xenithon is offline Member

Diet While Taking 2 Weeks Off

Hi All,

I am taking 2 weeks off - listening to my body (and the doc) about a shoulder injury. During this time I won't be gyming (weights) and will only do cardio. Due to work and studies I can manage to go only every second day, so I will be doing cardio every 2nd day and most likely alternate between 40 minutes low intensity and 20-25 minutes HIIT.

My question is about the diet though. Normally, on off days (where I usually do not train weights but do cardio) my meals are almost all protein/fat (50g protein, 15g fat, fibrous veg) except breakfast where I have some oats (45g carbs). Totals for the day are around 220g protein, 60g fat, 50g effective carbs. For these two weeks, should I keep the oats at breakfast on totally off days, even though I won't be doing cardio? Should I remove them and have just a protein/fat day? My logic is that I should remove some caloric intake on these days to balance the fact that I won't be doing cardio to keep intake vs expenditure at maintenance level.

Thanks,
    X

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    move your one pro/carb meal to the afternoone

DCB

Hi there DCB,

If I may ask, what is the reasoning behind that? At the end of the day then the caloric intake will be the same. I thought if that is the case, taking it in at breakfast is the best (earlier the better to give energy for the rest of the day). Also should it be the same amount of carbs in that meal (around 45g)?

Cheers,
    X

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If you are not doing weight training, but are going to have carbs that day, have them a.m.

Just my $.02.

~SC~

Hey SC,

That was my thinking. I was thinking along the lines of AM carbs for the cardio days and having a P/F meal without carbs in the AM on totally off days. It is of course only temporary for these 2 weeks but don't want to dent my progress thus far.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Cool.........to continue as much lipolysis as you can after the morning cardio, have the oats/whatever about 30 mins after the cardio session ceases.

Usually you'd want to have oats on the days there is NO cardio and have them a.m., and the days you have cardio you'd eat fat/pro after, however if you wait 30-40 mins to eat after cardio, the oats/low gi carb ingestion will not work against you. You don't continue to burn fat for fuel the entire day as many think, unless you are in KETOSIS!

~SC~

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Cool.........to continue as much lipolysis as you can after the morning cardio, have the oats/whatever about 30 mins after the cardio session ceases.

Usually you'd want to have oats on the days there is NO cardio and have them a.m., and the days you have cardio you'd eat fat/pro after, however if you wait 30-40 mins to eat after cardio, the oats/low gi carb ingestion will not work against you. You don't continue to burn fat for fuel the entire day as many think, unless you are in KETOSIS!

~SC~
    if he wants to take in oatmeal first thing in the morn then couldnt he still see good results if he did cardio late in the day (2-3 hours after a meal) so he would be using those carbs?

DCB

SC and DCB - I unfortunately cannot do cardio first thing in the AM, due to work and studies. I do them later in the day, and there is at least 2.5 hours between the previous meal and when I go do cardio. Afterwards (ends up around 30-40 minutes after cardio) I have a P/F meal.

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    SC and DCB - I unfortunately cannot do cardio first thing in the AM, due to work and studies. I do them later in the day, and there is at least 2.5 hours between the previous meal and when I go do cardio. Afterwards (ends up around 30-40 minutes after cardio) I have a P/F meal.

That is fine..... but make sure you do what SC said and on days you don't train eat the oats in the am, not the afternoon. And you don't have to wait 30-40 minutes if your eating a pro/fat meal after, 15-20 minutes is fine.

<<LMO>>

Thread Information