xenithon is offline Member

Exclamation PWO Dex vs Oats - results from those who have switched from one to the other

Hi All,

I read about 10000000000000 threads about this topic on this site as well as many others. On each there are guys with many expertise, experiences, scientific data etc. backing each viewpoint and I can see where the arguments can arise from. I am thus not trying to instigate another complex vs simple carb war

What I do want to do is ask some people for results of switching from one to the other. So, if you use to use eg. oats and whey PWO and changed to dex and whey, please post your finidings, and visa versa (dex ---> oats). I think that most people still struggling to choose between aren't too concerned about the recovery part since I believe recovery will be had from both choices. The concern has to do with fat storage and nutrient-less calories from the dex (especially those who are carb sensitive).

Any viewpoints are appreciated, in particular findings with regards to fat storage or maintaining leanness.

Cheers,
    X

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I use dextrose/whey all the time, and have never used oats. I am afraid I can't submit a comparison, but I can say that I can get extremely ripped and still include dextrose as my immediate pwo carb source.

It's all about kcals and what you KNOW you can utilize at that time. Once that's dialed, no issues.

~SC~

Well, the actual end amounts have been working for me, that's why I am considering switching from oats to dex and seeing how the body takes it. However, I take in an amount which equals 40g carbs, 40g protein from whey PWO. I believe the best option would be to experiment with dex in the same 1:1 ratio rather than jumping to the much talked about 2:1 ratio right? That way Kcals will be kept the same

PS. Anyone who has moved from one to the other please post results. As mentioned I do not want to start the 'which is better' debate, rather see what actual real-world results people have seen (in terms of fat storage, recovery, energy levels etc.).

Cheers,
    X

yes if you want to compare them to each other, but i dont understand why you have the 1:1 ratio in the first place.

Pimp Juice - experimentation. It is what I have found has worked best with my body, after a number of months of trying various amounts. I know that 'studies' may show 2:1 may be best but I am sure you will agree you have to do what works best for you and that the norm (study findings) will not always apply to you. Of course if I try out dex and it works in the same 1:1 ratio I may start playing around with numbers again as it is a different substance to oats. I do not though want to start off immediately going to 2:1 with dex.

I really appreciate all the viewpoints about the subject but am really trying to gauge real-world experiences rather than start the scientific (or other) debates about the topic as they have been done to death already I want to take a fly-on-the-wall approach I would rather address specific questions about my particular situation in another thread so that this can be more a general thread.

Thanks for the inputs,
    X

rambo is offline The Lord God
    I use carb fuel for my immediate PWO for whey, and would normally use oats or brown rice for my PPWO meal carb source. I've switched to grits, white rice, and other higher starches for my PPWO and I feel and look better. That insulin spike is what I wanted. (Another swolecat reccommendation that ahs worked out well ).

rambo - I also use something like white rice of potato PWO. Not something VERY high GI but more medium rather than very low. I used to have things like lentils (>30 GI) and moved to local sweet potatoes, kasha (around 50-60 GI). I think the main benefit was not too much about the GI but about the fiber. I used to have things with lots of fiber PPWO, now stick to things complex but low fiber.

PPWO I am on oats but I think I will try dex for a month and see how it goes - experimentation is the ONLY way to know how I will respond.

But once again, anyone with conversions stories kindly pitch in!

Cheers,
    X

Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    Well, the actual end amounts have been working for me, that's why I am considering switching from oats to dex and seeing how the body takes it. However, I take in an amount which equals 40g carbs, 40g protein from whey PWO. I believe the best option would be to experiment with dex in the same 1:1 ratio rather than jumping to the much talked about 2:1 ratio right? That way Kcals will be kept the same
    Why anyone would do a 1 to 1, when the focus pwo IS GLYCOGEN REPLINISHMENT AND A RISE IN INSULIN , is news to me.

You negate both aspects of what the pwo meal(s) are to accomplish.

But, hey, do what "works".

~SC~

SC - as stated, I am currently taking OATS PWO. With experimentation I found best results taking a 1:1 ratio to protein. However like I said above, once I give dex a go I will have to re-experiment since it is a new substance to see how I respond. But, I do not want to jump the gun and go right into a 2:1 ratio as that will be a change both in carb source and amount and I will not be able to gauge an accurate difference in response by my body. If the 1:1 works I will play around and try 2:1.

I do think it's great you are so in-tune w/your body. That aspect of what you are doing should be admired, and practiced by more people.

~SC~

Thanks man! I really do appreciate your input and respect your advice to the utmost (as well as that of all the others on the board) and hope you guys don't see my approach as simply discarding it

I have read up alot on the benefits of the 2:1 ratio and believe I will be trying that for sure, just not immediately. I guess I like to take baby-steps

Have a great day,
    X

doby48 is offline Female Member
    Currently I am taking Malto 2:1 PWO and taking complex carbs PPWO. I have in the past taken Oats with my Malto 2:1 as well as 1:1. I have also taken Oats with Dex 2:1 as well as 1:1 and taken Dex 1:1 and Malto 1:1 with no oats. I have done a lot of experimenting being diabetic and struggeled with how to get the insulin spike and not get sick or put myself into a coma...

That being said, I have found the best recovery from taking Malto 2:1 with no oats and start that immediatly following my workout. I drink that over about a 15 minute period and eat my PPWO with complex carbs within 30 minutes after I finish my PWO.
    • Sweat plus sacrifice equals success. - Charlie Finley
    • It doesn't get easier, you just get faster. - Greg LeMond
    ExRx (Exercise Prescription)

Thread Information