mitch911 is offline Member

Protein gram counting in diet

When counting protein in your diet for bulking. Do u count the grams of protein in foods other than meats and whey protein shakes, like oatmeal. 1 cup of oatmeal has 19 g of protein..shoul i be including these 19 grams in my total protein for the day or should i not count it?

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't....I just think of those as "extra's"...of course, if you are dieting down for a contest, you need to account for EVERY gram of EVERYTHING that goes into your body. I guess it all just depends on what your goals are.

fritz2435 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch911
    When counting protein in your diet for bulking. Do u count the grams of protein in foods other than meats and whey protein shakes, like oatmeal. 1 cup of oatmeal has 19 g of protein..shoul i be including these 19 grams in my total protein for the day or should i not count it?
    19g protein in oats? one cup COOKED only has 8g.... You must be eating a LOT of oats!

jmillerdls is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fritz2435
    19g protein in oats? one cup COOKED only has 8g.... You must be eating a LOT of oats!
    was thinking the same thing...with eyes wide

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Oats do not have 19 grams of protein per cup.

~SC~

xenithon is offline Member
    I personally wouldn't count them toward the protein total, especially if you are trying to hit a target protein intake for the day (as many are incomplete). However, I always count the calories they contain (which are of course already part of the calorie count for a particular food anyway, for example oats is 389 cals/100g). That is also one of the reasons I think caloric total is the key, far more important than macronutrient breakdown/ratio.

X

Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    That is also one of the reasons I think caloric total is the key, far more important than macronutrient breakdown/ratio.

X
    Well, actually I've been very successful in working backwards in dietary planning, utilizing macros first, not focusing on overall KCALS. To each his own however, of course as always to be politically correct, but my "why I don't count calories" article in my VX Library can better explain this. I believe my expertise in working only w/macros and starting at square root 1 in regards to simplistic dietary categories in dietary planning for people is the reason behind the success rate and notoriety that I receive today.

Again, we each have our own ways and outlooks, so that's a given.
    ~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 11-04-2004 at 08:17 AM.

Respectful disagreement from me Kcals not important is in direct contradiction of "at the end of the day it's cals in vs cals out" however that is more applicable to those cutting/losing weight. Will take a look at the article though, perhaps it will change my ways

Ciao,
    X

Indeed, it's never as simple as KCALS in KCALS out.

Not if you are interested in what your lean mass to fat ratio is and what you look like. That is where people screw the pooch.

I could eat only 2000 kcals per day, but if they are pure sh*t kcals, do u think I am going to lose fat? Gain muscle? Like the way I look just because my KCALS are lower than maintenance? I'd be losing "weight", not fat, and that's not the goal of those who I work with.

~SC~

Oh for sure, there we are in agreement. Hence why I said "far more important than macronutrient breakdown/ratio." instead of "of sole importance. I guess my statement is under the assumption that decent quality foods are being eaten, and not any old food eaten simply to attain a predetermined empirical value for kcal input.

If I may ask - if you follow the bottom-up strategy (starting with macros) what to do use as a reference to base the macro totals on? I assume factors like bodyweight, age, sex, bf %, goals etc. Also, do you alter the macros if you find them incompatible with goals or remedy it with activity? For example: if you workout macros and after summing values up you get to 2500 cals/day. But the person needs around 2500 to maintain and their goal is to lose weight. Would you tweak the macros or totals themselves or add additional training/cardio to compensate?

Ciao
    X

Sometimes a mix of both to compensate, but usually the activity is the first constant to stay, and if it's neccessary later, activity can change but it's always best to adjust from FUEL first. (one can get ripped w/no cardio and a sound diet, but not a sh*tty diet without cardio, or even with for that matter)

As far as how I know what to "prescribe" in my working directly w/macros, I've a spreadsheet formula that I created many years back, that has been constantly tuned for maximum results in all weight/bodyfat categories. The VX forumulas exist for all three programs I have, so all I have to do is plug/play/etc., and it's spot on from the get go 3/4 of the time, with the other 1/4 only needing minor tweaking due to hyper metabolisms, slower ones, each person's daily routine and real life needs/devotions, etc.

Total KCALS were used as a reference initially years ago when I made my spreadsheeets, yes, but my point is that I've found that one who eats 2500 on a certain macro breakdown CAN'T lose FAT, while that same person on 2500 KCALS with entirely DIFFERENT macro breakdowns, shed fat like there's no tomorrow.

So, in those 4 years of constant analyzing and feedback/data from clients, I no longer work with total KCALS. I've come to be schooled in the amounts and ratios that each person at a set weight/bodyfat/etc. should at least "begin" with to see results. Then, through our coaching/interacting together through the person's journey, we can adjust as we go along as we find out the true individual characteristics of each person as the dieting continues to progress. Some people may begin at the same location with activity and macros the same (in the event two people were identical body/genetic wise), but later on down the road, those differences in the actual gentics and capabilities, dictate what changes I then make to the macros for case A, case B, etc. It's pretty much benefitial by way of experience and 'having seen it before", so I know where to adjust, why, how much, what macro percentages should now be utlized based on that feedback data, etc.
    This is why communication and weekly check-ins with me are highly encouraged, as keeping those lines open always yield the most success.

In the event there are any more questions about how I do things, u can hit me up in e-mail. I usually stick to just general advice here on the forums, and not really conversation of my business. I've my own site for that, and out of respect for A.R., I'd like to give them this courtesy.

Thanks,
    ~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 11-04-2004 at 09:55 AM.

mitch911 is offline Member
    i was getting the protein in oats from fitday, and i made the mistake by saying it was 19g in 1 cup. That was 19 is 1 and half cups.

Amount Per 1 cup
    Calories 311.04
    Calories from Fat 45.93
    Total Fat 5.1g 8%
    Saturated Fat 0.899g 4%
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1.86g
    Monounsaturated Fat 1.6g
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 3.24mg 0%
    Potassium 283.5mg 8%
    Total Carbohydrate 54.27g 18%
    Dietary Fiber 8.59g 34%
    Protein 12.96g 26%
    so should i be counting this protein, seeing how i need 340g a day? or should this 340g come from lean meat sources and whey protein shakes?

Thread Information