Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    YoungGuns20 is offline Junior Member

Best Fruits to eat?

I have dropped 20 pounds, down to 166 6' foot but ripped. I lifeguarded all summer and lost a ton of results. I have had people tell me I look sick compared to last semester. I have ordered my PCT and M1T ready to bring the results back. I have went to the grocery store and got all my diet foods to put quality pounds on. My question is this, what are the best fruits to eat, and the best tasting greens. People will laugh but I have never ate anything green, and hardly any veggies. HELP HELP HELP!

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Fibrous vegetable are best.... ie. Broccoli....
    I personally don't eat many fruits...

slizzut is offline Senior Member
    Spinach, romain lettuce, broccoli, coliflower. I don't really eat fruits because of all the fructose in them.

Soldier of Misfortune is offline Senior Member
    Bananas

This is an awsome post on bananas. They are good, I eat em all the time.

haha i was about to say the same thing about the banannas, they are good.

Aggression is offline Member
    For my pre workout meal (about an hour before I workout) I have 1/2 cup of oatmeal with some cinnamon and a packet of splenda, 2 scoops of Muscle Milk in 12 oz. of fat free carb coundown dairy beverage, and RIGHT before I workout I have a medium sized fuji apple.

I get slow burning low gi carbs from the oats. Protein and "lean lipids" fats (for energy) from the Muscle Milk. And I get low gi carbs and a good source of sugars (which supply instant energy) from the fuji apple. Plus, I don't feel stuffed and bloated but yet feel full and have energy.
    Last edited by Aggression; 09-27-2004 at 12:24 AM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but you get no "instant energy" from an apple.

Fructose goes to your liver, and if that's full, it's stored as fat. It will not provide energy.

~SC~

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    Here is a list of fruits and when best to eat them, i got this off a site awhile back:

Below are just a few fruits that can be consumed and what times are best to consume them:

Early in the day
    ? Apples
    ? Strawberries
    ? Oranges
    ? Grapefruits
    ? Cherries
    ? Pears
    Later in the day (after 6pm) and possibly post-workout
    ? Grapes
    ? Bananas*
    ? Peaches
    ? Pineapple
    ? Dates
    ? Figs*
    *Because of higher tryptophan levels, these may be helpful in inducing sleep.

I got this from http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=172food and clicked on the "Forbidden fruit" link later in this article. Nice read.
    Last edited by Panzerfaust; 09-27-2004 at 11:27 AM.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you get no "instant energy" from an apple.

Fructose goes to your liver, and if that's full, it's stored as fat. It will not provide energy.
    So what benefits does an apple provide pre workout? Could I just take the oatmeal and muscle milk shake and be fine?

co2boi is offline Anabolic Member
    Apples have lots of fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Aggression
    So what benefits does an apple provide pre workout? Could I just take the oatmeal and muscle milk shake and be fine?
    Where is the apple before working out coming from? I mean, that idea?

I prescribe apples in nutritional programs, and at times before training, but it's not for energy. Curious to know why you chose to include it.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Where is the apple before working out coming from? I mean, that idea?

I prescribe apples in nutritional programs, and at times before training, but it's not for energy. Curious to know why you chose to include it.

~SC~
    I've been told by alot of great bros that they ingest an apple Pre WO as well...
    Why do YOU prescribe them?

Quote Originally Posted by Blown_SC
    I've been told by alot of great bros that they ingest an apple Pre WO as well...
    Why do YOU prescribe them?
    U take all the fun out of my posts!

I wanted to hear the reasoning from the other gentleman first!

Ah well, it helps with T3/T4 conversion in a state of low carbohydrate intake.

~SC~

~SC~
    I'm a prick ...
    Thanks.

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member

~SC~
    By what mechanism does the apple do this?

From all the posts I read on this forum, I have read that oats, protein shake, and apple is good for pre workout.

I'll see if I can find the posts later tonight.

Can you please explain the T3/T4 conversion in a state of low carbohydrate intake?

What does that mean?

A general summary:

It stimulates your thyroid to keep working at an optimal pace, without affecting your blood sugar.

~SC~

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Swole - How frequently should apples be eaten in order to maintain thyroid activity?

I currently eat 3 a week, all on the same day though, my high carb day.

Thanks,

NotSmall.

~SC~

~SC~
    OK, I know it was a bit of a 'How long is a piece of string?' question, maybe I didn't phrase it to your liking.

Try this:
    How does an apple support thyroid function? I'm presuming its because fructose goes to the liver, which is also where T4 is converted to T3, so perhaps the fructose helps to 'fuel' the conversion, yes? That being the case what would a rough guideline be for consumption of apples to support the conversion of T4 to T3 while on a low carbohydrate diet?

Thanks Swole,

NotSmall.

Again, I put a here, as this will most certainly be dependent upon what "low" carb diet you are on. How low is low, what your eating breakdown looks like daily for training days/off days/etc.

I understood your question entirely the first time, but there is no way to accurately answer it.

~SC~

OK bro, sorry phrased it wrong, I was just looking for some guidelines really. I prefer to try to understand the principles and build my own diet from there, that way I can tweak it and adapt it as I go, using a diet someone gives you is OK until you want to change something - you know what I mean?

I'm 6'2", 245lbs 15% bf. I lift mon, wed, fri and do cardio tues, thurs, sat (50min run before breakfast) sunday is rest day. I consume 400g protein everyday, 100g carbs on cardio/rest days, 175g carbs on lifting days. One day a week I up the carbs to 300g, currently this is monday because I do chest on monday which is lagging so I figure this is the best day for the extra carbs, make any sense?
    So as you can see it is not an extremely low carb diet.

Like I say, I didn't mean to come across as wanting an answer like: 'Eat 3.2 apples a week to ensure a healthy thyroid' I was just curious as to whether its a daily requirement or more like a weekly one.

Thanks,

NotSmall.

You don't need much fruit at all if your carbs are that high, no.

~SC~

How low do you have to drop the carbs for the thyroid to be a concern?

Again, this is going to differ on individual metabolism, insulin sensitivity, genetics, etc.
    Usually in a state of very low carb dieting, weekly refeeds are encouraged, at least for a day. You have to guage progress and adjust your "cheat" day accordingly.

~SC~

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member
    Again, this is going to differ on individual metabolism, insulin sensitivity, genetics, etc.
    Usually in a state of very low carb dieting, weekly refeeds are encouraged, at least for a day. You have to guage progress and adjust your "cheat" day accordingly.

~SC~
    In the presence of a low carb diet would not an apple replensish liver glycogen and therefore provide glucose for ATP when muscle glycogen is depleted? Also would this not help prevent the liver from receiving glycogen PWO while intaking dextrose for muscle glycogen replensishment? This was my rationale as to taking in an apple PreWO.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    In the presence of a low carb diet would not an apple replensish liver glycogen and therefore provide glucose for ATP when muscle glycogen is depleted? Also would this not help prevent the liver from receiving glycogen PWO while intaking dextrose for muscle glycogen replensishment? This was my rationale as to taking in an apple PreWO.
    Aha, thankyou ChosenOne!

Fructose does nothing for muscle glycogen, no.

The liver receiving glycogen pwo from dextrose is NOT what's going to happen first no matter if fruit was eaten or not. The energy from the dextrose will be used for muscular repair, not stored in the liver.

So no, eating the apple before working out does not allow the pwo dextrose to complete it's job any more effeciently.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 09-28-2004 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    Aha, thankyou ChosenOne!
    Ummm, he asked a question.

~SC~

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    "Simple carbs, specifically fresh fruit, have always played an important role in my diet. Strawberries, pineapple packed in its own juice, pears, apples and fresh Georgia peaches (when they're in season) help to enhance digestion and to support high-intensity performance. Quick energy -- that's the beauty of simple carbs."

- Lee Haney

SLOW-DIGESTING CARBS

If controlling your appetite is an issue, slow's the way to go. Slow-digesting carbs take a longer time to reach the blood, which helps you feel full. Slow-digesting carbs are also a good source before training--especially when dieting. These carbs may help spare the burning of glycogen. Protecting your glycogen stores while you're on a calorie-controlled diet ultimately can help save your muscle mass.

Endomorphic bodybuilders--those who struggle to control bodyfat--can make slow-digesting carbs the mainstay of their mass-building diet. In general, slower-digesting carbs help to curb the appetite and maintain a slow and steady release of insulin , which aids in the control of bodyfat levels.

GOOD
    SELECTIONS
    OF SLOW-DIGESTING
    CARBS

Apples
    Beans
    Brown
    Rice
    Cream of Rye cereal
    Oatmeal/oat bran cereal
    Oranges
    Red potatoes
    Rye bread
    Seven-grain broad
    Yogurt

- Flex, Nov, 2003 by Chris Aceto

"Apples: I've harped on the benefits of this food before. Three apples per day can result in significant weight loss over 12 weeks.(9) A great satiating pre-meal "anti-appetizer" (i.e. way to slow down and moderate blood sugar) (11), apples also provide a few grams of fiber, a favorable glycemic index and even improved biological functioning. There is at least one report that middle-aged men who consume five apples per week have better lung function (FEV1) compared to those who don't partake.(7) Although lung function doesn't typically limit athletic performance, this is nonetheless cool."

- The Food Pharmacy, or "Down on the Pharm"
    A T-Nation Mini-text In-progress
    by Dr. Lonnie Lowery

TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member

The liver receiving glycogen pwo from dextrose is NOT what's going to happen first no matter if fruit was eaten or not. The energy from the dextrose will be used for muscular repair, not stored in the liver.

So no, eating the apple before working out does not allow the pwo dextrose to complete it's job any more effeciently.

~SC~
    Cut me some slack here SC it sounded good didnt it? It was a nice hypothesis I came up with on the fly and it sure made logical sense to me but d*mnit it must not be the case. When does liver glycogen get replenished? PPWO? It has to be refueled sometime doesnt it?

I am in the midst of some graduate nutrition classes and am just enthralled by all of this. I may pick your brain more in the comming months for random other hypothesises of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne
    Cut me some slack here SC it sounded good didnt it? It was a nice hypothesis I came up with on the fly and it sure made logical sense to me but d*mnit it must not be the case. When does liver glycogen get replenished? PPWO? It has to be refueled sometime doesnt it?

I am in the midst of some graduate nutrition classes and am just enthralled by all of this. I may pick your brain more in the comming months for random other hypothesises of mine.

Yeah bro, you're all good I wasn't flamin' ya!

I was laughing at the way in which the other guy said "aha, thank you chosenone!", when you were simply throwing out questions for discussion.

That cracked me up.

~SC~

Yeah bro, you're all good I wasn't flamin' ya!

I was laughing at the way in which the other guy said "aha, thank you chosenone!", when you were simply throwing out questions for discussion.

That cracked me up.

~SC~
    Glad I could amuse you!

I did understand that his post was in the form of a question, I am not retarded. I was thanking him for at least offering SOME insight into the purpose an apple would serve while on a low carb diet as you, for some reason, seemed reluctant to release any of your vast dietary knowledge in my direction.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    Glad I could amuse you!

I did understand that his post was in the form of a question, I am not retarded. I was thanking him for at least offering SOME insight into the purpose an apple would serve while on a low carb diet as you, for some reason, seemed reluctant to release any of your vast dietary knowledge in my direction.
    You must be retarted, as I responded to EACH of your questions, but you are asking questions that there is NO ONE ANSWER TO! So me being reluctant is b.s., as I answered what I could answer, or what WAS ANSWERABLE. In addition, I answered TheChosenOne's question as well that you were praising, so you have yet ANOTHER ANSWER THERE.

Show me where I am "WITH-HOLDING INFO".

You act like I "OWE" you something?

Even think of keeping a journal? Keeping a log? Keeping in touch w/your body and making adjustments as you go, instead of asking people here to see the future? Do some work, then look back and reflect, then adjust. No one can tell you what is ideal for you, you will have to experiment.

Sorry, but I'm no palm reader and I don't own a crystal ball.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 09-29-2004 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat for all to see/view, only to have a select few skip over it and whine about it taboot

~SC~
    In case you missed it.

~SC~

Dear me SwoleCat, relax a little. I ackowledged the fact that my first question was too vague and explained that I just wanted to understand what the benefits of adding apples to a low carb diet would be, which I imagine you could have answered very easily had you chosen to.
    Where was I asking anyone to predict the future?
    I do keep a record of what I eat, what part of which of my posts indicated that I didn't?
    And yes, you did provide some useful information in the post above - after my post thanking TheChosenOne.
    It is not my intention to become embroiled in one of your drawn out flaming battles but you have already started name-calling so I can only imagine things will descend from here.

They will only descend the more you keep offering up smart-ass remarks such as "seemed reluctant to release any of your vast dietary knowledge in my direction".

That'll never work for getting me to assist, no. I don't take well to those playing the "marter", insinuating that I haven't helped out. Some questions you can give guidance on, which I have, as definitive answers are not applicable in certain scenarios.

Done here, busy day, lots to do to get paid,

~SC~

OK, I guess I was being a bit of a smart-ass but that was AFTER you made fun of me.

Anyway this got silly a long time ago - all this fuss over apples!

I too am on my way, good day sir!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information