Thread: carb load

whalerider is offline Banned

carb load

In order to prevent muscle loss from morning cardio...should I carb load the night before to ensure my muslces are full.

I have tried morning cardio vbefore and end up losing muscle out the ying yang.

thanks.

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Loading up on carbs won't do anything but prevent you from burning fat as fuel.

Also depends on the type of cardio you do. As well, if most of the blood glucose is gone by the a.m. (overnight fast) what good is loading up on carbs anyhow? That won't prevent muscle loss, no.

The way in which you eat to support your cardio/exercise is what is "anti-catabolic".

~SC~

xenithon is offline Member
    Take a whey shake 30 minutes before AM cardio. Won't hinder fat loss, and will aid in preventing muscle loss.

X

Please enlighten me as to how this would take place.

~SC~

To be very honest, I cannot. Unfortunately not everything is discovered in a lab. This is through experimentation and experience (personal, as well as many others I know). Was doing a lot of morning cardio as per all the suggestions here. It became very catabolic and causing muscle loss. Started taking a shake 30-40 minutes before cardio and no more muscle loss. Nothing else in the diet was altered.

X

I'll just leave it alone, it's Saturday, I have to get out of the office.

Glad you found what works for ya.......................

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by xenithon
    To be very honest, I cannot. Unfortunately not everything is discovered in a lab. This is through experimentation and experience (personal, as well as many others I know). Was doing a lot of morning cardio as per all the suggestions here. It became very catabolic and causing muscle loss. Started taking a shake 30-40 minutes before cardio and no more muscle loss. Nothing else in the diet was altered.

X
    Thanks for the advice x. I will give that a shot. The weird thing is that on these boards you get so much contradictory advice about cardio. Like you said you found what works best for you and that really is all that matters.

It is possible that the protein can prevent catabolism by the nitrogen increase thus stoping catabolism and further cortisol release. There are so many different variables. Genetics. Somatping. Leptin levels. etc.

Yes but unfortunately as is the case on these boards too, if one does not agree with the 'board norm' they get shot down and told they have not clue what they're talking about. Oh well Experiment, and find what works for you - it's the only way to go about it really!.

X

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    i agree that you just need to experiment with what works. while dieting for my show i did no AM cardio, i think a lot of it depends on how lean you are already. I always found that AM cardio made me feel sh!tty, but if it works for you go for it.

Yeah. I found that AM cardio made me feel a bit icky too, but since adding the whey shake prior it has really helped. I am not talking about a major shake 5 minutes before - a small shake with around 15g protein taken 30 minutes has worked wonders. I find AM cardio to be very effective but if I can't get it in due to schedule constraints for example, I would do it at least 3 hours after my last solid meal.

X

The issue is no one seems to be questioning the physiological differences of different intensities of cardio. (high,med,low) Keep it low, and your fine. Keep it moderate or high, and your chance of losing muscle is higher since that kind of cardio is reliant upon glucose stores, for which at that time of the day there are basically none.

This isn't rocket science.

Do cardio before breakfast.

Many believe cortisol is high in the a.m., however your testosterone is also rising and testosterone helps build and preserve lean tissue. Because the ratio between the two does not change significantly you can use this time to your advantage. Some studies have shown that you can burn as much as 300% more fat by doing cardio at this time than any other time of the day. A.M. cardio is only catabolic for those who have no idea how to support lean mass preservation/positive nitrogen balance the other 23+ hours of the day.

Again, it's all dependent on the type of cardio you do, that is very important to what results you see/do not see. My clients don't eat before cardio, and their success is fantastic, but I also know that their nutritional needs are addressed 100%, hence no issues. Genetics and your weight routine/total dietary plan of attack/PWO feedings/etc., will all play a role in your success.

You have to have the total package and plan of attack to be successful. I didn't get to where I am today being noticed for assisting 1000's for being incorrect in what I do. Perhaps the way in which I have people eat/train/etc. has something to do with that, and if so, that's great because it means I have a pretty fool-proof plan of attack.

The best as always is to find what works for YOU, and since you have done that, that's "great".

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 11-14-2004 at 11:09 AM.

Yes but unfortunately as is the case on these boards too, if one does not agree with the 'board norm' they get shot down and told they have not clue what they're talking about. Oh well Experiment, and find what works for you - it's the only way to go about it really!.

X
    lol. I think your point in proven.

Once again thanks bro.

It's not a board norm, it's common sense.

Do as you wish, I really don't care as I know what works for me and those I instruct, so just find what works for you.

~SC~

Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    It's not a board norm, it's common sense.

Do as you wish, I really don't care as I know what works for me and those I instruct, so just find what works for you.

~SC~
    swolecat......If you really don't care then why do you keep posting on this issue. It has already been established in the replys that this is what works for some. Why then do you have to keep triing to start an arguement?

No flame here bro. Just curious.

I am sure that some of your clients disagree with your "common sense" aproach.. Because unlike rocket science...human physiology is much more complex. That is why there are so many diverse practices and workout regimes.

However, I am also assuming that your dietary practices are not up for intellectual debate in this forum.

So I will leave this and any other opinions from you irrelavant, and this issue closed untill that is possible.

Thank you.

CAPS......

Quote Originally Posted by whalerider
    swolecat......If you really don't care then why do you keep posting on this issue.
    I FEEL LIKE IT FIRST AND FOREMOST, IT'S A FREE COUNTRY. WHAT ARE YOU, THE POSTING POLICE?

AS WELL, I AM THE DIET GURU VET HERE, SO I CAN DO AS I WISH, THANKS. I'VE BEEN AROUND FAR BEFORE YOU ARRIVED HERE, SO PLEASE, DON'T GO THERE. IN ADDITION, I DON'T FEEL IT PRODUCTIVE TO EAT BEFORE CARDIO, NO, AND I WILL "PRESENT" MY SIDE OF MY ARGUMENT AS MANY TIMES OVER AS I FEEL LIKE DOING. IF YOU DON'T LIKE THIS, PERHAPS YOU SHOULD STAY OUT OF THE THREAD? PERHAPS GET OFF THE CPU AND DO SOME CARDIO?

It has already been established in the replys that this is what works for some. Why then do you have to keep triing to start an arguement?

I'M NOT, I'M STATING MY OPINION. IF YOU'D ACTUALLY READ MY COMMENTS ABOVE ABOUT TYPES OF CARDIO, YOU'D SEE I WAS OFFERING INSIGHT. HOWEVER, WHEN YOU RESPOND W/A SMART (__!__) REMARK LIKE "I THINK YOUR POINT IS PROVEN" AS SEEN ABOVE, THEN OF COURSE I'M GOING TO REPLY. (AS WELL, YOU SAID "POINT IN PROVEN", BUT I'M NOT GRADING PAPERS HERE)

So I will leave this and any other opinions from you irrelavant, and this issue closed untill that is possible.

Thank you.
    I'M NOT THE ONE W/THE ISSUE OF LOSING FAT AND/OR MUSCLE, SO YOU CAN LEAVE IT IF YOU WISH OR REPLY AGAIN, I DON'T CARE.

~SC~
    Last edited by SwoleCat; 11-14-2004 at 08:44 PM.

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    wow are you guys for real!?!?!?! the reason you are going into atrophy from your cardio is b/c the rest of your diet might not me intake. but GOD FORBID you post your diet and adjust that, b/c that cant be the prob right? best of luck too the TOO YOUS on your diet venture.

dcb

p.s. i now have a headach.

Ricky Bobby is offline New Member
    Yeah. I found that AM cardio made me feel a bit icky too, but since adding the whey shake prior it has really helped. I am not talking about a major shake 5 minutes before - a small shake with around 15g protein taken 30 minutes has worked wonders. I find AM cardio to be very effective but if I can't get it in due to schedule constraints for example, I would do it at least 3 hours after my last solid meal.

X
    i've found that whey (not carbs) prior to cardio has preserved mass while allowing me to cut up..just me though

TR'05 is offline Member
    This thread is from '04, broheim.

svarturer is offline Senior Member
    ricky_bobby

where were you digging

lol

audis4 is offline Eat, Sleep, Lift...Repeat!
    ricky this is like the 3rd old thread you brought from the dead...make it the last one please!

Ricky Bobby is offline New Member
    don't be such a hater

1buffsob is offline Mr.Modesty
    LMAO! No one's hating man, but there's no use in bringing up the past. Especially when there's only one of the original posters still around. bigsd67. And I think he already knows this.

Thread Information