StephenL is offline New Member

diet and cardio inquiry

Hi, new to this forum, obviously. I guess I'll cut to the chase.

I'm 23 years old, 6 feet tall, 216 pounds. I have a 34 waist, and large "lovehandles" and an ever-growing gut. I used to could "hide" my pudge,...but not I can't.

I generally eat whatever I want. I have a desk job (civil engineer), so I generally wake up about 7 a.m. and I'm at work by 8 a.m. Generally there is no time for breakfast. For lunch I typically eat fast food, or sit down mexican restaurants every day . I've still got the mentality I did in highschool,...eat whatever I want, don't gain a pound. Well, that has caught up to me,...and I obviously cannot do that anymore. For dinner, I generally eat carefree, drink cokes throughout the day, and usually eat snacks before I go to bed. I know, it's bad....please bear with me.

Working an 8-5 job leaves me little time during the day to plan meals and workouts, which is why I generally eat things that are fast. By the end of the day, I'm exhausted from working (and I sit on my ass all day!) and have no motivation to workout,...only to eat, watch tv, and go to bed.

I'm looking for some sort of plan or advice or guideline to get me started on losing some weight (I'd like to get down to 180 lbs.), not feeling tired all the time, and while I'm at it I'd like to try to get "cut". I'm not looking for anything impressive,...just a sleek look...I don't need to be ripped or have huge body mass.

What I need is someone to give me a good diet I can follow for a week, and go from there. Also, some examples of some cardio I can do, and for how long.

I've searched/read on this forum and I read that I should start slowly. Start eating clean, and slowly ween myself from eating fast food...giving my body time to adjust. I saw that someone posted that "cheating" about 4 days a week, then 3 days a week, then 2, then 1, then going on the strict diet will help me.

Also,...I've read that I should do cardio 30-45 minutes per day at my target heart rate. I've got a great neighborhood to run around,...so I might try that.

As far as my metabollism goes,...I am able to lose weight very easily if I start cutting back. About 2 months ago I got it in my head that I was going to lose weight. Well, that lasted about 2 weeks, but I did lose about 10 lbs without working out, and only cutting back on the type and amount of food I ate. So there is hope!

I appreciate any and every comment I get,...

Cheers,
    Stephen

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    I'd begin with the cutting sticky above, and utilize as many of those principles as you can. Planning and desire are everything. Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same, so only you know how much that is.

~SC~

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    I've been doing cutting for a little over a month and also work a 8-5 and have the same problem with meals...First and foremost, READ THE CUTTING STICKY as SwoleCat suggested...

To help out a little bit, join a gym if you haven't already, and do cardio for 45-60mins before you go to work on an empty stomach...Cardio's 5-7 days a week...you'll obviously see the fastest fat burning results if you can go 7 days a week. You will then have to lift after work and on weekends...To possibly make things easier, look into joining a gym near your work. You leave really early in the morning it will be lighter traffic and also easy to stop off and lift at on your way home...

For meals, I have in a tub of Whey protein, dextrose, WHOLE UNsalted almonds, a bottle of flax seed oil, and oatmeal at my desk. I have a fridge and am able to keep cooked chicken breasts and sliced deli turkey. Hope that helps...

Thread Information