Hugh-Hefner's-Son is offline Associate Member

Early AM Pre Workout Meal ??

I am only able to lift at 7am for six days a week. What type of Pre-Workout meals could I have that would digest and benift me for a workout. The time frame fom waking up till liftiing is about a half hour = 3o mins.

Would an apple and whey + milk shake be any good

Imdealnjuice is offline Banned
    Don't eat too much or your breathing is going to be way off. But eat alittle something.

+

I forgot to mention that I have little time to prepare or eat the actual meal

i would just eat an eas protein bar and go from there.

+

lol , are you serious , those bars are loaded with sugar and take forever to digest. IMO it would not help at all and would be a waste of cals

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    Not sure if this is the best but when I'm in that situation, I just sip a gatorade and workout. Then hit up PWO nutrition and eat 1 hour after the pwo...

BiggerBri2002 is offline Senior Member
    YEah,

Its not ideal but I was told just to go on an empty stomach or just coffee to get a little boost.

well the only reason i would eat a eas protein bar is because the carbs that it has in it, so u will have some energy.

UrbanLegend is offline Senior Member
    I work out in the morning. I take half my PWO shake before I workout, then the rest after. Make sure to include carbs, even if you are dieting (JMO on that one). Your body is just waking up and it needs fuel.

BiggerBri2002 is offline Senior Member
    Hey,

I wanted to bump this thread becuase I have the same situation. What is good if you have only around 30 minutes before lifting in the morning???

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    Try some oatmeal and a protein shake!

~SC~

+

what about an apple and pro shake ?? So I am assuming its okay to have a shake before workout and then your dex + whey shake after as well.

NotSmall is offline English Rudeboy
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoleCat
    Try some oatmeal and a protein shake!

~SC~
    Hey that's just what I do! - Swole have you been spying on me again?

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    First off you just went all nite without anything. Your body is moving into a catabolic state. You need fuel asap first thing in the morning. That is for everyone. Set your alarm 10 or 15 minutes back so that you'll have a little extra time to eat and digest. You'll need a fast digesting protein source and some carbs. I suggest a protein shake mixed with whatever you want and maybe some fruit and a glass of orange juice or coffee or whater. I think 30 minutes would be plenty of time between eating this and your workout. I dont think its really not going to make a difference what you eat, you just need to eat something. Get your muscles jam packed with glycogen, add some protein and have a killer workout. If you do cardio in the morning I still would suggest eating a protein shake with water and no carbs or fats beforehand. You'll burn more more calories from carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 6_pak
    Get your muscles jam packed with glycogen, add some protein and have a killer workout.
    To get your muscles "jam packed", you'd have to consume the carbs FAR earlier to accomplish this. You will however have glucose in the BLOOD for energy.

Just had to clarify. What you eat does not make it into your muscles in 20-30 mins.

~SC~

+

With that being said Swole, what would you suggest if one is going to lift 20 minutes after waking up. Is there any meal that can be consumed to have a little benifit.

6_pak is offline Associate Member
    I understand that sc. i was actually refering to energy levels and the "wait 30 min. after eating before going into the water" scenerio. I dont like being stuffed and working out. I usually wait 45 min. to an hour after my pre workout meal before lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by 6_pak
    I understand that sc. i was actually refering to energy levels and the "wait 30 min. after eating before going into the water" scenerio. I dont like being stuffed and working out. I usually wait 45 min. to an hour after my pre workout meal before lifting.
    Cool bro, I agree!

~SC~

mitch911 is offline Member
    Also ive heard that eating that apple or piece of fruit before does nothing as to packing glycogen into the muscles. Fruit goes to the liver and not to the mucles so it isnt an ideal preworkout source of carbs. Anybody agree..

BassMuscle is offline Associate Member
    I get up at 3am to eat 4 slices of whole wheat bread and a protein shake, that I leave right next to me so I don't have to get out of bed, because I workout at 5am. It usually takes me like 2 or 3 min to get that in, and I'm good to go. and then to bed again, then get up again to the gym

That works for me.

BassMuscle

Thread Information