TheChosenOne is offline Anabolic Member

Recommend a good tasting red wine??

So I bought some red wine to try tonight because of its obvious health benefits and to try and expell a tad bit of extra water on SC's 7 day diet. The bad part was I bought some fairly cheap Cabernet and it tastes like hell. Now I must admit that I'm not a wine drinker by any means. Hell I probably havent had 5 full glasses of wine in my day so I dont know a good one from a bad one, however, someone has to have a good suggestion as to a red wine that I could drink regularly and enjoy the taste of rather than just the health benefits from while suffering through the awful taste.

Swellin Guest
    Well, you might start with something alittle less bold than a cab. They can be a bit too strong for most. Go with a light, fruity merlot...stay away from the dry stuff for now.

I hate the overly dry stuff myself....I prefer fruity reds. Here is a pretty decent one that I enjoyed this weekend...Rutherford Hills.

***This is not to say that I am a wine guy, I just like a good red with my steak. ***

JdFlex is offline Senior Member
    I'd go with a merlot. Mondavi is pretty good IMO.

cb25 is offline Banned
    If you can, go to a wine store - some place where they have someone on hand that can recommend a good one for you. They can usually find one that tastes good but won't break the bank.

A couple i've enjoyed....

Rancho Zabaco Zinfandel (red - not the white)
    Villavieja Sangiovese

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I'm a Shiraz fan myself, especially w/ red meat. I'm pretty easy to please...Barefoot and Lizard are my two favs...

JKali is offline Female Member
    I like a Merlot at restaurants, but a quick, tasty and easy on the wallet wine is definitely the Shiraz. The one with the hopping kangaroo (I can't remember the name), but you can't miss the bright label.

longhornDr is offline Member
    Why not just drink beer if you're really not into wine and are just doing it for the health benefits.

Numerous studies have established that the type of alcoholic beverage makes no difference.

fritz2435 is offline Member
    screw beer and wine, go straight for the hard liquor!

<---That's a fifth of SoCo he's chuggin!

Quote Originally Posted by longhornDr
    Why not just drink beer if you're really not into wine and are just doing it for the health benefits.

Numerous studies have established that the type of alcoholic beverage makes no difference.
    Actually I just saw a study yesterday indicating that white wine actually has a slight inverse effect of the anti-oxidant health benefits of Red wine. I work at a CBS affiliate and it was the subject of our national Health Watch package too.
    I know a ton of old f*ckers that swear up and down about drinking a glass of red wine daily. Yeah Yeah I know it may be their superstition, but there are too many studies and personal narratives that indicate the positive effects of Red Wine. Hell those old people are the same ones that advocate eating fish on a regular basis too, and wee have seen the health effects of fish. I will try a Merlot and see how that treats me.

Found it:
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medi...p?newsid=15552

Here is some more I digged up on the differences between beer and wine.

"Neither beer nor spirits appears to affect the cancer, and the wine cannot be a rose or blush. Red wine is said to protect against conditions from colds to heart disease, and the authors suggest the anti-cancer effect is due to antioxidants in tannins and resveratrol, a chemical that slows tumor growth."

"Red wine contains tannins and resveratrol, substances which he said could explain the drink's anti-cancer properties. Tannins act as antioxidants and mop up free radicals, which are particles that harm cells. Resveratrol is known to fight cancer tumor growth.

Consumption of red wine...was associated with a slight but statistically significant reduction in the development of lung cancer, the most common and deadly form of the disease"

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with what other people have posted. Shiraz or Merlot. Look for Australian wine! They make good freaking wine, and it's reasonably cheap.

I'm not saying that red wine doesn't have protective effects, it's just been proven in clinical trials and retrospective studies that red wine offers no benefits over any other form of alcoholic beverage

The cardiovascular benefits of wine or any other alcoholic beverage are from ethanol itself. You'd be hard-pressed to come up with proof that the "anti-oxidant" effects of wine offer special benefit compared to any of the multitude of non-alcholic sources of anti-oxidants.

JKali is offline Female Member
    I'm not saying that red wine doesn't have protective effects, it's just been proven in clinical trials and retrospective studies that red wine offers no benefits over any other form of alcoholic beverage

The cardiovascular benefits of wine or any other alcoholic beverage are from ethanol itself. You'd be hard-pressed to come up with proof that the "anti-oxidant" effects of wine offer special benefit compared to any of the multitude of non-alcholic sources of anti-oxidants.
    I'm not a wine expert, but wouldn't you bet getting a lot of other negatives from substances like beer and hard liquor (though I enjoy both) that you wouldn't get in just one glass of red wine?

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Zinfindel... not white zin, Peno nior, Cab, shiraz, Reisling, Merlot... I love em all. I just put a small celler in my basement. I look for the wines in the 8-12.00 range. The're are tons of cheap wines that are really good. California and australia are always good. I have a great Merlot from Crane Lake winery. 3.99/ bottle. Ravenswood Zin, Canyon Road cab... give those a try bro

diesel21 is offline Member
    prosecco

ot009 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKali
    I like a Merlot at restaurants, but a quick, tasty and easy on the wallet wine is definitely the Shiraz. The one with the hopping kangaroo (I can't remember the name), but you can't miss the bright label.
    i think you are talking about Yellow Tail. pretty good i just bought a bottle last night! i like pretty much all of their wines.

Quote Originally Posted by JKali
    I'm not a wine expert, but wouldn't you bet getting a lot of other negatives from substances like beer and hard liquor (though I enjoy both) that you wouldn't get in just one glass of red wine?
    What negatives are you refering to? I dont remember the exact numbers but I'm pretty sure a glass of wine has a good amount of sugar and thus more calories making it a poorer choice from a dieting perspective when compared to beer or liquor.

ColdSore is offline Banned
    i like about all texas red wines if you can get em where you are at...other than that my dad loves some **** called genavine(sp???)...or something like that...he buys it buy the half gallons and it will last him a good week or 2...

ttuPrincess Guest
    St genavive... its a texas wine... YUCK!

ColdSore is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ttuPrincess
    St genavive... its a texas wine... YUCK!
    guess i was already drunk when i tried it

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Rosemount Estates Shiraz
    Rosemount Estates Pino Noir (this is a lighter red)
    Yellow Tail is a good cheap brand also, dunno where its from though. Rosemount Estates is from Australia.

GREENMACHINE is offline Are you green enough?
    Windom estate shiraz.

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Try this if you can find it...

Better then alot of red wines I've had that cost 5x as much...

Martin Ray Angeline California Merlot

2000 is a very good year should run around $10-$15 bottle

Trust Buff on this one...

All I did as a sales rep was spend my expense account on
    fine dining, drinking, buying lots of wine on the company
    and strip clubs...

ducati996 is offline Associate Member
    I make my own.... But any Italian wine will do just fine.

tycin is offline Anabolic Member
    i just got a couple new ones in my liquor store that r really good:

little penguin cabernet sauv
    inniskillin cab sauv
    masi

Thread Information