Aggression is offline Member

What would be better for bedtime?

I'm 24 6' 220 with some body fay I'm trying to cut.

Lately I have been drinking a Micellean protein shake (2 scoops, 40 g of protein) with 10 oz. of cold water and 1 tbsp of flax oil for my bedtime meal. That comes to 40 g of protein, 4 g of carbs, 16 g of fats, 2 g of sugars, and 340 calories.

Would it be better if I replaced the water with 12 oz. of some Hood Fat Free Carb Countdown dairy beverage? That would bring me to 58 g of protein, 8.5 g of carbs, 16 g of fats, 6.5 g of sugars, and 445 calories.

I figure it's 18 g more protein if I go with the dairy beverage.

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    No, keep the water. The milk doesn't reall serve a purpose, especially the fat-free low carb milk, it practically IS water.

Yeah but I would use a serving and 1/2 (12 oz.) and that is an extra 18 g of protein.

But if I did just use water, is 40 g of protein enough to get me through an 8 hour sleep?

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    no. do what i do, wake up every 4 hours and drink a shake

The protein in the milk isn't going to contribute towards building muscle. It may slow the digestion a very small amount. Just stick with water bro.

Why won't the protein in the 'dairy beverage' help toward building muscle?

The fact that it may slow digestion is irrelevent because 1) it's a slow time released protein and 2) I'm using 1 tbsp of flax oil which will more than help slow down the digestion.

Slizz the question still stands. With the 1 tbsp of flax, is taking only 40 g of protein enough for my bedtime shake?

Im not sure if he could answer this for you. only you will know if it will work for you or not. Personly i take 50+g's. im same weight as you and its working for me, but i also have about 8 scoops PB with it too, lol, not everynight, but some...

Quote Originally Posted by Aggression

The fact that it may slow digestion is irrelevent because 1) it's a slow time released protein and 2) I'm using 1 tbsp of flax oil which will more than help slow down the digestion.

Slizz the question still stands. With the 1 tbsp of flax, is taking only 40 g of protein enough for my bedtime shake?

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Sorry to disagree with you Slizzut but the protien from the milk will build muscle.....and there is nothing wrong with using low carb milk before bed with some whey and an EFA. It will slow digestion along with the efa and hopefully hold you as long as possible while you sleep

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggression

Dang bro, didn't he answer you like 238524989 times?

USE WATER, F*CK THE FAKE MILK.

That fake stuff doesn't always have what it says it does, and it's still got the dairy properties that many who are sensitive to dairy should steer clear from.

Water/whey/healthy fat is more than fine before bed. Throw in some miccelar casein if you wish, but I'd use water myself. I'm not big on these "low-carb" new products, as I was getting ripped to the bone before them with REAL foods, and there is no room for error when you do that.

Your call though. You'll never see me prescribing that stuff before bed, if ever.

~SC~

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 09-27-2004 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LeanMeOut
    Sorry to disagree with you Slizzut but the protien from the milk will build muscle.....and there is nothing wrong with using low carb milk before bed with some whey and an EFA. It will slow digestion along with the efa and hopefully hold you as long as possible while you sleep

Its not real milk though, LMO.. its low carb fat free. They add preservatives to it to up the protein.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Stick with Water/Pro/EFA

That simple....

Quote Originally Posted by slizzut
    Its not real milk though, LMO.. its low carb fat free. They add preservatives to it to up the protein.

That, and just because it's "Low carb" does not mean it doesn't have calories.

Water does not.

If you are thinking of using some of the "protein" in the low carb product INSTEAD of the whey, well, all I can do is at that one, because there is no comparison in protein quality and amino acid assimilation once in the body.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    That, and just because it's "Low carb" does not mean it doesn't have calories.

Water does not.

If you are thinking of using some of the "protein" in the low carb product INSTEAD of the whey, well, all I can do is at that one, because there is no comparison in protein quality and amino acid assimilation once in the body.

~SC~

No what I was saying to LMO is that it isn't necesary and it doesn't help.

No what I was saying to LMO is that it isn't necesary and it doesn't help.

I know bro, my post was in agreement WITH you.

The "you" in my statement was not YOU, sorry for the confusion, I should have been my normally clear self.

~SC~

Like always it depends on the person's body...... EVERYONE is different. I don't see a problem with him using half milk, half whey, and an EFA if his body reacts fine to it. Try it and see if it works..... if your not getting results then go with what we all know works. Do I use Low Carb Milk before bed?? HELL NO.... but I don't see a problem using it unless you trying to diet for a show or something, same with other forms of dairy. It all depends on your goals, however if I were you I would do what Swole and Slizzut prescribed.

Also, I know the amino profile in the low carb milk is no where near that of whey protein, however I still don't see it is a HUGE issue to be used in diet. Some people can't live without milk.... it is just a body type issue. I myself have a metabolism & body similar to Swole from what he describes, so I can't really use it too much or I bloat. However look @ some other bodytypes who can take in 500 grams of carbs everyday while on a bulking cycle and lose fat somehow......yes I know they are taking loads of gear but guess what? This is a steroid site, so I don't want to hear it. I can give you guys a link right now if you want to see who I am talking about.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again....I think we are being too close minded in a lot of our dieting tips. I think from now on we need to start asking people what their specific goals are and if they are dieting for a show or morbidly obese etc, because if not there is no need to kill yourself the way we recommend some people to do.

Yep I know .....but again I wasn't saying don't use Whey at all, I was saying use half and half for your protein. Read my post above and it will explain my thoughts.

True bro, but I can't endorse something I feel won't benefit another the same way another method would. (another method that is very good)

Perhaps when it comes to actual cardio or meal planning I could see variation, but in this instance I really cannot.

I do agree with there being tons of approaches, I just feel this case (regarding the items/time/etc) is pretty consistent as far as what recommendations I would make.

As far as what is actually done/carried out, I don't care.

Peace!

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 09-27-2004 at 12:27 PM.

True bro, but I can't endorse something that won't benefit another the same way another method would.

Perhaps when it comes to actual cardio or meal planning I could see variation, but in this instance I really cannot.

I do agree with there being tons of approaches, I just feel this case (regarding the items/time/etc) is pretty consistent as far as what recommendations I would make.

~SC~

Gotcha.......again like I said personally I use Whey/Water/Flax....... but I don't see a problem like I said.

I'll agree to disagree with ya on this one

longhornDr is offline Member
    What's the deal with bad-mouthing milk protein....it's whey and caesin, do you think that isolating whey and caesin from milk and marking up the price 500% somehow makes it superior for building muscle?

Adding preservatives to increase protein content? That's nonsense. The low carb milks I have seen have whey added to them, not a **** thing wrong with that, no different than any other fortified milk.

Low-carb milk is not a supplement, it is considered a food product and is thus regulated by the FDA, meaning the label is as close to accurate as you could reasonably expect.

Sorry Swole I don't think he answered me 238524989 times. I just wanted to know if 40 g was enough protein to get me through the night. If I added the "fat free milk" to the Micellean that would add another 18 g of protein making it 58 g.

But from reading the posts here I get the idea that the protein in that "fat free" milk is useless protein. So instead I will use 2 scoops of the Miccelean with 10 oz. of water and 1 tbsp of flax oil before bed.

Unless......someone convinces me otherwise.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    What's the deal with bad-mouthing milk protein....it's whey and caesin, do you think that isolating whey and caesin from milk and marking up the price 500% somehow makes it superior for building muscle?

Adding preservatives to increase protein content? That's nonsense. The low carb milks I have seen have whey added to them, not a **** thing wrong with that, no different than any other fortified milk.

Low-carb milk is not a supplement, it is considered a food product and is thus regulated by the FDA, meaning the label is as close to accurate as you could reasonably expect.
    i'm glad that someone pointed this out...the LC milk isnt the worst type of milk out there...it's primarily whey and the whole FDA regulation thing is definitely a fact. I used a small amount to make a Low Carb Cappucino and didnt feel any bloat or anything...now i know that you guys know your sh*t, but i dont think this stuff is gonna hurt someone's diet all that much, provided the calorie count will be in check even when consuming the LC milk.

Ya'll do what you do, I'll do what I do, everyone do what they do.

There isn't one answer here, no, so to each his very precious own.

~SC~

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    Ya'll do what you do, I'll do what I do, everyone do what they do.

There isn't one answer here, no, so to each his very precious own.

~SC~
    best answer of the night...if it works do it....if your getting fat then dont....personally i dont think it'll kill a diet, but it is dependent on goals of an individual....for a true cutting diet, dairy may not be the optimal choice...for someone looking to drop some bodyfat im sure it can be fit into a diet....what ever works for you. (and keeps you sane)

Thread Information