Thread: Bananas

DEVLDOG is offline Retired VET

Bananas

LITTLE KNOWN FACTS ABOUT THE BANANA: After Reading THIS, you'll NEVER look at a banana in the same way again!!

BANANAS: Containing three natural sugars -- sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber, a banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

DEPRESSION: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills -- eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

ANEMIA: High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

BLOOD PRESSURE: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it the perfect to beat blood pressure.

So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

BRAIN POWER: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

CONSTIPATION: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

HANGOVERS: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

HEARTBURN: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

MORNING SICKNESS: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

MOSQUITO BITES: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

NERVES: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

OVERWEIGHT AND AT WORK?: Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and crisps. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

ULCERS: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the

lining of the stomach.

TEMPERATURE CONTROL: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand, for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

SEASONAL AFFECTIVE DISORDER (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer, tryptophan.

SMOKING: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

STRESS: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

STROKES: According to research in; The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

WARTS: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around. So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A BANANA A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY."

TexasFitnessGirl is offline Female Member
    I have this incredible urge to say something dirty, but I will refrain.LOL Thanks for the info, I love bananas! So this is great stuff to know!

yes i'm sure there are other ways a banana could relieve stress for you

TexasFitnessGirl is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVLDOG
    yes i'm sure there are other ways a banana could relieve stress for you
    Actually I was talking about, scrubbing dirt off countertops, rubbing bananas peel on you in the bathtub to cure bruises and heal dry skin, Rubbing bananas on clothes to remove dirt stains! Get your mind out of the gutter!!!!!!

PS. Didnt mean to F with your post just having a little fun with you. Great info, it really is my fave fruit.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Do banana laffy taffy's count too? Skereously, bananas kick arse. I like em reel ripe when theres no green left and a nice banana smell.

i add them to my oatmeal just to give it a little flavor.

Wrath is offline Associate Member
    Yall should try this vegetable/fruit we eat alot where im from called plaintain. I can never get enough of it, fry it up and eat it with rice and some baked chicken. good eating beeeeee

Do you know if it has the same nutritional benefits as bananas?

Flex2winny is offline Associate Member
    how many consume them?????

alo5603 is offline Member
    mmmmm, my favorite fruit and now i know all the good stuff about it. Too bad im in a cutter, or i would treat myself to one right now. Plantains are real good too.

collar is offline Anabolic Member
    i love bannanas i used to have like 20 a day or so...
    lol

so everyone is "used to".....no more daily banananas????

Giantz11 is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath
    Yall should try this vegetable/fruit we eat alot where im from called plaintain. I can never get enough of it, fry it up and eat it with rice and some baked chicken. good eating beeeeee

Oh hell yeah, Plaintains are great. Great for cooking too.

jmt
    jmt is offline Associate Member
    I've never been a big fan of bananas, except in oatmeal or cereal.

*Narkissos* is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath

I was wondering about that too.

We have like 4 banana-derivative plant types growing outside: bananas; platains; figs; and buffet (a kinda cross between bananas and plantains)

Love 'em all.

But can never find the nutritional facts of these indigenous fruit.

pyschomav is offline Junior Member

Bananas vs Alvacado

I heard that Alvs have 3times less carbs and 3times more Potas? So instead of eating bananas for breakfast eat alvs this is just something that i read online? so dont quote me

Depends on what kind of meal you are trying to get in a Pro/fat or a pro/carb

Quote Originally Posted by Giantz11
    Depends on what kind of meal you are trying to get in a Pro/fat or a pro/carb
    add em to the forbidden list????????????

Quote Originally Posted by pyschomav
    I heard that Alvs have 3times less carbs and 3times more Potas? So instead of eating bananas for breakfast eat alvs this is just something that i read online? so dont quote me
    ????

Flex, I have no idea as to what you are asking?

Alvs

They are a good souce of healthy fats. And should be used in the appropiate manner.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Narkissos
    indigenous fruit.

What did you call me???

~SC~

TADOLFI is offline Member
    Pulled this stuff off the net...hope it helps.

Figs are fat-free, sodium-free and, like other plant foods, cholesterol-free.
    One serving of figs is 40 grams, about 1/4 cup, or about 3 Calimyrna figs or about 4 to 5 Mission figs.
    A small serving of about 1 1/2 dried figs equals one fruit exchange, or 15 grams of carbohydrate, provided in the form of glucose and fructose.
    Figs are high in fiber, providing 20% of the Daily Value --- more dietary fiber per serving than any other common dried or fresh fruit.
    Of the approximately five grams of fiber per serving, four grams are insoluble and one gram is water-soluble.
    Figs have the highest overall mineral content of all common fruits. A 40 gram (1/4 cup) serving provides 244 mg of potassium (7% of the DV), 53 mg of calcium (6% of the DV) and 1.2 mg of iron (6% of the DV). Based on 2,ooo calories a day.

Plantain is relatively high in calories at 125 per cup. It is an excellent source of potassium, a good source of vitamin C, contains no cholesterol and is low in sodium. One cup cooked plantain yields a trace of fat, 2.3 g dietary fiber, 465 mg potassium, 26 mcg folate, 10.9 mg vitamin C, 909 IU vitamin A, 32 mg magnesium, and 31.1 g carbohydrates

pyschomav is offline Junior Member

Recorrection

Flex I heard that Alvacados have 3x's less cals and 3xs more Postassium in comparison to bananas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex2winny
    ????

got fina? is offline Member
    Yeah i love bannanas but am also cutting so dont eat them much.

Bannanas peals are also great to use to boobie trap an area. I always keep two or three fresh peels at the entrance to my house just in case i get intruders...

Bannanas peals are also great to use to boobie trap an area. I always keep two or three fresh peels at the entrance to my house just in case i get intruders...
    Yet another Benefit!

never realized the sugar was through the roof!!!!!!!!! mayb 1/2 every am???? man....

Duck of Death is offline Associate Member
    [QUOTE=TexasFitnessGirl]Actually I was talking about, scrubbing dirt off countertops, rubbing bananas peel on you in the bathtub to cure bruises and heal dry skin, Rubbing bananas on clothes to remove dirt stains! Get your mind out of the gutter!!!!!!

..mmmmmmm........ banana peels in the bathtub........... sounds like all sorts of fun!

jmt
    jmt is offline Associate Member
    This isht is bananas.

ice cream and brownies may be better `

911regular is offline New Member
    Anybody read that article (cant remeber where I just read it) that there will be no more bananas in less than 10 years, supposedly a disease is killin banana plants all over and biologists cant figure out why, the article said we will only have banana plant derivatives by the year 2013. That sux.

bor
    bor is offline D-bol Poppin'
    Luv my bananas.......

And nark, I just HATE figs, too sweet, we also eat them dry here, I have sh!tloads of it in my summer home - garden, I'll send ya a batch

kuad is offline Member
    figs?

adioz is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEVLDOG
    i add them to my oatmeal just to give it a little flavor.
    Devldog-- thanks for the info, never knew all of those facts, only some.. btw, do you still have the link where you found the info?

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    old thread

ottomaddox is offline "Better Safe Than Sorry"
    old thread, but I just have to say, one time I got a banana hand job from my girlfriend. Sounds kind of wierd but, she finished both banana's that nite.

DevlDog -- you still got the link for the info you posted here??

y100adics is offline Associate Member
    This thread is from 2 years ago ... so Devldog will most likely not answer you

Quote Originally Posted by y100adics
    This thread is from 2 years ago ... so Devldog will most likely not answer you
    Gotcha, Thanks, didn't notice the date at first..

Thread Information