BP85 is offline Junior Member

So I went to GNC yesterday

I went to GNC yesterday, and I asked the guy if he knew anything about tendonitis. He said no, but asked me why. I told him I was bulking, and was hitting the weights 6 days a week, 4 of them I would need my arms for and i have tendonitis in my elbow. Anyway, he wanted to sell me some stuff and started asking me what my diet was like. I told him that I was consuming between 260-350 grams/day, depending on if I was lifting or not. He said he was a bio major and said that the human body can only process 33.5g/3.5 hrs. Basically he was telling me that any person, noo matter the weight, would at most need only 250-300g/day. He said that the rest of the protein turns into blood glucose. I have heard before that too much protein will turn into blood glucose. Any input would be great.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    bump

longhornDr is offline Member
    He's right about protein being converted to glucose. Even in a positive nitrogen balance, the body needs only ~100 grams/day max to cover all the protein needs, the rest goes to glucose and or fat depending on carb intake.

3/4 of all protein that someone eating 2g/lb per day will go to glucose. That's one of the reasons why high protein/low carb diets work so well. The body has to get glucose from somewhere, so it converts the protein to carbs, which happens to be very expensive metabolically speaking.

Additionally, to get an optimal amino profile for maximum growth you are forced to consume an excessive amount of protein, a large part of which is not needed at all, but there is no easy way to get only the aminos you want without waste.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Protein assimilation differs greatly amongst everyone.

That's all I'm saying, this has been gone over like 1 zillion times.

~SC~

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Don't listen to any of the BS the GNC employees troy to give you.... I believe there was a thread a while back started by a former GNC employee explaining all of the BS they try to pull. Do a search on it!

fritz2435 is offline Member

Thread Information