jason3500 is offline Junior Member

Sodium intake - what is daily limit

I was wondewring if anyone knows what would be the approximate daily limit of sodium to stay very lean.?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    It's going to depend on your bodyweight (in relation to water), the water itself in your body, and how much water you drink daily. "Very lean" also is going to be a fat issue, but as far as "holding water" because of sodium, if you drink enough to flush the excess out, you should be just fine. You could be holding literally no water and still not be lean (meaning fat to lose), or you could also be ripped to the bone, but be holding TONS of sub-q water.

Just drink lots of water, and you should be fine.

TIP: When seasoning food, use 1/2 real salt and 1/2 salt substitute (Potassium)
    This helps to balance out the sodium in your body along w/the water intake, and you will always hold less water when you do this. I take a potassium tab at breakfast, and again before bed, and I do the 1/2 and 1/2 thing above, while drinking 1.5 gallons of water per day. Since doing this, my body holds a LOT less water daily, as I am one who can hold a LOT of water. The good thing is that when I decide to lower water, cut out sodium, carb up, etc. (for a show) I can drop 8 lbs. in the last week alone, dry as a desert.

~SC~

Thanks for coming back to me on this, should I not just avoid salt or other sodium as much as possible and drink lots of water or will the denial of sodium cause my body to hold onto it?

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame

I thought I was clear above, .

If you limit sodium, your body MAKES it's own to compensate, and you end up holding more water than Lake Tahoe.

~SC~

Yes I see now that you did answer my question, my appologies I think what I was trying to find out is more or less how much sodium should I have in a day as i dont use salt on anything I eat really, does that mean I should start putting salt into my seasoning ands take potassium and inother words up my current sodium intake as for now that only thing I really eat and drink is 1 can of diet coke, coffee and water. All I eat is Oats,chicken,meat. So other than the diet do I need to now add salt or potassium or am I ok like this?

CAn also get potassium pills at pharmacy, however need to know what miligram tabs?

longhornDr is offline Member
    Just drink as much water as you can. It doesn't sound like you are eating excessive amounts of salt so dont worry about trying to fine tune the amount.

eggplant is offline Member
    just do what you have been doing..do not try adding 'extra' sodium..if you've been eating frozen chicken all along..as an example..just continue doing it..just drink plenty of water...any radical changes on sodium(cut it out) will make your body hold more water...

Thread Information