xenithon is offline Member

Parboiled American Brown Rice

Hi All,

Trying to find some good brown rice. What I find mostly is what they call 'Parboiled American Brown Rice'. It looks quite whole (unprocessed) and from what I have researched I find the GI/GL to be quite low, around 47/17 (figure I see on a number of sites). I know it aint the instant kind, prep instructions are around 35-40 minutes. The exact rice can be viewed here:
    Parboiled Brown Rice

The ingredients are listed as 'Long Grain Brown Rice'.

This good to use? I am looking for a wholesome rice to add to my repetoire which is low GI. Currently my arsenal includes oats, yams, WW low GI pasta, kasha, basmati rice. I love the nuttiness of brown rice though so wanna find a suitable candidate.

Been looking around for just plain brown rice and everything I find has 'parboiled brown rice' on the ingredients listing. Even Brown and Wild rice mixtures! All of them say around 40 minutes to prepare so it def aint instant.

From what I have read, parboiling actually LOCKS IN nutrients as opposed to removing them. If anyone has any further info on whether these are ok to use (in terms of GI) please keep lemme know According to

X

pujols99 is offline New Member
    Been using Uncle Ben's for 3 moths and if u look at the nutrients it seems to get the job done. Plus it does seem to taste good.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    if it's long grain brown rice and that's it then you are golden.

xenithon is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    if it's long grain brown rice and that's it then you are golden.
    Thanks for the heads up I guess I was just worried with the term 'parboiled' from from what I have read this is very different from the 'precooked' varieties, which are instant (well, anywhere from 1 - 5 minutes), and thus have a very high GI and comparitively few nutrients. Mendosa sais parboiled brown rice has a 47/17 GI/GL which is even better than normal brown rice so I think it should suffice

Ciao,
    X

Thread Information