BP85 is offline Junior Member

Attn: all personal trainers

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I'm sure many personal trainers frequent this forum. Anyway, how many of you have degrees in kinesiology (sp?)? I wanted to go to school for it. The only problem is that the college Im at doesnt offer it. When I transfer to a four year university, i'd be able to switch, but then my previous two years would have been a waste of time! Essentially, I'd like to train young athletes, turn 8th graders into LeBron James. I've actually been wanting to be a personal trainer since high school. I've been thinking about taking the courses with Parillo. they have weekend seminars to get certified. I know a lot of people use the "Parillo Approach" at the gym I work out at, and say that its the best thing for any athlete. Would these seminars be worth it? I guess what I'm really wondering is what it takes to become a personal trainer? What typ, and how much, if any, education is actually needed?

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    to be a PT it is a 3 day course. make sure you get a good certification like ISSA. they go for about 5-600 bucks. check with local colleges, they will often offer the 3 days course once a semister.

dcb

Nate_Dog is offline Member
    I think short PT courses are crap. You need time to understand movement plains etc. This is what makes an effective trainer. Someone that mixes a lot personal experience (true and tried training) with a superior understanding of anatomy, and science.

You cant learn anatomy and movement plains in 4 days.

My 5 cents.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate_Dog
    I think short PT courses are crap. You need time to understand movement plains etc. This is what makes an effective trainer. Someone that mixes a lot personal experience (true and tried training) with a superior understanding of anatomy, and science.

You cant learn anatomy and movement plains in 4 days.

My 5 cents.
    i def agree bro. hell you could even go into like a coaching minor for a couple semisters and you get bio and chem classes and kinesiology. .all good tools.

dcb

kaizentraining is offline New Member
    what you can learn in 3 days, you can easily forget in the next 3
    as stated a good few years background in training is key to make a good PT IMO

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    As a Trainer i became certified through NASM. You want to find a cert. that is well recognized and accreditted (spelling). I agree that personal experience will go very far, I know some academic types that get too technical for most people and wind up spending the training hour explaining how and why someone is doing a workout instead of actually working them out.

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    The college you’re at now has to offer some kind of human anatomy, physiology courses, take some of those. If you know what college you are going to transfer to talk to the department head and see if you can’t get some of the basic requirements that will transfer taken care of.

It’s also a good idea to seek out a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you are doing and see if you can’t use that person to mentor you. It’s also good to become a certified athletic coach. It will help if you want to train young athletes. Usually a level 2 will work. Level 5 is pro. Be sure to check out the National Strength & Conditioning Association. They have a Certified Strength & Conditioning Coach certification; you’ll need a degree for it. Check out the USA weight lifting association as well, they have a they have various certifications for training athletes.

If you’re looking at just personal training, look at NSCA-CPT, ACE, NASM, and ACSM. ACSM requires a degree too. All major clubs accept these certifications. Being certified is just the beginning. Good luck.

http://www.acefitness.org/default.aspx
    http://www.nsca-cc.org/
    http://www.nasm.org/
    http://www.acsm.org/
    http://www.msbn.tv/usavision/displayPage.aspx?id=341 - USA weight lifting association

rob35145 is offline Junior Member
    sorry, posted twice.

BP85 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the info, you guys are a big help!

decadbal is offline Banned
    ISSA is a grea cert, i went to school for nutrition, which helped with some of the stuff on the cft, not alot, but you take alot of diff corses for a degree in nutrtion so it wasnt super hard for me, i didnt do that 3day thing, i got the stuff and studied for about 2months to get mine, the 3days is to get your foot in the door, the time after that is to make sure you learn it, and apply it properly.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I have a Kin degree. I also took a few PT courses and they're a complete waste of time.

With a Kin degree, I don't even have to have a PT cert. to work at any gym, if you have a degree, you're as good as gold.

But don't waste your time as a trainer if you get your Kin degree, go where the real money is.

diesel21 is offline Member
    most certs ar garbage,, anyone w/ half a brain can be cert,
    its what you do w. it

Thread Information