NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy

What if your cardio can't be done first thing?

I know that am cardio on an empty stomach is the way to go and that is what I do, I run outside 3 or 4 mornings a week. However, the weather here has been real sh1tty of late, no biggie on weekdays I just hit the gym and use a treadmill but on weekends the gym doesn't open till 10am.
    My question is: given that I obviously don't want to leave my first meal of the day till 11am, what are my best options for breakfast? I was thinking just a 50g whey shake at 8am, what do you guys think?

Thanks guys,

NotSmall.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd have a fat/protein meal about 2.5 hours before the cardio session. May wish to pop some ala, eca, alcar, (or any self-made fat burning stack) about 15-20 mins before your cardio to help get into the "zone" quicker. If your goal is FAT loss though, stop running.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    I'd have a fat/protein meal about 2.5 hours before the cardio session. May wish to pop some ala, eca, alcar, (or any self-made fat burning stack) about 15-20 mins before your cardio to help get into the "zone" quicker. If your goal is FAT loss though, stop running.

~SC~
    Hey thanks Swole!

Yeah I always use ECA before cardio, don't think I could face it otherwise!

I'm probably showing my ignorance here but why not running for fat loss? - it seems to be working, What would be a better option?

Thanks again bro,

NotSmall.

Running is usually indicative of having a heart-rate above and beyond the fat burning zone, thus you burn muscle glycogen and muscle as the activity is too intense for the body to break down fat into fatty acids to be burned for the activity. So, instead of using this fat for fuel, it uses a more easily obtainable source of fuel, that being sugar (glucose) and your lean mass once that's gone.

~SC~

Running is usually indicative of having a heart-rate above and beyond the fat burning zone, thus you burn muscle glycogen and muscle as the activity is too intense for the body to break down fat into fatty acids to be burned for the activity. So, instead of using this fat for fuel, it uses a more easily obtainable source of fuel, that being sugar (glucose) and your lean mass once that's gone.

~SC~
    Yeah, I see what you mean, shame cos I was just starting to enjoy it & my girlie has been coming out with me at weekends.
    Never mind, it looks like its the "homo-gay eliptical trainer" for me from now on!

Thanks again bro!

NotSmall.

LMFAO!!!!!!!

You'll like the results much better! (65-75% MHR for 40-45 mins)

~SC~

I'll give it a go,

thanks Swole,

NotSmall.

bmwrob is offline Member
    Hey Swole...... Would walking on the treadmill at a high incline be OK just as long as I keep it between 65-75% of MHR? When I don't have it on an incline I can't really feel anything. I can definatly tell the difference between the treadmill and the elipticals because I don't get a burn in my legs on the treadmill. Because of that burn I can only do about 15-20 minutes on the elipticals so that's why I stick to the mills. Any help would be great.

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger
    It makes no difference what you are doing, just make sure you remain in your target HR the whole time, i don't care if you are walking...

HR is the key!

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    You should buy a heart rate monitor...They have the watch style shipped for $20 off ebay. That's what I have and the readings are pretty close to the cardio machine's readings hr monitor...

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrob
    Hey Swole...... Would walking on the treadmill at a high incline be OK just as long as I keep it between 65-75% of MHR? When I don't have it on an incline I can't really feel anything. I can definatly tell the difference between the treadmill and the elipticals because I don't get a burn in my legs on the treadmill. Because of that burn I can only do about 15-20 minutes on the elipticals so that's why I stick to the mills. Any help would be great.
    Yes, that is totally fine.

~SC~

jmillerdls is offline Junior Member
    LMFAO!!!!!!!

You'll like the results much better! (65-75% MHR for 40-45 mins)

~SC~
    ive read this as well...but how i understood it, you burn more of your calories from fat (i.e. a higher percentage) when in your target heart rate than you do while above it...however, you will be burning many more calories while running, even if it is a less percentage, you will be burning very close to the same amount.

I know there are specific percentages, but I do not know them, so ill just make up an example

while walking, 50% of your calories burned are fat calories
    so, you burn 600 calories an hour, and 300 of those are from fat

while running, you only burn 25% fat calories
    so, you burn 1000 (which is quite a bit less than what I actually burn an hour running) an hour, and 250 of those are from fat

Now, these numbers are hypothetical, but If I understood it correctly, this was approximately how it works...I enjoy running, even though it is tougher, I still feel like I can get similar results to those walking..even if I have to eat a bit more to make up for the extra calorie burn.

Quote Originally Posted by jmillerdls
    while running, you only burn 25% fat calories
    so, you burn 1000 (which is quite a bit less than what I actually burn an hour running) an hour, and 250 of those are from fat.
    The question is where are the other 750 calories coming from? - muscle tissue, this was the point Swole was making.

Quote Originally Posted by NotSmall
    The question is where are the other 750 calories coming from? - muscle tissue, this was the point Swole was making.
    But doesnt eating extra calories to make up for the extra calorie burn just negate this? or no?

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    just wanted to chime in and say that i have yet to do an AM cardio session for the last 12 weeks (contest prepping) and have managed to get down to my current form (3% fat) without muscle loss. i dont feel as though AM empty cardio is totally necessary, but this is just my personal opinion.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsd67
    just wanted to chime in and say that i have yet to do an AM cardio session for the last 12 weeks (contest prepping) and have managed to get down to my current form (3% fat) without muscle loss. i dont feel as though AM empty cardio is totally necessary, but this is just my personal opinion.
    MUST BE NICE YOU SOB!!!

dcb

But doesnt eating extra calories to make up for the extra calorie burn just negate this? or no?
    No, because if you are burning off muscle tissue, there is no guaranteeing that what you eat is going to "build that back up". What you eat to "make up" for it is not going to replace the muscle that is already gone, no. Better to be pro-active and avoid the activity in the first place that will yield lean mass to be burned, instead of trying to find ways to "make up" for it.

~SC~

That's great, and I remember you saying this before. I too can do cardio at other times and get lean, however you and I are already in far better shape than many who are "trying" to get lean, and we have out diets down, etc. A.M. cardio is like "cardio for dummies" in the sense that it'll yield almost guaranteed results if the diet relatively decent and the activity is constant.

I say "dummies" not to insult newbies to cardio, but to classify it as a "no brainer" form of exercise to progress.

~SC~

No, because if you are burning off muscle tissue, there is no guaranteeing that what you eat is going to "build that back up". What you eat to "make up" for it is not going to replace the muscle that is already gone, no. Better to be pro-active and avoid the activity in the first place that will yield lean mass to be burned, instead of trying to find ways to "make up" for it.

~SC~
    well then...****, im going to have to change this when i start to bulk again...really hate that though, I love running.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    That's great, and I remember you saying this before. I too can do cardio at other times and get lean, however you and I are already in far better shape than many who are "trying" to get lean, and we have out diets down, etc. A.M. cardio is like "cardio for dummies" in the sense that it'll yield almost guaranteed results if the diet relatively decent and the activity is constant.

I say "dummies" not to insult newbies to cardio, but to classify it as a "no brainer" form of exercise to progress.

~SC~
    ah yes i see what you are saying...and i will admit, when i first started general cutting i was on the AM cardio fix for a good 2 months...plus i also haven't cheated much at all for 3 months (mmmm pancakes on saturday )

well then...****, im going to have to change this when i start to bulk again...really hate that though, I love running.
    Well lets not be too hasty, what Swole says is true but his real objection to running is that generally running pushes HR too high but I'm thinking if I get myself a HR monitor and make sure I jog at a steady pace and don't exceed 75% of my max HR that should work fine.
    Sound OK Swole?

If you see the need to pound the pavement daily with your ankles/knees/lower back, etc., then run Forrest run.

What bb'ers do you see RUNNING, ever?

Try it, see what happens.

~SC~

Panzerfaust is offline Ron Paul Nuthugger

Well God**** bro, if we were all genetically gifted as you are we would not have to do AM cardio either.

I was gonna say the same as Swole, you guys are in such good shape and lean that you require little to no cardio whereas the "rest" of us slugs NEED it.

If you see the need to pound the pavement daily with your ankles/knees/lower back, etc., then run Forrest run.

What bb'ers do you see RUNNING, ever?

Try it, see what happens.

~SC~
    But mama said that they were magic shoes, she said they would take me anywhere.

Thread Information