marlin444 is offline Associate Member

is "sugar alcohol" bad for no carb diet

hey im on the anabolic diet. 5 days a week no carbs, then 2 carb loading days. i ahve a question though - can i eat sugar free stuff? cause all the sugar free stuffi see has 1 gram of functional carbs, and then a ****load of sugar alcohol (?"unfunctional carbs"?). what are these?

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm kinda tired right now, but yes it is.

If I can recall correctly, I believe it has something to do with Glucogenesis. Not good for the muscles brotha'.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    That stuff is trash. Stay away. THere are a bunch of reasons, but most importantly, it rips apart your insides. Hell, I can't go out in public, I'll be ripping ass left and right after anything more than 5gs.

longhornDr is offline Member
    The sugar alcohols such as sorbitol are poorly absorbed from the GI tract and thus will have minimal impact on your diet. The problem with them is if you eat too much of it (for some a relatively small amount, 20-30 g) it acts as a laxative.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rambo
    That stuff is trash. Stay away. THere are a bunch of reasons, but most importantly, it rips apart your insides. Hell, I can't go out in public, I'll be ripping ass left and right after anything more than 5gs.
    Agree, MALTITOL IS HORRIBLE!!!!!!

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    The sugar alcohols such as sorbitol are poorly absorbed from the GI tract and thus will have minimal impact on your diet. The problem with them is if you eat too much of it (for some a relatively small amount, 20-30 g) it acts as a laxative.
    lololol well this explains ALOT!!!!!!!!!!! within 1 hour of eating a sugar free thing of chocolate, i had the SHIIIIITTTS soooooo bad. i thought it was from the anabolic diet undergoing a metabolic shift, but now it makes sense. lets say in sugar free gum though - do these count as carbs? i can only have 30 grams of carbs a day, so i dont want to waste them lol.
    Last edited by marlin444; 10-11-2004 at 06:04 AM.

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marlin444
    lololol well this explains ALOT!!!!!!!!!!! within 1 hour of eating a sugar free thing of chocolate, i had the SHIIIIITTTS soooooo bad. i thought it was from the anabolic diet undergoing a metabolic shift, but now it makes sense. lets say in sugar free gum though - do these count as carbs? i can only have 30 grams of carbs a day, so i dont want to waste them lol.

LOL...yea, sugar alcohols suck. I don't know how all these sugar-free products are selling so much. Is it really worth it to the people who buy them?? Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the couple grams in sugar free gum, so long as you're not eating a pack a day.

The only low or "no" carb candies that I will consume are called "SPLURGE".

No laxative effects, safe for children too, no sugar alcohols/gas/sh*ts/etc.

I'll never buy any sugar alcohol crap again.

~SC~

wired-up is offline Member
    after being around my brother in law busting ass all the time while he was on the atikins and eating all that sugar alcohol stuff, i'll never touch the stuff.

lol but do they count as carbs? i probibly eat about 10-20 grams of them a day, with no lax/gas effects. it was just one day when i ate my normal load of sugar alchohol along with this stupid atkins chocolate loaded with 35grams of them. noticable effects within 45 minutes lol. but the main concern is should i subtract those carbs from my 30grams of aloud carbs a day.

The "carbs" don't count, but the kcals from the sugar alcohols still do count, yup.

It's not like fiber which does not count at all.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    The "carbs" don't count, but the kcals from the sugar alcohols still do count, yup.

It's not like fiber which does not count at all.

~SC~

alright cool cause im bulking. its a weird thought trying to cut carbs and bulk at the same time..... i hope this **** works. thanks swole

Thread Information