broncojosh is offline Senior Member

how much is too much salt?

How much is too much salt in a health guys daily diet?

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I try to keep as much out as possible it causes you to retain water

TNT
    TNT is offline Retired Moderator

Re: how much is too much salt?

Anything over 2,400 mg. of sodium per day - that's the recommended maximum allowance for anyone, male or female, regardless of age or weight.

So it would be correct to say that most people get too much sodium in their diets, most of it coming from prepared foods, canned foods, and fast foods.

(Next time you're at the supermarket, for example, check the sodium content on a can of regular Campbell's soup. Look at the sodium per serving, then multiply it by the number of servings in a can. Surprise! It has almost as much as the recommended daily maximum.)

And RON is correct - too much salt contributes to water retention, high blood pressure, edema, and even congestive heart failure.

So the key is not simply to watch how much salt you should sprinkle on your food (which is none, since well-prepared food doesn't need salt for flavor), the key to watch is how much salt is already in the food apart from the salt shaker.

beenie is offline Senior Member
    I thought that the AMA had backed off of that proclimation last year. The study I came accross said that while in the past sodium was thought to lead to high blood pressure current research suggests that it leads to short term spikes in bp. So, their conclusion, and I can't cite the specific study because its been a while,was that if you don't have high blood pressure or heart disease salt is ok.

Now that I have said this, here I want to concur that my observation is that salt adds to the retention of water. Counter productive if you want to be lean. But, don't forget that in some forms of atheletics (such as football), salt tabs are taken to replenish what is lost during the game. Remember too, salt IS one of the electrolites.

Now, for a more direct answer to your question: I don't know the exact amount that is right for you Broncojosh. There is already a lot added to any processesd food you but so its really hard to avoid.
    Last edited by beenie; 03-07-2002 at 05:34 AM.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Never add salt on your food as that most food have too much in them all ready.....

xenithon is offline Member
    arrgggg

i have been doing some label reading lately and i feel sorta sick!

tuna = around 2g/can
    cold meat = around 2g/100g

i am mainly worries cause those r 2 important protein sources. my other sources eg. eggs, chicken, steak etc. i make myself so can keep salt out, but does this mean that I (and I suppose most people on the board) get around 5g/day easy (according to all the diets i read)

xzoomzx is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by xenithon
    arrgggg

i have been doing some label reading lately and i feel sorta sick!

tuna = around 2g/can
    cold meat = around 2g/100g

i am mainly worries cause those r 2 important protein sources. my other sources eg. eggs, chicken, steak etc. i make myself so can keep salt out, but does this mean that I (and I suppose most people on the board) get around 5g/day easy (according to all the diets i read)
    i get chicken of the sea brand tuna and it has alot less sodium and i make my meats and do not buy deli meats

palme is offline Rosie Member
    In the military they say that when you have been on long and hard exercise be sure to put some extra salt on your food.
    I think we all sweat alot in the gym and to add some extra salt wont make us get heart attacks.

Thread Information