clockworks is offline Anabolic Member

What kind of brown rice?

I got Uncle Ben's Brown Rice. Is that ok? The reason why I ask is because some wheat breads are still made with bleached white flour and you have to be very careful to get all natural whole wheat. Is that the same with brown rice or is all brown rice created equal?

The ingredient listed is "long grain parboiled brown rice". I'm eating it now and its not very brown, just slightly brown. And it doesn't taste that much different than white rice. I kind of feel like I've been duped.

Also, is wild rice good for you (i.e. low GI carb)?

Thanks for the info.

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    According to the GI rating, wild rice has a 57 index while brown rice has 55...I don't know for sure, but I think something gets removed during the parboiling process, which in turn lowers the GI rating...Don't know if that's a good thing or not...Someone else care to chime in?

xenithon is offline Member
    I was actually researching it a while back. What I found is that, according to many (all) GI lists I looked at, parboiled brown rice is one of the best you can get out of any. If I remember correctly its GI/GL rating is 47/17 which is very good, even lower than brown rice. On the contrary to removing something, I also found that parboiling actually LOCKS IN nutrients thus making it healthier than regular rice. The parboiling is to actually lock in goodness and mustn't be mistaken for precooked/instant rice. That is why parboiled rice often still requires 30-40 minutes cooking.

X

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    I was actually researching it a while back. What I found is that, according to many (all) GI lists I looked at, parboiled brown rice is one of the best you can get out of any. If I remember correctly its GI/GL rating is 47/17 which is very good, even lower than brown rice. On the contrary to removing something, I also found that parboiling actually LOCKS IN nutrients thus making it healthier than regular rice. The parboiling is to actually lock in goodness and mustn't be mistaken for precooked/instant rice. That is why parboiled rice often still requires 30-40 minutes cooking.

X
    Wow, thanks for the clearing that up. It did in fact take 30 mins to cook in the microwave.

OT: I made it with half chicken broth and half water...tastes pretty good plain.

Thread Information