Thread: Tuna

Arniefan is offline Associate Member

Tuna

Is having to much tuna bad for you? I have 4 cans a day

oespejel is offline Junior Member
    every day?
    thats way to much man, try going 2 cans every other day

doctorcc is offline Junior Member
    Too much tuna can really cause some health issues! Tuna contains high amounts of mercury which can pose many physical problems- including: loss of hair, memory difficulties (which are new findings for fish), and neurological issues later in life. Use tuna in moderation, and for minimal amounts of time... I know this sounds like a prescription disclaimer, but it's true. One can a day should be the limit. Try salmon as a better alternative.
    Last edited by doctorcc; 08-06-2004 at 03:40 PM. Reason: typo

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    You'd have to eat so many cans of tuna to get mercury poisoning, it would be almost impossible. Tons of people I assist, kids in college, live in the dorms and live off tuna.......I mean live, like all solid meals d*mn near. It's a staple of most college students.

The only downside to 4 cans a day is smelling like p*ssy and having every cat in the neighborhood want to mate w/you.

~SC~

TRIBOL is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat

The only downside to 4 cans a day is smelling like p*ssy and having every cat in the neighborhood want to mate w/you.

~SC~

LOL.... i can relate to this. i eat tuna, meal 2,3,4, and sometimes before bed all with full fat mayo.

TrIBOL

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    yea bro the mercury levels aren't high enough for bioaccumulation to do shlt!

the only risk levels, BASED ON FACTUAL EVIDENCE, NOT TUNA RUMORS, are nor more than 12-14oz tuna per week for a PREGNANT WOMAN

i've heard too many different versions of the tuna myth
    :

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    Tuna is King!

MJ

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I down 3-4 cans a day and safe to say its a major part of my protein intake. Time will tell what it will do to my body.

but i suspect the juice and other supps will take its toll way before the mercury

maby Im not going bald cause of roids, maby its all the tuna

You'd have to eat so many cans of tuna to get mercury poisoning, it would be almost impossible. ~SC~

Not necessarily speaking of "poisoning," just mercury in excess. 3 or 4 cans per day IS too much. I could send you peer review articles on the findings, if you're interested.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Mercury issues aside, just make sure you drink enough water so the added sodium doesnt keep you too bloated. I used to live off tuna while in college and it was fine....also if eating salmon as was suggested above take into consideration the Carcinogens found in farm raised salmon....everything has it's ups and downs and needs some moderation.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorcc
    Not necessarily speaking of "poisoning," just mercury in excess. 3 or 4 cans per day IS too much. I could send you peer review articles on the findings, if you're interested.
    No thanks, not needed as it won't influence my thinking one way or another. I've been over this a plethora of times w/clients and doctors, so I know it's all good. I don't wish to get into "it IS too much" "no it's not", etc.

Eat as much as you feel safe eating, I'll do that, everyone will do that, and we'll all do what we feel is "safe". I could also paste studies here that say eating 10 cans a day is fine, but what's the point? People will do what they are going to do anyhow. So, again, the best plan of attack here is "To each his/her own".

That's the "safest" protocol of all.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 08-07-2004 at 07:02 AM.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    No thanks, not needed as it won't influence my thinking one way or another. I've been over this a plethora of times w/clients and doctors, so I know it's all good. I don't wish to get into "it IS too much" "no it's not", etc.

Eat as much as you feel safe eating, I'll do that, everyone will do that, and we'll all do what we feel is "safe". I could also paste studies here that say eating 10 cans a day is fine, but what's the point? People will do what they are going to do anyhow. So, again, the best plan of attack here is "To each his/her own".

That's the "safest" protocol of all.

~SC~
    more people need to think like that. saves the arguement! people will do what they want, when they want, no matter what studies say IMO

Quote Originally Posted by angelxterminator
    more people need to think like that. saves the arguement! people will do what they want, when they want, no matter what studies say IMO
    Yup! I give my personal outlook (and I am always content w/my choices as they are based on facts/truth/actual experience/other's experiences in a working relationship) on a subject, or suggest how I'd approach it, then I leave it to be executed by those who bring the perverbial question to the table in the first place.

Saves lots of headaches! I can't train w/a headache!

~SC~

Yup! I give my personal outlook (and I am always content w/my choices as they are based on facts/truth/actual experience/other's experiences in a working relationship) on a subject, or suggest how I'd approach it, then I leave it to be executed by those who bring the perverbial question to the table in the first place. SC~
    Good point SC. I wasn't undermining your opinion you should know. As a pre-med major (I minor in kinesiology) I thrive on factual evidence, and love to share it. However, you are right about giving knowledge. Ultimately the decision to listen and weight out options is up to the person asking.

cokdiesl is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorcc

i can find 2 articles stating the opposite for every article you find...

Thread Information