Thread: Cheating

mcvays1 is offline Junior Member

Cheating

Excluding the bordum factor, is cheating really that important?

Hardball1783 is offline Associate Member
    No it is not but it is ok to cheat once just to swich up thing and don over do it. It should be only one of ur meals not all day long

Rumble1251 is offline Junior Member

once a week

once a week

Angelis is offline Banned
    What the hell you talking about... You have to cheat, your body is always trying to acheive a state of homeostasis so in order to not allow your body to conform to diet you must every once in a while have cheat meals and if you have a good enough Diet and exercise regiment you can cheat the whole day but dont over-do it!
    Last edited by Angelis; 10-21-2004 at 08:43 PM.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If one is truly dieting the correct way, one would need an influx of kcals periodically to keep leptin levels optimal, t3/t4 conversion active, and metabolism humming along.

~SC~

xenithon is offline Member
    I agree that one CAN cheat without putting too much dent in your objectives. However I always ask, do you HAVE to cheat, or more specifically, do you have to cheat with JUNK food? Swole - as you mentioned "one would need an influx of kcals periodically to keep leptin levels optimal" which I agree with 100%, but from what I have researched is it true that it has purely to do with actual cals ingested?

Building onto that, 3 questions which are continually bugging me :
    1. Do healthy cheats count, for example having a meal of healthy food you really enjoy but having double or more cals than usual in that meal (as opposed to the same amount of cals from garbage like donuts and pizza and burger etc )
    2. Does it have to be an influx of cals overall for the day (ie. eat a lot over normaly intake for the day) or does one huge meal suffice to boost leptin?
    3. Does it have to be a high carb and cal meal/day or can it be a high cal day/meal. In other words, is the intake of CARBS related to boosts in leptin (so a 500g grilled buffallo/ostrich steak which is very high in cals but not carbs will NOT boost letpin?)

Much appreciated,
    X

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    I think that one of the benefits of cheating with carbs is that if muscle glycogen levels are dwindling a big influx of carbs will top them right up.
    I try to only consume carbs for breakfast and PWO six days a week then my cheat day just consists of adding carbs to all meals except the last two. I'm sure there are better ways to do it but this seems to work for me.

Once again though the question begs - is it enough to simply have more carbs than usual, or do you need to get an overall caloric intake far above a normal day in order for the leptin to be boosted?

Sorry bro, don't know.

Swole will answer that for you I'm sure.

Carbs are what speed the metabolism, yes. Usually cheats have tons of carbs (even when they are coupled with fats).

This is why some choose to do a "clean" carb up.

~SC~

Cool, thanks for the info. But just one more thing to clear up - I know now that carbs are needed, but do you need a carbup DAY or is a large carbup MEAL sufficient? Also, does the total caloric intake for the day need to be above normal is just he total carb intake?

Thanks once again,
    X

To be safe, on the cheat day I'd go over the daily Kcal normal when dieting (usually 500-1000kcals), and utilize carbs during this time (in one or more meals) to speed the metabolism. One all out cheat meal is usually okay, but if you are using carbs as the influx of kcals for this day, spread them out.

~SC~

Thanks once again,

Since I am maintaining now, eating about maintenance calories daily, I am not restricting cals to under maintenance. However I do get in fewer carbs than most. Am I correct in thinking that since I am not in a caloric deficit my leptin levels will not be that low (even though carbs are low, cals are not). If that is the case I may opt for the cheat meal being high in cals and carbs, rather than a complete day.

Around 2-3 months ago I was doing a carbup day which involved having both substantially increased carbs as well as well over maintenance cals, and this was detrimental, so I gave it up. I want to thus try the single, large, healthy cheat meal now (a happy medium between full day cheat and no cheat at all )

Thanks and Ciao,
    X

PS Anyone have any links to research about leptin which shows its relationship to caloric intake, carb intake, leptin levels @, under and over maintenance cals etc. as I have not found any (thus the many questions)

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    I don't think cheating is necessary if you're not starving yourself during the week. If you're eating so few calories that you risk greatly slowing your metabolism (but why would you do this?), then yeah, a cheat meal a week is probably a good idea...but otherwise, I think it should be optional. Of course, changing up your diet here and there so your body doesn't get too accustomed to what you're eating is always smart, but I don't think an all-out cheat meal has to be mandatory.

Hiya,

Yeah I agree. That's one reason I ditched the junkfood cheat meal (had it for 2 weeks only - made me feel nothing but guilty and sick afterward ). As you mentioned, my reasoning is really about changing up the diet. During the week I get in fewer carbs than most (around 150g on training days, about 50g non training days. I am at around 160lbs now maintaining) so the cheat would consist really of upping carbs rather than eating junk or eating more cals than usual. That's also why I was thinking of a healthy cheat meal rather than day, of lets say a huge bowl of WW pasta with ultra lean bolognese; or 2 huge protein pancakes (which I really enjoy). The point being that it remains healthy but I am not restricted in terms of amounts as I am during the week.

X

Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    Hiya,

Yeah I agree. That's one reason I ditched the junkfood cheat meal (had it for 2 weeks only - made me feel nothing but guilty and sick afterward ). As you mentioned, my reasoning is really about changing up the diet. During the week I get in fewer carbs than most (around 150g on training days, about 50g non training days. I am at around 160lbs now maintaining) so the cheat would consist really of upping carbs rather than eating junk or eating more cals than usual. That's also why I was thinking of a healthy cheat meal rather than day, of lets say a huge bowl of WW pasta with ultra lean bolognese; or 2 huge protein pancakes (which I really enjoy). The point being that it remains healthy but I am not restricted in terms of amounts as I am during the week.

X
    Yeah, thats the way I 'cheat'. No one said you have to have a 16" pizza dripping with fat! If you are really strict with your diet then just a bowl of cereal can seem like a treat.

Kim2884 is offline Female Member
    That sounds like a great plan...cheating on junk tends to make me sick and guilty as well. I find that just not being as strict with calorie-counting and whatnot on the weekend is just as nice.

lemme tell you, dieting or not, few things touch a pancake made with oats, egg whites, sweetener and tons of Davinci syrup! I can polish off 3-400g worth of oats easily

The Dynasty is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    lemme tell you, dieting or not, few things touch a pancake made with oats, egg whites, sweetener and tons of Davinci syrup! I can polish off 3-400g worth of oats easily
    Speaking of pancakes, I don't even make homemade pancakes anymore. Check out this atkins pancake mix. It's perfect for someone watching their diet. Makes GREAT protein pancakes.

http://atkins.com/shop/products/Panc...affle_Mix.html

Just click on the link to "Pancake & Waffle Mix" (not "Deluxe Buttermilk Pancake & Waffle Mix) to get the nutritional info.

Hi Again,

Swole, got just one more question with regards to the topic: if someone is not in a caloric deficit (eating maintenance level) but carbs are comparatively low, will leptin levels still be low? Is a high cal day needed? Or rather, or high-carb days needed (a day where maintenance levels are still taken in, ie. not higher than usual, but coming mainly from carbs).

Thanks,
    X

calidude is offline Senior Member
    So when having a cheat day, it should be the whole day vs one huge meal? On my cheat days I usually only have one bad meal.

Depends on what type of cheat. Some people opt for one junkfood cheat meal once a week. I am referring to a healthy cheat - very high in cals and possibly very high in carbs too, but from healthy foods. I am still not sure though whether they are needed to boost leptin level/t3 production if you are not in a caloric deficit during the week. Still hoping for an answer (can't find it in any research on the net or on paper)

X

kman is offline Anabolic Member
    Listen to your body!!!!!!If you have been eating healthy for awhile and feel the need to cheat then go for it, I sometimes go along time without any sort of junk food 3-4 months, then I will all of a sudden want some type of cheat meal, so I go for it. When people ask me why are you dieting, I simply tell them I am not, I am just eating healthy. After having a healthly lifestlye for awhile, it sort of comes a custom to you...

I agree - I follow a healthy eating plan through and through. Cheating for me is having a huge but healthy meal. However since cheating/carbing up/eating high calorie is linked to leptin levels I am trying to ascertain if it should be done to boost leptin/t3 etc. even if not eating under maintenance during the week (as thrdr are the conditions for supression of leptin production I believe).

Jay Man is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kman
    Listen to your body!!!!!!If you have been eating healthy for awhile and feel the need to cheat then go for it, I sometimes go along time without any sort of junk food 3-4 months, then I will all of a sudden want some type of cheat meal, so I go for it. When people ask me why are you dieting, I simply tell them I am not, I am just eating healthy. After having a healthly lifestlye for awhile, it sort of comes a custom to you...
    I like that Kman, that is a good philosophy. I eat healthy all the time, more as a way of life than a "diet". So when the craving hits I indulge but within reason. I do not set aside a specific day to cheat. Just goin with the flow.

Thread Information