xenithon is offline Member

Xanthan Gum Calories

Hi All,

I have been searching for a long time for something to thicken shakes without adding calories. At first I thought of using glycerine (about 2 years ago) but this was just as the studies were coming out showing it has nutritional value and thus must be counted toward calories when listen on foods. With some searching I found that many people use Xanthan Gum, in small amounts (like 1/4 teaspoon in a shake). I know that it's listed as 85g/100g carbs and 96g fiber (if that's even possible ) but just wanted to double check if I should be worried about any added calories, or count them toward my daily calorie count.

Thanks,
    X

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    To thicken shakes, use less liquid!

~SC~

xenithon is offline Member
    Well....

That works with my egg protein and night time protein which is a blend and is already nice and thick. However it's mainly referring to those naturally thin shakes such as whey. If I want it anywhere near thick I would like a tablespoon of water to the entire shake lol which isn't quite satisfying. Even for other shakes, I do use a lot less liquid to get them thick but it ends up being something unsubstantial like 1/4 cup

If the xantham gum adds calories/carbs I won't use it, I don't really NEED it. Just trying to find new ways to make the bodybuilding lifestyle more palatable.

Cheers,
    X

Thread Information