Thread: quick veggies

devil1 is offline Jacked Jarhead

quick veggies

I just started my diet a few days ago. I take tuna to work with me for meals 2 and 4. The only problem im having is eating enough veggies. I need some ideas on some quick and easy vegetables i can take with me to work. Any other critiques on my diet are welcome also. This is my first serious diet. Thanks for all the help. 6.2 230 about 18-20% bf age 21

Meal 1
    6 eggs (2 whole)
    1/2 cup brown rice

Meal 2
    can of tuna

Meal 3
    turkey breast
    brown rice

Meal 4
    can of tuna

Meal 5
    Lean beef or chicken breast
    canned vegetable
    1/2 cup noodles

workout

Meal 6
    protien shake
    salad before bead snack

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    wow you really need to read the cutting sticky, your diet has flaws all over the place. you dont have any fat sources really at all, way too many carb meals, and mix what little fat you get with your carbs.

read the sticky then re post based on what you learned! what you posted would be a (carb up)cheat day on my cutting diet

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Yup......

~SC~

So is that to much carbs or am i just putting them in at the wrong times? Im confused now, is it really that off? Ill pick up some flax tomorrow. should i take it with meal 2 and my pwo or should i set up a whole new plan? bare with me guys, your help is much appreciated. Thanks

xenithon is offline Member
    *cough*stickies*cough*

On my way out so here's just a quick ripping apart (comments in bold). Give us further details on your exact goals and perhaps it can be tweaked further:

Meal 1
    6 eggs (2 whole)
    1/2 cup brown rice
    Make it 8-10 eggwhites, no yolks. Try separate fats from carbs. Also I would have oats in the morning (I simply can't imagine eating rice when I wake up! )

Meal 2
    can of tuna
    Add a healthy source of fat here. Flax oil, olive oil (tastes great mixed with tuna), handful of nuts etc.

Meal 3
    turkey breast
    brown rice
    Get rid of rice, make it healthy fats again

Meal 4
    can of tuna
    Add a healthy fat source here

Meal 5
    Lean beef or chicken breast
    canned vegetable
    1/2 cup noodles
    Get rid of canned veg - usually full of crap. Also substitute noodles for a better preworkout carb source such as oats, brown rice, yams etc.

workout

Meal 6

protien shake
    Better add some carbs here since its a PWO shake. Take some whey and dex here, it's pretty much a de facto standard

salad before bead snack
    Salad? WTF? Slow digesting protein and healthy fat. Egg. casein/egg protein with flax, or cottage cheese, peanut butter etc. Just make sure you get around 30-40g protein and some healthy fats here. Salad before bed, that's a new one.

Thanks xenithon thats what i needed. I think i can go off this. thanks for the help

diesel21 is offline Member
    not to get off the subject, but isn't bad to have a lot of that much tuna? won't it increase your mercury levels? i switch to flounder and other fish even though I eat plenty of italian tuna.

nickrizz is offline Anabolic Member
    what does increasing mercury levals do?

Aboot is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrizz
    what does increasing mercury levals do?
    Mercury is poison, but eating several cans of tuna a day will not put you in danger of mercury poisoning.

oh, thanks aboot

i like to eat broccoli, i make water boil, put frozen broccoli in for 20 seconds and eat

Not bad nickrizz, but if you can get fresh brocolli it is preferred. Sometime the freezing processes used (instantaneous freezing etc.) can destroy certain nutrients. Also fresh tastes a whole lot better!

if you boil it for a few secs it tastes good with low sodium soy sauce

TRIBOL is offline Associate Member
    about your guesstion as i dont think it was answered yet, what i do to get my veggies in during the day is chop up onions & lettuce every sunday, put it in a huge container amd refridgerate. during the week i sprinkle a hanfull in my tuna and full fat mayo containers, which is about 3-4 meals a day cause of school and work. in the mornings, i chop up a nice green pepper and have that with my egg whites and yolks after cardio. hope that helped alittle.

TrIBOL

JKali is offline Female Member
    I was just introduced to the easiest and fastest way to steam fresh veggies (and almost no clean up). Take your veggie (asparagus, broc, etc.) put it into a large plastic bag with about a cup of water. Pop in the microwave for a minute, check it, then about another minute/2 minutes depending on the power of the microwave. It will continue cooking for a few minutes until you take it out of the bag. So much faster than steaming or boiling on the stove. When you're done you can either throw the bag away, or drain the water and save the extra for another meal.

Sorry to tell you but that is not steaming, that's nuking with water It's the actual microwaving process which destroys so many of the good nutrients in the food. Thus it doesn't matter if it is in a plastic bag, in a pyrex dish, with water, without etc.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member

steam

Quote Originally Posted by JKali
    I was just introduced to the easiest and fastest way to steam fresh veggies (and almost no clean up). Take your veggie (asparagus, broc, etc.) put it into a large plastic bag with about a cup of water. Pop in the microwave for a minute, check it, then about another minute/2 minutes depending on the power of the microwave. It will continue cooking for a few minutes until you take it out of the bag. So much faster than steaming or boiling on the stove. When you're done you can either throw the bag away, or drain the water and save the extra for another meal.
    i used to do that all the time. then i just went to walmart and bought a steamer thing for like $20. just fill er up and turn it on. easy as pie

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    Sorry to tell you but that is not steaming, that's nuking with water It's the actual microwaving process which destroys so many of the good nutrients in the food. Thus it doesn't matter if it is in a plastic bag, in a pyrex dish, with water, without etc.

Yeah, bye bye nutrients/vitamins/minerals.

Steam is the way to go.

~SC~

mcnst01 is offline Associate Member
    oh shoot, so if I steam my veggies ahead of time and then heat them up in the micro, I'm killing the "good stuff" ?

Thread Information