Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Browning Grownd turkey?

How much is the content of the ground turkey changed when you brown it before eating it?

Example: I only use a bit of Pam spray on the pan before cooking it. Does this change the comp of the turkey a lot?

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Sounds like a CB handle ("Ya got Browning Ground Turkey Here . . .")

Negligible, Canes. Using PAM will do nothing to the turkey. You will not need much PAM, since ground turkey has some fat on its own (unless you are using ground turkey breast, which hardly has any fat at all and requires more Pam - it's also more expensive and tastes much drier, although its lack of fat does make it healthier).

I certainly hope you will brown it at the very least before eating it, since ground turkey is raw. Ditto any other kind of ground meat, since E. coli 0157:H7 (which can do a major number on your health) has become increasingly prevalent in many ground meat products. That's why the friendly folks at the F.D.A. recommend that all ground meat dishes (hamburgers, etc.) be cooked well done.

Here's a subjective opinion, for what it's worth . . . There has been much hype about turkey and chicken being healthier than beef. However, when it comes to ground anything, the key question is how much fat is in the product. Therefore, you may be better off with, say, ground sirloin (which has much less fat than standard chuck or even lean beef) versus regular ground turkey (which can be dripping in fat). Best of all, though: If you ever get the chance to get ground buffalo (technically bison, common in the western U.S., but hardly found in the east these days), it will out-do them all in terms of both taste and being more lean.

Talking Breaker, Breaker, calling TNT !!

Thanks TNT, I certainly will brown it. hehehe !

I bought the 99% fat free The Turkey Store brand. I will try it and then go to the 93 or 92% if it is too dry.

As for the other ground meat, I ALWAYS buy 96% lean ground sirloin, never anything else. I'll look for the ground bison, but I'm not sure I've ever seen that in my local Publix.

Norm is offline New Member
    I get the buffalo at Harris Teeter, 5 grams of fat per 1/4 pound, rather pricey at 5.99 a pound, but comparable to sirloin

bump

Thread Information