jimmyivory is offline Junior Member

bars vs. shakes - very quick question

I started eating bars (they're pretty high quality, I've done that bit of research) instead of shakes about once/day just to change things up but the more i read here it seems people use bars over shakes only if they have to (convenience). Is it an understood thing that shakes are better than bars? I thought I was doing myself a favor but I'd much rather have a shake any day. Just looking for "yeah bars suck" or "its best to get some of both..." kind of comments-

thanks,
    -ji

xenithon is offline Member
    Simply put...bars suck. Which bars are such 'high quality' that you refer to?

Look out for:
    -crap forms of protein
    -sugars
    -glycerin and other hidden carbs
    -hydrogenated oils
    -high fructose corn syrup

Only use them in dire situation IMO

LeanMeOut is offline Community Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    Simply put...bars suck. Which bars are such 'high quality' that you refer to?

Look out for:
    -crap forms of protein
    -sugars
    -glycerin and other hidden carbs
    -hydrogenated oils
    -high fructose corn syrup

Only use them in dire situation IMO

Yep.....I never use protein bars either. I mean most of the time you have to buy em in a gas station etc on the go......so why not just buy some low fat beef jerky and buy a little bag of almonds for a nice pro/fat meal? Either way like xenithon said most protein bars suck, and there are much better choices.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    What are these high quality researched bars you are consuming?

~SC~

xenithon is offline Member
    must be mesotech bars for sure

bigjohnr is offline Associate Member
    be careful with the candy oh I mean protein bars

fritz2435 is offline Member
    JUNK! Do a search to see more bar-bashing!

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    shakes are def. the better choice, but bars have there use, so I can't bash them too much. When traveling out of the country, in airports, hotels, it is a better choice than some fast food dump that sall I have to say..

jimmyivory is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for all the input. I did a search on bars vs shakes but couldn't find anything definitive. The bars I've used are optimum nutrition opti-pro meal (20g protein and you're right, it does say soy before whey), 25g sugar. Then I switched to optimum nutrition pro complex (35g protein, ingredients include in order calcium caseinate, whey protein isolate, soy protein) 32g sugar alcohol (uses splenda), and tastes pretty foul but I've gotten used to it. I like ON's products, esp. their pro complex shakes (55g in two scoops) even though they're kind of expensive. Maybe I'm a fool for buying into more expensive is better, but after drinking a pro complex shake I don't feel nearly as weighed down as I do from some others.
    It sounds like I'm wasting time and money on 'em compared to shakes so screw it. I'll eat the rest I have and be done with 'em.

-ji

yea too much sugar and fat! especially saturated fat.

Latimus is offline Banned
    expensive

angelxterminator is offline Senior Member
    all that sugar alcohol is nasty, if i'm gonna get the sh*ts from something i'd rather have it be a cheesy ass beef burrito than a nasty ON bar!

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyivory
    Thanks for all the input. I did a search on bars vs shakes but couldn't find anything definitive. The bars I've used are optimum nutrition opti-pro meal (20g protein and you're right, it does say soy before whey), 25g sugar. Then I switched to optimum nutrition pro complex (35g protein, ingredients include in order calcium caseinate, whey protein isolate, soy protein) 32g sugar alcohol (uses splenda), and tastes pretty foul but I've gotten used to it. I like ON's products, esp. their pro complex shakes (55g in two scoops) even though they're kind of expensive. Maybe I'm a fool for buying into more expensive is better, but after drinking a pro complex shake I don't feel nearly as weighed down as I do from some others.
    It sounds like I'm wasting time and money on 'em compared to shakes so screw it. I'll eat the rest I have and be done with 'em.

-ji
    Splenda is not a sugar alcohol, just an FYI.

~SC~

rambo is offline The Lord God
    You're right Swole. I believe that Splenda's ingredients list merely say "Nectar of the Gods". Because, yeah, it rocks that much.

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    You can make your own protein bars from whey...Store them in a zip lock bag, and keep them in your glove box...Also, if you need a quick snack, you can get sliced deli meat & almonds from a supermarket...

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    Shakes are cheaper too. I keep a couple protein bars in my car for those occassions when I'm stuck without a meal and need something real quick. But I rely on shakes.

Thread Information