Aggression is offline Member

What exactly does flax do?

Ok from researching the boards here and asking around here and doing ALOT of research I have come to the conclusion that:

1)Our bodies need "good" sources of fat (like flax) to help get rid of the fat we are trying to lose.

2)Flax is a good energy source because when on a low carb diet our bodies need "good" sources of fat for energy.

3)Flax helps your joints.

4)Flax helps build muscle.

5)Flax helps to slow down the absorbtion of protein. That's why you want to take flax in your protein shake before you go to bed, so the protein can slowly feed your muscles during the the hours that you sleep. That's also why you want to take flax in all your other shakes during the day EXCEPT for your PWO shake (where you would take dextrose with it).

Am I correct?

BTW Im 6' 220 24 years old with alot of body fat. Here is my diet:

1)Breakfast 6 am (days I don't do cardio)

5 egg whites
    1/2 cup of oatmeal with splenda and cinnamon
    Whey protein shake (1 scoop, 27.5 g of protein)
    cup of green tea with splenda and a little nonfat carbcontrol milk
    multi vit, 500 mg vit c

Breakfast 6 am (days I do cardio at 5 am)

3 whole hardboiled eggs, 2 egg whites
    cup of green tea with splenda
    multi vit, 500 mg vit c

2)Brunch 8:30 am

Whey protein shake (1 scoop, 27.5 g of protein) with 1 tbsp of Flax

3)Lunch 10:30 am

1 3-4oz. chicken breast with spices
    2 tbsp of natural peanut butter

4)Snack 1:30 pm

56 g of albacore tuna with full fat mayo
    500 mg vit c

5) Pre Workout (days I lift) 3:30 pm

1/2 cup of oatmeal with splenda and cinnamon
    1 medium sized red apple

Dinner (days I don't lift in place of Pre Workout meal) 3:30 pm

Steak with spices

Post Workout 5:30 pm (days I lift)

IMMEDIATLY AFTER MY LAST SET

Whey protein shake (1 scoop 27.5 g of protein) with (5 scoops) 57.5 g of Dextrose/carbs

6)Post-Post Workout 6:15 pm (days I lift)

1 3-4oz. chicken breast with spices and marinade
    baked potato with pepper
    500 mg vit c

Evening Meal (days I don't lift in place of PPWO meal) 6:15 pm

1 3-4oz. chicken breast with spices
    2 tbsp of natural peanut butter
    500 mg vit c

7)Bedtime meal 8:30 pm

Whey protein shake (2 scoops 55 g of protein) with 1 tbsp of flax

Sleep 9:00 pm

I will also be drinking 2 gallons of water a day.
    Last edited by Aggression; 08-28-2004 at 04:18 AM.

Lozgod is offline Anabolic Member
    Flax provides EFA's.

Lozgod's EFA Info

EFA's
    Fatty acids are the building blocks in which fats and oils are composed. The fatty acids that are necassary for health and cannot be made by the body are called essential fatty acids. EFA's must be supplied through the diet.

Essential fatty acids have desirable effects on many disorders. They improve the skin and hair, reduce blood pressure, aid in the prevention of arthritis, lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, and reduce the risk of blood clot formation. They are beneficial for candidiasis, cardiovascular disease, eczema, and psoriasis. Found in high concentrations in the brain, EFA's aid in the transmission of nerve impulses and are needed for the normal development and functioning of the brain. A deficiency of essential fatty acids can lead to a decreased ability to learn and recall information.

Every living cell in the body needs EFA's. They are essential to rebuilding and producing new cells. EFA's are also used by the body to produce prostagladins, hormone-like substances that act as chemical messengers and regulators of various body processes.

There are 2 basic categories of EFA's, designated omega-3 and omega-6, based on there chemical structures. Omega-3 EFA's, including alpha-linolenic and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), are found in deep water fish, fish oil, and certain vegatable oils, among them canola, flaxseed, and walnut oil. Omega-6 EFA's, which include linoleic and gamma-linolenic acids, are found primarily in raw nuts, seeds, and legumes, and in unsaturated vegatable oils such as borage, grapeseed, sesame, and soybean oils. In order to supply these EFA's they must be in pure liquid or supplement form and must not be subjected to heat either in processing or cooking. Heat destroys EFAs. Worse it creates dangerous free radicals.

The daily requirement of EFA's is satisfied by an amount equivalent to 10 to 20 percent of your total caloric intake. The most essential EFA is linoleic acid.

So am I including flax at the right times in my diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    So am I including flax at the right times in my diet?
    I can't honestly say I know the answer, however one thing I did notice is you add milk to your green tea. A little known fact is that milk proteins block absorbtion of the bioflavanoids in green tea and drastically lowers the anti-oxidant benefits. I wont touch milk an hour before or after green tea. I drink 6 tea bags worth a day, but its 3 bags per glass.

OK I'll ditch the milk in the tea. Also, would me consuming a cup of green tea(1 tea bag) a day provide ANY benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    OK I'll ditch the milk in the tea. Also, would me consuming a cup of green tea(1 tea bag) a day provide ANY benefits?
    Hell yeah, green tea not only promotes weight loss but it is one of the most powerful anti-oxidants on the planet. As a matter of fact you can research this your self, Chinese men have a 30% higher rate of smoking but a 45% lower rate of lung cancer, and it may be attributed to the fact they consume on average 6 cups of tea a day.

So am I accurate in my statements about flax?

Quote Originally Posted by Lozgod
    Hell yeah, green tea not only promotes weight loss but it is one of the most powerful anti-oxidants on the planet. As a matter of fact you can research this your self, Chinese men have a 30% higher rate of smoking but a 45% lower rate of lung cancer, and it may be attributed to the fact they consume on average 6 cups of tea a day.
    You're just full of info aren't you.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Green tea can bump up natty test levels a lil bit too

BulkEnt is offline New Member
    I was talking to a "naturalist". The word they say on flax seed is stick with the golden seeds and the oil can go bad from temp. differences during distribution so its better to grind even though the inconvenience. The EFA might be the same they say but losing . Anyone have any idea what I am talking about because I hardly dont know about this one? Any idea how the oils can go bad.

Quote Originally Posted by BulkEnt
    I was talking to a "naturalist". The word they say on flax seed is stick with the golden seeds and the oil can go bad from temp. differences during distribution so its better to grind even though the inconvenience. The EFA might be the same they say but losing . Anyone have any idea what I am talking about because I hardly dont know about this one? Any idea how the oils can go bad.
    Yes, they go rancid. Flax does it very easily. It is best to keep flax oil refridgerated.

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Yes, they go rancid. Flax does it very easily. It is best to keep flax oil refridgerated.
    What about capsules?

Does anyone agree with my original 5 points I made about flax?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Those 5 points are valid in regards to flax oil properties, yes.

~SC~

The only thing I still don't get Swole, is how flax aids in directly building muscle.

taking flax with a protein aids in the digestion process, slowing it down, so your body keeps the protein in it longer, which helps aid in building muscle and keeps catabolism (sp) to a minimum. yeah?

Yeah that's why I take a protein shake (55 g of protein) and a tbsp. of flax right before bedtime.

longhornDr is offline Member
    Yeah, and what's their rate of gastric cancer?

Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    Yeah, and what's their rate of gastric cancer?
    Well I got a feeling you are going to tell me, because I don't know. However are you impying its caused by tea? Assuming you are insinuating of course.

Thread Information