Aggression is offline Member

Olive oil at room temp

After you open a bottle of olive oil can you leave it at room temp or do you have to refrigerate it?

LS1
    LS1 is offline Associate Member
    room temp.

Aggression is offline Member
    Why is it bad to refrigerate it?

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    Why is it bad to refrigerate it?

Just leave it in a cabinet room temp. VERY SIMPLE.

I Stand Alone is offline Junior Member
    In the fridge or room temp. it still taste like crap. I feel like a kid taking meds, holding my nose and drinking the oil. In a shake, cooking with it, i think it taste god awful.

xenithon is offline Member
    Perhaps you are buying crappy oil. Honestly, it is worth investing in a good quality oil. Don't get a supermarket generic. Go to a deli or a good market and get some proper (slightly more expensive) extra virgin olive oil. Don't use it for cooking, rather for sauces, dips, dressings etc. Rule of thumb - the darker the oil the stronger the flavor. I like it strong when it is fruity and peppery. I hate those 'extra light' oils (light referring to flavor not fat content ). My favorites would be Italian, Spanish or Israeli.

simplecanibus is offline Associate Member
    don't refrigerate it unless you don't use it all by 6 weeks after you bought it. that's the general rule.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplecanibus
    don't refrigerate it unless you don't use it all by 6 weeks after you bought it. that's the general rule.
    I've never heard that before. I wonder how old my moms olive oil is. That bottle looks pretty old.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by slizzut
    Just leave it in a cabinet room temp. VERY SIMPLE.

But why can't I par-boil the oil, the attempt to freeze next to the cheese??

~SC~

diesel21 is offline Member
    olive oil is amazing...........

diesel21 is offline Member
    olive oil is amazing...........

khurrams is offline Associate Member
    I think u'r buying the cheap kind....spend some flow and get the original italian cold pressed extra extra virgin olive oil.......It tastes phenominal....

alex117k is offline Junior Member
    If you refrigerate it I think it'll solidify - how would you get it out of the bottle then?

Don't refrigerate it, just leave it at room temp. There is no time limit as to how long you can leave it at room temp.

BASK8KACE is offline Anabolic Member
    You can leave it at roomtemp. I keep mine in a dark cabinet at room temp. You can refrigerate it, but it's not neccessary. Here's some more info for you:

Air, heat, and light will cause olive oil to turn rancid, so it should be stored in a cool place in an airtight container. Store at a temperature of 14 degrees C. or 57 degrees F. If you have a wine cellar, store your olive oils there and keep a small amount in your kitchen. Always replace the cap on the bottle. Do not put olive oil in a container without a tight cap.

When chilled, or in cold weather, the oil may turn cloudy and even solidfy. Such oil will clear again as it warms, so cloudiness should not be taken as an indication that the oil is past its prime. Be sure bottles are tightly sealed. Olive oil can be refrigerated but doing so will cause it to congeal and turn cloudy, but should not affect flavor. If refrigerated, olive oil will return to its original, liquid state when warmed to room temperature again.

Tinted glass, porcelain, or stainless steel are the best materials for containers; oil should never be stored in plastic or in reactive metals. Stay away from plastic containers as the oil can absorb PVCs.

Reference:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/OliveOilRancid.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BASK8KACE
    You can leave it at roomtemp. I keep mine in a dark cabinet at room temp. You can refrigerate it, but it's not neccessary. Here's some more info for you:

Air, heat, and light will cause olive oil to turn rancid, so it should be stored in a cool place in an airtight container. Store at a temperature of 14 degrees C. or 57 degrees F. If you have a wine cellar, store your olive oils there and keep a small amount in your kitchen. Always replace the cap on the bottle. Do not put olive oil in a container without a tight cap.

When chilled, or in cold weather, the oil may turn cloudy and even solidfy. Such oil will clear again as it warms, so cloudiness should not be taken as an indication that the oil is past its prime. Be sure bottles are tightly sealed. Olive oil can be refrigerated but doing so will cause it to congeal and turn cloudy, but should not affect flavor. If refrigerated, olive oil will return to its original, liquid state when warmed to room temperature again.

Tinted glass, porcelain, or stainless steel are the best materials for containers; oil should never be stored in plastic or in reactive metals. Stay away from plastic containers as the oil can absorb PVCs.

Reference:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Q-A/OliveOilRancid.htm

Good post, bro

simplecanibus is offline Associate Member
    well, unless you buy about a gallon of olive oil at a time you should have no problem finishing the bottle in 6 weeks if your taking just 2 tablespoons a day. so don't even worry about it. never cook olive oil by the way.

63190 is offline Anabolic Member
    57ºF? Man that sucks. It's never that cool in my kitchen. And all this time I've been keeping it above the freaking stove. Oh well. At least it was in it's original air tight glass bottle and in the dark.

Thread Information