xenithon is offline Member

Question Breakfast Questions

Disclaimer: this may not make TOO much difference but I am fairly happy with the diet so now its the fine art of tweaking and tuning to get the optimum

My typical breakfast is 12 eggwhites and 75g oats (around 40g protein, 50g carbs). For variation and ease I have incorporated eggwhite powder to use (not too often, maybe 2-3 times a week) as an alternative. In those cases, I make a pudding like mixture of protein powder and raw oats (actually delicious) to get roughly the same nutritional value.

Q1: I see a contradiction in many threads about breakfast. Many people advocate a shake/pudding mix as above but with WHEY protein. They say its optimum to get the protein into your system ASAP when you wake up. However other threads say whey is only good for PWO when the speed is needed and other forms should be taken during the day for their slower digesting properties (such as eggwhite). Which one is better for breakfast?

Q2: I don't have specific days for eggs or for the powder alternative, I choose them at random. Should I change that? Should I try and make training day breakfast (4x a week) with the powder and eggs on non-training days or visa versa (bearing in mind breakfast is my preworkout meal)? If so, would whey or egg protein be the better choice?

Thanks,
    X

For breakfast whole food is better. Try to only use shakes whenever you can't get food down. But as for the eggs, yeah you need to get protein in asap, but eggs are fine. If you're really worried just do 6 egg whites with 1 scoop whey. Im guessing ur bulking because your first meal is a pro\carb, so for your second Q, again i dont think it makes a big difference. since you'll have your pwo shake right after WO, i would have egg for breakfast.
    my 2cents

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by )(PimP JuicE)(
    Im guessing ur bulking because your first meal is a pro\carb
    im cutting and dieting for a show (with good results) and eating pro/carb in the AM. just my $.02

hi there. maintaining now really. i only have carbs 3 times: breakfast, PWO and PPWO. rest of the day is protein and healthy fats.

not really worried just wondering if it is at all more 'optimal' to get in real food or a shake first thing (perhaps different for training and non training days?) and if so, if egg protein is ok or would whey be better.

Thanks,
    X

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I have 1/2 of meal 1 as a liquid quickly absorbed source (isolate or hydrolyzed) and 1/2 of the meal be solid in nature. I like the best of both worlds, and it seems to serve me well.

~SC~

diesel21 is offline Member
    like wise

thanks for the heads up guys. SC and diesl - when you say half of meal 1 are you referring to half the protein (since you mention isolate which is a protein source) or half the entire meal? In other words to get the best of both worlds would I would I have something like 5 eggwhites, oats and a scoop of whey?

Cheers,
    X

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    The 1/2 and 1/2 applies to my protein intake for that meal.

~SC~

in other words yes

TRIBOL is offline Associate Member
    i myself switted post cardio meal from a pro/fat to a pro/carb. i have 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 scoops whey, and 1 cup green tea (blended up) and i been liking the switch so far, i wait 1 - hour after cardio to have this meal/shake.

TODAY i forgot to add the whey though so i had a straight green tea and aotmeal shake, i didnt relize what i done untill i was half way to work ..lol. i guess it was one of those mornings!!!

TrIBOL

Thanks for the info, not sure how it relates to breakfast or the topic at hand though

One last question regarding this: you say you want the best of both worlds thus having whey (quick) and eggs (slow). I have read though that egg protein powder is far slower than whey but still much quicker than real eggs (due to the processing needed to get it to powder form). Would having this on workout days be OK? What I plan is as follows:
    - Breakfast = egg protein powder and oats
    - Train 90 minutes later, for around 50-60 minutes
    - PWO Nutrition immediately afterward (including whey)
    - PPWO nutrition an hour later
    Non training days I will have eggs and oats.

X

Thread Information