Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    simplecanibus is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    california
    Posts
    288

    Is Jump Rope for Morning Cardio Ok?

    I'm on a cutting diet right now and everything is good, but the new semester of college just started and if I want to get my morning cardio in i'll have to do before i get ready for school. just wondering if i'll be losing too much muscle by doing jump rope. i hear 20-25 minutes of jump rope is great cardio and totally will blow your calves up too, but i know it gets your heart rate a little up. i don't want to ruin anything, so give me your suggestions. thanks.

  2. #2
    usualsuspect's Avatar
    usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    2,936
    Save your beer money and invest in a good heart rate monitor. Effective cardio for fat loss should be performed at 65%-75% of your max heart rate.

  3. #3
    Aboot's Avatar
    Aboot is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Not a well known name.
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by simplecanibus
    I'm on a cutting diet right now and everything is good, but the new semester of college just started and if I want to get my morning cardio in i'll have to do before i get ready for school. just wondering if i'll be losing too much muscle by doing jump rope. i hear 20-25 minutes of jump rope is great cardio and totally will blow your calves up too, but i know it gets your heart rate a little up. i don't want to ruin anything, so give me your suggestions. thanks.

    As long as you're getting your heartrate to the desired level, jumping rope is excellent.

  4. #4
    brian11's Avatar
    brian11 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Under the gym
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by usualsuspect
    Save your beer money and invest in a good heart rate monitor. Effective cardio for fat loss should be performed at 65%-75% of your max heart rate.
    Correct

    Its good for boxers because they worry more about quickness than mass. You can still be strong and not big. Jumping rope won't make you weak or anything, but it may inhibit some growth. All about the goals right? Well good luck.

  5. #5
    simplecanibus is offline Associate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    california
    Posts
    288
    can any of you suggest some cardio i do at home that i don't need a machine for that will keep my heart rate low?

  6. #6
    Aboot's Avatar
    Aboot is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Not a well known name.
    Posts
    1,793
    Quote Originally Posted by simplecanibus
    can any of you suggest some cardio i do at home that i don't need a machine for that will keep my heart rate low?
    Speed walking would be a simple one, although you'd have to go *gulp* OUTSIDE.

  7. #7
    SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    25,778
    Jumping rope is a poor cardio choice. One cannot do that productively for fat loss for a 40-45 minute period.

    ~SC~

  8. #8
    Panzerfaust's Avatar
    Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Deutschland
    Posts
    8,828
    I second that SC.

    Jumping rope is good for endurance and i use it for Jiu-Jitsu training, but like said above, can you jump rope for 45 minutes keeping your heart rate at the desired 65-75% range?

    I sure in the hell can't.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •