Thread: pwo meal??

6_pak is offline Associate Member

pwo meal??

On Monday- Wednesday i work out from 11:30pm to 12:45am due to my schedule. I usually get in bed around 1:30. I know i need simple sugars after working out, but isnt it bad to take them right before bed. Thoughts please??

SwoleCat is offline AR Hall of Fame
    If you have performed activity (weight training) in a relatively intense fashion that demands you replinish muscle glycogen pwo and the shuttling of aminos in for immediate repair, then it does not matter what time of day/night you do this. If one were to sit on his/her (__!__) and eat a boatload of pasta or something at night, well, then that's another story. As well, pwo is best served with two meals as well.

~SC~

whalerider is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6_pak
    On Monday- Wednesday i work out from 11:30pm to 12:45am due to my schedule. I usually get in bed around 1:30. I know i need simple sugars after working out, but isnt it bad to take them right before bed. Thoughts please??
    Some would argue that yes it is bad to take before carbs because it hinders gh....

Wilderbeast is offline New Member
    Wouldnt it only hinder gh release if the amount you ingest spills over the amount that the muscles take up?

Would you rather not replinish muscle glycogen, ingest aminos, and begin adequate recovery, or sit on empty hoping your body releases some miracle amount of GH?

You do the math.

Even if you released all of this GH at night to some wonderful extent, not eating after working out (replinishing glycogen and beginning the recovery process) would negate any positivity from the GH release.

The answer is quite obvious.

~SC~

whalerider is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilderbeast
    Wouldnt it only hinder gh release if the amount you ingest spills over the amount that the muscles take up?

You originally asked if this was "bad". Some would argue that taking high gi in the form of oldschool dextrose is "bad" after any workout....this has been debated, and debated adnausum...some pros only ingest preworkout drinks because they feel that this works best for them. And also some say that they only take in lowgylcemic carbs because the insulin spike takes them out of lyposlysis.

In addition, in several of swolecats thread he mentions the futility in taking carbs before bed.....

ultimately, you want to do what the optimum thing is and that takes exsperimentation on your part..let us know what works for you and hit us up and update in a stickey if it differentiates from the norm...

good luck
    peace

Carbs before bed with no activity = not a good idea.

Carbs before bed after extensive weight training = just fine.

Again, context/context/context people, that is imperative in accurate advice.

~SC~

Thread Information