brian11 is offline Member

What exactly is the correlation btwn. bulk/cut and strength?

I realize you cant cut and bulk at the same time. My question is what is the correlation though. For instance while cutting is it that much harder to get stronger. I know there is a loose correlation btwn size and strength but is it uncommon to get stronger while on a cutting diet? And by "bulking" is it simply refering to size and weight as opposed to strength? I ask because although I did not start cardio until today, I have been eating on a cutting diet while getting stronger, bigger and added 2lbs in 3 weeks.

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I don't have any scientific answer for this...I think everybody reacts to this differently. For example, if I'm eating and sleeping to add mass, it is pretty easy for me to gain strength. I'll get stronger, see mass gains and if my diet is where it should be, not much fat gain, if any. However, when i'm eating and doing cardio to get leaner, my strength almost immediately stops progressing and I will actually lose some strength. I do have a friend who seems to actually get stronger while cutting, he hovers around 7% all year so his cut isn't as extreme as others tho.

Dunno

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    Size and strength correlation. As muscles hypertrophy (increase in size) they develop more actin and myosin (contractile units) therefore, more actin and myosin, the greater capacity to produce force!

biglouie250 is offline Anabolic Member
    if you are on a restrictive cutting diet you can still get strength gains to a certain point. When you reduce bf % and still are in a catabolic state you are reducing the friction between your muscles and layers of fat. i lost 14 lbs during cutting last april, and may and my bench went up....so take that for what its worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypertrophy
    Size and strength correlation. As muscles hypertrophy (increase in size) they develop more actin and myosin (contractile units) therefore, more actin and myosin, the greater capacity to produce force!
    Yes, thats why I said there is a loose correlation, but there are plenty of smaller guys who can move a lot of weight, and bigger guys who cant. Although more often one will be surprised by the strength of a little guy rather than the weakness of a big guy.

Hypertrophy is offline Senior Member
    There are exceptions to every rule. Genetics play a role. Different anthropometrics can give someone a huge biomechanical advantage. Muscle fiber types also play a big role. Fast twitch muscle fibers can produce more force than slow twitch. Then there is a large neuromuscular component.

mfenske is offline Member
    I wouldn't say that it's impossible to do both simultaneously, just very difficult. I am currently trying to lean out a bit and my strength is up, my weight is up, and my bf% is down. At least I assume it is because I can see my abs better than ever and my waist size is down. Mark

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I get strong as f*ck eating KFC!

Why you ask?

Because it's FILLED TO THE F*CKING BRIM WITH PROTEIN YOU FOOLS!!!!!!

~SC~

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I get strong as f*ck eating KFC!

Why you ask?

Because it's FILLED TO THE F*CKING BRIM WITH PROTEIN YOU FOOLS!!!!!!

~SC~

LMFAO.....

**Runs to get car keys to head over to KFC for PPWO

Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    LMFAO.....

**Runs to get car keys to head over to KFC for PPWO
    Wait...I eat them KFC for breakfast. The grease is good for increasing metabolism right?

Thread Information