dirtybrit55 is offline Member
    i usually let mine get a lil rotten in the bottom and THEN remember to clean it out!

JT2k is offline Associate Member
    lol....same problem here i bleach that ba$tard.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by slizzut
    Wash it and air it out..??
    I tried that man but it still gets that runchy smell to it over time.

BDTR is offline Retired
    I left mine in my bag for two weeks. When i openened my bag one day i almost threw up from the smell.

JoeB is offline Associate Member
    Dish washer works. Buy a new one.

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Scrub it with soap. Then use bleach and hot water.

XL721 is offline Junior Member
    Never had that problem. I usually rinse it out after im done.

bad_man is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdtr
    I left mine in my bag for two weeks. When i openened my bag one day i almost threw up from the smell.
    I got that beat. Left it in my desk drawer at work for a month. I thought we'd have to evacuate the building when I opened it.

eggplant is offline Member
    you are not alone my man! i wouldn't even want to take a second look at mine..not even smell it..

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    AandF6969 and I were in a locker room at school junior year, he had a protien shake in a large cup w/ lid and stuck it in a small locker. We found it again at the end of senior year and about passed out. Then put it back in the locker. My shaker bottles usually stank horrible, unless I wash them after every use.

Hugh-Hefner's-Son is offline Associate Member
    The second you are done drinking the shake, pour extremely hot water into the bottle to rinse it out, pour it out and then fill it with hot water and let it sit for a while. Store it in the fridge. Works the best for me, but you defonitely need to get a new one every once and a while .

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryin2getHUGE
    Yeah bro, you definately are NOT ALONE on this one. Mine is HORRIBLE right now. What you can do is run a small amount of bleach through it and that will work for ya. Thats what I do. Also though, as soon as you are done drinking it, rinse it out right away. Lastly I heat mine with water in the microwave say for 10 mins eod to kill the bacteria.

I do this for about 2 months, then toss it. After all, the beauty lies in the fact that they are only 5 bucks.

~JM~
    This is soo important... people must remember to disinfect the bottle... there is so much bacteria it is disgusting...

Also, plastic is in fact pourous, so like T2GH said, replace it every once in a while... 5 bux well spent IMO...

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    Ajax makes a dish soap that keeps mine smelling fine...... I let it soak for 20 minutes then air dry it. I have had the same shaler for almost 8 monthes now and its still good, then again there only 3 bucks........

Ketogenic is offline Banned
    i have this problem 2 but now i am cleaning it with citric acid powder its very good to get rid of the smell give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    This is soo important... people must remember to disinfect the bottle... there is so much bacteria it is disgusting...

Also, plastic is in fact pourous, so like T2GH said, replace it every once in a while... 5 bux well spent IMO...
    My attitidue is that bacteria are good for you, it keeps your body on its toes and, like training, it will get tougher anbd stronger! Now before you say anything I do shower everyday , i just think a little ingested bacteria is good from time to time

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Here is what I have started to do... Rubbermaid sells some sports bottles as part of their Take-Along product line (semi disposable) that are cheap. I think I paid $2.69 for a three pack last time. I have about a dozen of these things and I put my protein in them in advance, then when its time to go I just bring it with me and add water later or add water right away and bring along... they are so cheap it doesn't matter if they start to smell bad just throw it away. Much cheaper doing this way then buying regular sports bottles and shakers.... Oh, not to mention they do hold water in very well too so if you do add water right away you could throw it in your gym bag or whatever and it won't leak.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

CutMeUp is offline Associate Member
    try storing it in the freezer, doesnt do anything for the smell but it makes the shake real nice and cold...

im frooostyyyy! (like im spicy..)

Duma is offline Associate Member
    wash out the protein plaque on your shaker, add strong anti-bacterial dish soap, fill it up w/ water, and let it soak until your ready for another shake with that cup

Philliagorillia is offline Associate Member
    Yep, same here man, i've just gotten use to the stench....

stench is good

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    i use them about 20x then buy a new one, they smell like ass

Mass Quest is offline Associate Member
    baby sterilising fluid cleans them out a treat.

SaTyR is offline Member
    When i leave myn for 2hours in my room , the milk turns in a freaking rock.

SaTyR is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtybrit55
    My attitidue is that bacteria are good for you, it keeps your body on its toes and, like training, it will get tougher anbd stronger! Now before you say anything I do shower everyday , i just think a little ingested bacteria is good from time to time
    I wonder why youre still alive...

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    ingested bacteria good from time to time????

Thread Information