Naturally Anabolic is offline Associate Member

Unhappy Eliminating Water Retention...?

can anyone help with some suggestions as how to reduce water retention? things to avoid, things that help to rid yourself of it, etc?

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Cool Why, soitainly . . .

Short of using diuretics (which should be used only under medical supervision and which I do not recommend, since they zonk out your electrolyte and potassium balances big time), there are two suggestions you can implement now:

1. Change your location (see your current location line) and avoid all carbonated beverages.

2. Cut your sodium big time - sodium is the biggest contributor to water retention (as well as edema, for those who are susceptible to it). Avoid fast foods (high in salt) and start reading the nutrition labels of every processed food product (canned, frozen, packaged, or otherwise) you eat. You should get a maximum daily sodium intake of 2,400 mg. The average person (at least the average American) gets more than twice that when you take fast foods and junk foods into account. The general guideline: Up to 150 mg. sodium is considered low, 150-350 is considered acceptable, and anything over 350 mg. is high in sodium. That's a tight standard, so if you figure up to 600 mg. per individual meal, you have some room left for snacks and won't go nuts. And when it comes to home cooking, start experimenting with non-sodium spices - you'll never miss the salt.

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    Also, drink water! It sounds stupid, but it makes sence. If you are drinking a whole lot of water, your body will retain less water because it keeps coming through the system, it has less of a need to store it. Lots of water also lowers the sodium count in the body.

weightsbeforedates is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by VEGETA990
    Also, drink water! It sounds stupid, but it makes sence. If you are drinking a whole lot of water, your body will retain less water because it keeps coming through the system, it has less of a need to store it. Lots of water also lowers the sodium count in the body.
    correct, drinking excess amounts of water fools your body into thinking that it is getting more than enough and then starts releasing stored water.

ravaz is offline Associate Member
    Don't know about you guys, but the more water I drink the more bloated my belly looks. I drink over a gallon a day but for some reason I can't piss it all out, just remains in my stomach. I usually drink 12-16oz at a time between meals or with a meal. Any suggestion on making me piss more lol
    ravaz

lil_josh is offline Junior Member

pissing

I drink maybe 1-2 gallons a day and piss every 1/2 hour it seems, is this because I don't eat a lot of sodium or what?

beenie is offline Senior Member
    A no carb diet will eliminate water retention.

Mr. Trenton is offline Associate Member
    TNT, what about a salt substitute, my mom bought me Mortons Salt Substitute and it says on the shaker that its for a no salt diet and the manager at my gym told me it was ok to eat even with my pre-contest diet.

Thread Information