956Vette is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer
    Blog Entries

Fruits and veggies no help against cancer

Do people seriously get paid for doing this type of stupid**** studies?? Why did i drop med-school?

Fruits and veggies no help against cancer

Nov 03 (Reuters Health) - Consuming a diet that is high in fruits and vegetables seems to reduce the risk of heart attack and strokes, but not cancer, according to a report in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

Dr. Walter C. Willett, from the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston, and colleagues investigated the protective effects of such diets by analyzing data from 71,910 women who participated in the Nurses' Health study and from 37,725 men who participated in the Health Professionals' Follow-up Study.

All of the subjects were free from major disease when the studies began in the mid-1980s and they were followed through 1998. Food frequency questionnaires were administered on a regular basis to assess diet.

During follow-up, 9329 cases of heart attack, stroke, cancer, or death occurred among women and 4957 occurred among men.

Compared with no fruit or vegetable intake, consuming five or more servings per day reduced the risk of heart attack and stroke by 12 percent, the researchers note. In contrast, no effect on cancer risk was seen.

Further analysis revealed that consumption of green leafy vegetables provided the greatest reduction in heart attack and stroke risk. Consuming just one serving per day decreased the risk by 11 percent.

"Our results provide further evidence that high intake of fruits and vegetables is associated with a modest reduction in major chronic disease risk and support the recommendation of consuming five or more servings of fruits and vegetables daily," the authors state.

SOURCE: Journal of the National Cancer Institute, November 3, 2004.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    well i hope the ligans in my flax oil work

cb25 is offline Banned
    Maybe so...but the fiber associated with fruits and veggies has been shown to reduce rates of colorectal cancer, if i'm not mistaken.

so eat your 5aday...just like your told

craneboy is offline Senior Member
    thats stupid

Pale Horse is offline F.I.L.F.
    No there are worse, at least this shows some sort of intelligence. There was one in Canada or possibly America where they were given millions to study the effect of cow flatulance (farting) and it's effect on the ozone layer and global warming!!!!!

Boost n Juice is offline Associate Member
    I've read that red grapes have helped people get rid of cancer...

http://www.excel.net/~jaguar/grapes.html

They had cancer, did the red grape diet, and didn't have cancer anymore. The question is, was it grapes, or something mental...

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1victor
    No there are worse, at least this shows some sort of intelligence. There was one in Canada or possibly America where they were given millions to study the effect of cow flatulance (farting) and it's effect on the ozone layer and global warming!!!!!
    I am familiar with that study, their contention was that cows fart methane, methane is a greenhouse gas, millions of cows all farting greenhouse gases deplete the ozone, or so they say. Never saw their conclusions....doubt I need to

diesel21 is offline Member
    i think it helps a little, most docs and their studies are crap...... fruits have antiox's which help with waste in ur body, that helps already........

Quote Originally Posted by diesel21
    i think it helps a little, most docs and their studies are crap...... fruits have antiox's which help with waste in ur body, that helps already........
    Yeah so you think...

Actually about all the studies on phytochemicals are positive
    (health, musclegain, fatloss, sexual performance, lifespan, reducing risks diseases and stress etc.) too bad that most fruits and vegetables only contain a small amount and thanks to cross-breeding and genetic modification based on taste or size or appearance of fruit (instead of concentration of these exotic wonderdrugs) it just keeps getting harder and harder to get some "in".

Actually the old free radical theory doesn't apply to all the vitamins any more (especially Vitamine E supplementation just seems getting more and more of a bad idea) --> Your body isn't stupid and has its own defense mechanims; in the case of cancer it is called cell apoptosis (programmed cell death) meaning a cell when it is damaged beyond repair (according to the laws of Thermodynamics involving Enthalpy and Enthropy; meaning it is just as simple as this; like when your car is in an accident and declared a "total loss" meaning it would cost more to repair it then to replace it) just is that some Vitamines seem "to good at their job" they protect the cell to such a degree that they affect the apoptosis mechanism thus letting cells who are better of dying to live and so increasing chances of tumor (a cell that can't stop multiplying).

Greets
    Kingofmasters

edit: no reason to start any trouble, good post. Vette

Thread Information